Mystery algae?

Mandarin the first

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2018
Messages
22
Reaction score
5
Location
New zealand
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help identify what is taking over my tank? I don’t have access to a microscope to check it accurately.
Parameters:
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78f
Po4 0 (Hanna ulr)
No3 0.25ppm (red sea pro)
Alk 8.7
Cal 440
Mag 1340

I cannot get detectable nutrients (apart from some nitrates when I feed really heavy) due to whatever this is sucking po4 and no3 up. Most of it can be blown off with a turkey baster easily and turns into almost a dust. However by the next day or two it grows back to how it was. Doesn’t seem to disappear at night from what I can tell. Am ready to start dosing nutrients to detectable levels depending on what this is.

6C441461-9B82-43FD-9CFA-07FB501E7BA7.jpeg 22CD518B-74A3-4FCC-B007-BD37E6BB51EB.jpeg 5C2842B3-8FF7-4786-982F-CFDDE0B48CD3.jpeg EBA7103C-56DF-4F38-A509-F652A7037249.jpeg
 
Can anyone help identify what is taking over my tank? I don’t have access to a microscope to check it accurately.
Parameters:
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78f
Po4 0 (Hanna ulr)
No3 0.25ppm (red sea pro)
Alk 8.7
Cal 440
Mag 1340

I cannot get detectable nutrients (apart from some nitrates when I feed really heavy) due to whatever this is sucking po4 and no3 up. Most of it can be blown off with a turkey baster easily and turns into almost a dust. However by the next day or two it grows back to how it was. Doesn’t seem to disappear at night from what I can tell. Am ready to start dosing nutrients to detectable levels depending on what this is.

6C441461-9B82-43FD-9CFA-07FB501E7BA7.jpeg 22CD518B-74A3-4FCC-B007-BD37E6BB51EB.jpeg 5C2842B3-8FF7-4786-982F-CFDDE0B48CD3.jpeg EBA7103C-56DF-4F38-A509-F652A7037249.jpeg
I don’t see how this much biomass can be removed by blowing it off the rock and then it grows back in a day.

The organism looks like filamentous algae and it looks infested with a brown slime, maybe dinoflagellates. It might also be harboring cyanobacteria. When algae is stressed from low nutrients and high light intensity, it turns ugly like this. It also seems to be unappetizing to snails.
 
It’s like a lighter coating blows off easily and leaves the stubborn filamentous parts. But it is very quick growing.
 
Anyone else have any ideas? I asked a local reefer chat and they seemed to think it was Dino’s
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new