My Zoanthids and SPS mixed nano system

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
My system turned 1 year old today (yesterday) so I thought it's a perfect time to finally write down that build thread I always wanted
The system started with dry live rocks and dry crushed corals sand which I replaced after a few months with Caribesea Ocean Direct since I figured it captures tons of detritus and no invert could swift it

My build is a custom size build, everything was designed by myself, my LFS made the glass and stand work for me, and I did the plumbing although I haven't done with it yet
I'm focusing on Zoanthids, mushrooms, and some SPS since these are my favorite corals

Tank dimensions:
60x50x50 cm
I always wanted a 50 cube so I thought why not give myself just a bit more room for activity

Sump:
45x40x40 cm

recently I shut down a 2yo nano so I added a frag tank to this system since I didn't had enough room for all the corals in the display

Frag tank dimensions:
45x45x35cm

Total system volume - about 250L/65G

All the overflows are external to maximize space and for flow, I had two drills done at the back of the tank for the return to emphasize the clean look

As for gear:
For lighting
I use Ecotech Radion XR30 blue in the main display
and Redsea ReefLED 90 in the frag tank
The Skimmer is Nyos Quantum 120, I made the skimmer chamber 21cm high following the manufacturer's instructions to make sure it will perform perfectly
The UV Sterilizer is Vecton V2 600 25W
For Temperature control I use Inkbird ITC308 wifi version which I replaced the stainless steel probe with a plastic probe because I used to have a tin problem so I don't trust metals in my tank at all
For heating I use Eheim 100W, and for the really cold periods I add another Eheim 50W because I lack some space in the sump so It's not there all the time
For cooling I have a Hailea HC-150A 1/10HP
The return pump is Ecotech Vectra M2
Inside the sump pumps for the cooler, UV, and reactors are Ecotech Vectra S2 and Sicce Syncra 1.5 which I also replaced the stock stainless steel shaft with a ceramic shaft
ATO is Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152

I'm using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt
I do a 10% water change every week and use Microbe-Lift Special Blend biweekly
Redsea Carbon and Fauna Marin Phos 004 are always running in separate reactors and are replaced monthly
A bag of Chemi-Pure Blue is placed in the first sump chamber and replaced every 3 months (or so)

Water parameters:
nitrate 25ppm
phosphate 0.04
Calcium 440
Alkalinity 7.3 dkH
Magnesium 1440
PH 7.9-8.1
PAR 150-270

I don't shoot for ANY parameter (other than PAR and po4), I just make sure everything is stable and within an acceptable range.
I'm a bit lazy so I do what I have to do and let nature do its thing.

Problems/challenges:
-I'm dealing with two pests algae, lettuce, and valonia :'(
- Elevated phosphate - controlled with phos 004 by fauna marine

Tank fish and inverts population:
2 green Chromis
1 fire gobi
1 green mandarin goby
1 pipefish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 small scopas tang - I have an algae problem, a reefer got to do what a reefer got to do, I'll love him to a new and bigger home when he will grow. Please don't call the cops on me
2 fire shrimps
1 huge black brittle star
Few conch snails
Tons of turbo snails
Few nassarius snails
Short spine urchin
Few hermit crabs

I think that's it...

If anyone has any questions about anything please feel free to ask

And now for the fun part! The Photos! Some I took today, and some are from the building process, I'm sure you'll figure out which is which
Whoever wants to see some more pictures and would like to keep updated is invited to follow my IG account @Zoa.Mania
IMG_7865.jpg IMG_6091.jpg IMG_6090.jpg IMG_6089.jpg IMG_6088.jpg IMG_6087.jpg IMG_6086.jpg IMG_6085.jpg IMG_6084.jpg IMG_6082.jpg IMG_6080.jpg IMG_6079.jpg IMG_6074.jpg IMG_6071.jpg IMG_6069.jpg IMG_6099.jpg IMG_6093.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
My system turned 1 year old today (yesterday) so I thought it's a perfect time to finally write down that build thread
The system das started with dry live rocks and dry crushed corals sand which I replaced after a few months with Caribesea Ocean Direct since I figured it captures tons of detritus and no invert could swift it

My build is a custom size build, everything was designed by myself, my LFS made the glass and stand work for me, and I did the plumbing although I haven't done with it yet
I'm focusing on Zoanthids, mushrooms, and some SPS since these are my favorite corals

Tank dimensions:
60x50x50 cm
I always wanted a 50 cube so I thought why not give myself just a bit more room for activity

Sump:
45x40x40 cm

recently I shut down a 2yo nano so I added a frag tank to this system since I didn't have enough room for all the corals in the display

Frag tank dimensions:
45x45x35cm

Total system volume - about 250L/65G

All the overflows are external to maximize space and for flow, I had two drills at the back of the tank for the return to emphasize the clean look

As for gear:
For lighting
I use Ecotech Radion XR30 blue in the main display
and Redsea ReefLED 90 in the frag tank
The Skimmer is Nyos Quantum 120, I made the skimmer chamber 21cm high following the manufacturer's instructions to make sure it will perform perfectly
The UV Sterilizer is Vecton V2 600 25W
For Temperature control I use Inkbird ITC308 wifi version which I replaced the stainless steel probe with a plastic probe because I used to have a tin problem so I don't trust metals in my tank at all
For heating I use Eheim 100W, and for the really cold periods I add another Eheim 50W because I lack some space in the sump so It's not there all the time
For cooling I have a Hailea HC-150A 1/10HP
The return pump is Ecotech Vectra M2
Inside the sump pumps for the cooler, UV, and reactors are Ecotech Vectra S2 and Sicce Syncra 1.5 which I also replaced the stock stainless steel shaft with a ceramic shaft
ATO is Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152

I'm using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt
I do a 10% water change every week and use Microbe-Lift Special Blend biweekly
Redsea Carbon and Fauna Marin Phos 004 are always running in separate reactors and are replaced monthly
A bag of Chemi-Pure Blue is placed in the first sump chamber and replaced every 3 months (or so)

Water parameters:
nitrate 25ppm
phosphate 0.04
Calcium 440
Alkalinity 7.3 dkH
Magnesium 1440
PH 7.9-8.1
PAR 150-270

I don't shoot for ANY parameter (other than PAR and po4), I just make sure everything is stable and within an acceptable range.
I'm a bit lazy so I do what I have to do and let nature do its thing.

Problems/challenges:
I'm dealing with two pests algae, lettuce, and valonia :'(

Tank fish population:
2 green Chromis
1 fire gobi
1 green mandarin goby
1 pipefish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 small scopas tang - I have an algae problem, a reefer got to do what a reefer got to do, please don't call the cops on me
2 fire shrimps
1 huge black brittle star
Few conch snails
Tons of turbo snails
Few nassarius snails
Short spine urchin
Few hermit crabs

I think that's it...

If anyone has any questions about anything please feel free to ask

And now for the fun part! The Photos! Some I took today, and some are from the building process, I'm sure you'll figure out which is which
Whoever wants to see some more pictures and would like to keep updated is invited to follow my IG account @Zoa.Mania

IMG_7865.jpg IMG_6091.jpg IMG_6090.jpg IMG_6089.jpg IMG_6088.jpg IMG_6087.jpg IMG_6086.jpg IMG_6085.jpg IMG_6084.jpg IMG_6082.jpg IMG_6080.jpg IMG_6079.jpg IMG_6074.jpg IMG_6071.jpg IMG_6069.jpg IMG_6099.jpg IMG_6093.jpg
Some amazing looking coral!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back