Mysterious Growth on Return Pump - HELP

SR_11/2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am new to the Reefing Hobby and just stared my first set-up in November of 2022 with an old tank I used for freshwater (cleaned thoroughly). I do weekly water changes of around 15-25% but have never cleaned the chamber that houses my pump (including the pump) since staring the tank. I will list my water parameters bellow - I did however have to leave for two and a half weeks and all that was done to the tank is feed/empty skimmer. I did a 45% water change yesterday and the parameters are from right before.

Attached are photos of my issue... in person it looked way creepier. I took apart and cleaned the pump (as well as everything else) last night and could only find whatever that was in that one area. I have a plethora of issues but this one was the most concerning.

Just looking for an ID and how to prevent this, hopefully starting up a new tank "true" reef tank end of this summer.

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

Salinity: 1.025
Temperature: 78ºF
Alkilinity (KH): 4.1 = 8.9dKH (usually around 10)
Amonia: 0.15 - salifert : 0 - API (usually 0)
Nitrate: 0.2ppm
Phosphate: 13 = 0.040ppm
Calcium: 0.18 = 410ppm
Magnesium: 0.12 = 1320ppm

Tank Spec. : 32.5 Fluval Flex (upgraded everything possible)
Pre-trip tank photo - I didn't get one yesterday before the clean
IMG_0478.jpg

Thanks for your time,

Spenser

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just a sponge. Nothing to worry about and actually a good sign for your tank.

ReefBoost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of Stranger Things...keep an eye on it :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
(But yeah that kind of looks like my return pump after not checking it/cleaning it for a bit lol)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back