NA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the foam covers in my tank. My mandarin and other fish have yet to be sucked through the pumps. I never turn mine off, or reduce the flow for feedings. If you remove the foam covers and feed, worst case, the food gets stuck on the side of the powerhead for a second before getting blown around the tank.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'll certainly take partial responsibility for using these pumps with the Blennies. But at the same time, I would consider myself a bit of a noob that didn't really know any better at the time of purchase. I'd hate to think that killing fish is a right of passage to learn the hobby. If I had to do it over again I'd go with gyres or other pump like the Tunze. I have two gyres in the tank as well and like them quite a bit. And as far as I can tell there's no risk of blending fish like this with the gyres.
Unfortunately, in our quest to put these animals in a glass box for our own selfish enjoyment, we tend to kill a lot in the learning process.

But I must warn you now before you start a thread in the Coralvue forum titled "Beautiful anemone blended in Gyre!" It can happen. Then I will be be there to tell you. "If you just kept those MP40s with the foam covers, you wouldn't be posting this. But until that day, happy reefing!

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, in our quest to put these animals in a glass box for our own selfish enjoyment, we tend to kill a lot in the learning process. "

Yeah, I'm starting to question whether this hobby makes any sense for those that really appreciate the ocean and marine animals. The amount of death involved with this hobby seems very high and a lot people involved with it just don't seem to care all that much.

I mean seriously, this poor blenny was stolen from it's home in the ocean, shipped around the world and then arrived to my tank to be blended to death. what the heck.

Really struggling with this lately.

"But I must warn you now before you start a thread in the Coralvue forum titled "Beautiful anemone blended in Gyre!" It can happen. Then I will be be there to tell you. "If you just kept those MP40s with the foam covers, you wouldn't be posting this. But until that day, happy reefing!"

Good to know. The gyres came mesh sleeves though - wonder if those work to keep out anemones.

Last edited:

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** Most of this was written before the last few posts, but the message remains the same.

Umm. If I didn't have the foam pads on I'd have a whole lot more than one dead fish. Are you serious? Do any of you saying these things have Blennies? They would not last a week without the side pads.

I will speak up as someone that exclusively uses Ecotech Vortech pumps and keeps many small fish; blennies and gobies are favorites of mine and I keep several.
I had four MP40's on my 120gal that ran very high without any foam guards. I have two MP10's on my 32gal that run continuously without any foam guards. Once a month, a remove the wet sides for maintenance and cleaning; thus the pumps are turned off. The pump's prop is very accessible at all times, so I should plenty of dead fish; right?

But, I have never had an issue with small fish getting sucked into the pumps while running at high speeds. And, yes, the blennies (and other herbivorous fish) do like to insect the pumps for algae when they're turned off. I have even seen some of them resting inside the housing during maintenance. Saying all of that, I have never lost a fish due to being caught in the pumps. Why not??? It is my responsibility to make sure the pump is cleared before turning it back on; it's that simple. I have even seen my Yellow Clown Goby (1-1/4"???) sitting on the housing as the pump is running and it was not getting sucked into the pump.

Calling for a redesign of the housing isn't the all exclusive answer.
How small of an opening are you going to need? There are some very small fish we keep; i.e. cleaner gobies, clown gobies, pipefish, etc. If you're making the openings in the housing that small, it's going to inhibit the performance of the pump itself.

I feel bad for your loss; it's a tough lesson learned. Midas Blennies are awesome!!!
But when one decides to take on the responsibility of caring for these animals, it is their responsibility.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! Wut??? You can't be serious kid... Nevermind. You're right, you're the only human on earth with both the mystical rare Blenny and an EcoTech pump. You should write us a book so we don't all go chopping up our fish. Clearly we must be killing multiple fish per hour with our EcoTech fish choppers. We need your guidance. Well said @jlanger -- Common sense is not so common these days..

Kid? Guess you don't care about all the fish mentioned here meeting a similar end. I'm sure there are many many more out there.

Had a tailspot do the same thing. Loved that little guy to.

I've had this happen three times and it is unfortunate. Recently with a Picasso clown in my MP40 and a Tail spot blenny with an MP10. I've had the same thing happen to another clown with my Neptune WAVs also.

Sorry man for your loss, my longnose hawkfish sits on top of mp10 and I think one day I’ll find the same thing as you

Sorry for the loss. Lost an engineer goby the same way a couple of months ago. I have a lawn mower blenny that gives me regular heart attacks because he periodically likes to sit on top of my WAVs. I keep imagining his swishy tail getting sucked in.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone out there please help get this thread back on track. I know there are more dead fish by Vortecs out there to prove mr. grumpy wrong. Please share.

