N-DOC on its way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday I’ll be receiving my first N-DOC test kit. Can’t wait to get some insight into my tank’s nutrient problems. Currently suffering from a stringy brown bacterial outbreak that is coating every part of my display tank and irritating some of my corals. I believe it was spawned by my overzealous use of an amino acid supplement. But a month before I was also suffering from low nutrients due to under feeding.

I should be able to get the N-DOC in the mail by Saturday (1/12/19). I’ll share my findings a soon as Triton notifies me.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also be getting the new n-doc test in a couple of weeks...also cant wait ...very curious as to the results

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. What exactly will this show, and how will the data be usable?

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-1-21_10-0-56.png

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I sent an email to Triton to see how I should proceed. First interesting point, my alkalinity from Triton is pretty close to the Red Sea Test kit, but about one full dkh low using the Salifert test kit. This just goes to show that I should probably be targeting 8 dkh so Alkalinity doesn't go too low or too high.

I've had a problem in the past with 0 Nitrate and coral deaths so I have been adding a lot of food, amino acids, and also dosing NaNO3. Looks like I have gone overboard because had Cyano and then Dinos. It may be that I can let my NO3 drop down now that I'm feeding enough? The Chaeto seems to thin out when I hit 1ppm NO3.

I don't use a skimmer and that may be an issue moving forward. I really don't want to use a skimmer again if I don't have to. The Bubble Magus I had was loud, needed continual maintenance, and never produced much skimmate in my tank. I hated it.

I wish this test wasn't so spendy because I would like to use it monthly to see how my feeding habits affects the organics in the tank. Should I ever use Amino Acids? Maybe my tank makes enough aminos as it is?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you go too triton too check your results for a normal icp test then you click on your last test results when they come up and you scroll down you get 3 red bars too choose from....
Data
Help
Dose
Is that not the same with the N-doc test....????
As for a skimmer I have a bubble magus C6 in my sump ....it's quiet I never here it ...in fact my return pomp makes more noise ...but you have a refugium and I don't..so I need a skimmer ..

OP
OP
Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you go too triton too check your results for a normal icp test then you click on your last test results when they come up and you scroll down you get 3 red bars too choose from....
Data
Help
Dose
Is that not the same with the N-doc test....????
As for a skimmer I have a bubble magus C6 in my sump ....it's quiet I never here it ...in fact my return pomp makes more noise ...but you have a refugium and I don't..so I need a skimmer ..

There is some advice for dosing as in the ICP test, but one thing I know I've been doing is feeding very heavy and dosing NO3. Nowhere in the help does it address the possibility that I'm just throwing way to much food in the tank. That's why I emailed the company. I guess I could stop dosing Nitrate and see what happens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back