Last edited:

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most reviews and comments online, you're going to read more negative posts than positive; it's the way society has become these days. I would assume there's plenty of other hobbyists keeping small fish in systems that are using the Ecotech Vortech pumps; there's just no incentive for them to mention it.

Not one person has described to me how I could have avoided this without having a second person.

I'm going to assume that you need to physically turn on/off the pump from the Vortech control box, and not a wi-fi enabled controller.
I'm also going to assume that you break eye contact with the tank while turning on/off the pump.

The easiest method to keep the fish away from the pump is to scare the fish so that it retreats to its hole in the rocks. Even then, an extra wave of the hand at the fish should spook it enough so that it remains in the hole for the quick moment to turn the pump on.
A second method is to add some food to the center of the water column away from the pumps. As the fish go to feed, turn the pump back on.

To help reduce your stress involved when turning the pump on, move the control box to a location that is more accessible so you can see the pump the entire time.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestions. My switch is very close to the vortec where this happened as shown below so I'm serious when I say 10 seconds tops (he died by the left side vortec closest to the switch). Did I scare the fish into a hole, no, but it was well away from the power head prior to my initiating the canceling of feed mode in fusion.

img_20180523_175945-jpg.752421

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only warning I am going to issue, follow the ToS, do not use vulgarity, do not attack other members and stay on topic. From this point forward, there will be no warnings issued, you will just be banned from the thread. Thank you

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. Lost an engineer goby the same way a couple of months ago. I have a lawn mower blenny that gives me regular heart attacks because he periodically likes to sit on top of my WAVs. I keep imagining his swishy tail getting sucked in.

Same here lost a engineer. Woke to find his head stuck in the side slit and bids with no flesh flapping around. Glad my daughter didn’t see this

Orion1885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a midas blenny get blended by an mp10 4 years ago. I thought he was going to die but luckily he survived and is happily living in a friends 300 gallon reef.

My current midas luckily shows no interest in the mp40s when they go off.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a midas blenny get blended by an mp10 4 years ago. I thought he was going to die but luckily he survived and is happily living in a friends 300 gallon reef.

My current midas luckily shows no interest in the mp40s when they go off.

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear your's made it through okay. I think it's about time we add a death / incident count to the main thread to see what we're really dealing with here. Keep the stories coming people.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incident noted in related general reef discussion thread:

"I'm sorry for the loss of your Midas. My lawnmower blenny did the same thing about a year ago but it is EcoTech"s MP60. He lived and still is! How, I dont know! He stayed on the sandbed for 3 days poor guy! "

Newtybar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is losing track of the real issue here.

A life is a life...and as reefkeepers I would think we as a community value our livestocks' lives. If it is possible for a life to be lost by something that can be addressed, why are so many against it and blaming it on the operator (real cute with the ID 10t error)?

Let's focus on the real issue...how do we prevent this from happening EVER? If not ever, how can we reduce the casualties? I think it's great the OP decided to call this out and try to address the issue.

Maybe the answer is a mandatory screen, maybe the answer is a warning label, I don't know. Maybe just offer an accessory.

The laissez-faire attitude of "meh it's just a fish, buy another" is everything that is wrong with this hobby. These living beings aren't just ornaments to make our houses look cooler.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is losing track of the real issue here.

A life is a life...and as reefkeepers I would think we as a community value our livestocks' lives. If it is possible for a life to be lost by something that can be addressed, why are so many against it and blaming it on the operator (real cute with the ID 10t error)?

Let's focus on the real issue...how do we prevent this from happening EVER? If not ever, how can we reduce the casualties? I think it's great the OP decided to call this out and try to address the issue.

Maybe the answer is a mandatory screen, maybe the answer is a warning label, I don't know. Maybe just offer an accessory.

The laissez-faire attitude of "meh it's just a fish, buy another" is everything that is wrong with this hobby. These living beings aren't just ornaments to make our houses look cooler.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And good point on the warning label. I just reviewed the ecotech manual and see no obvious warning that fish may be injured by this pump.

I was beginning to wonder about the future of our world based on some of the responses here. I guess there is still hope. Thanks for posting.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people have had a small fish go down an overflow and get shredded in the main return pump, or killed cause it got stuck in the plumbing? Or killed somewhere else after it went through the overflow?

Perhaps there should be warning labels on the back wall of every tank saying "danger - small fish can fit through the overflow slots" And make a federal law just like mattress tags that cant be removed or you go to jail.

They can also post on the back wall of every tank - warning, there is no lid on this so your fish may jump out.

Maybe we should start a thread in every tank manufacturers forum and see how many people lost fish because they didn't have a lid on the tank. Probably alot.

I think my view is obvious.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered these so I don't have to watch a fish get blended ever again. And no more washing sponges either which is nice. Got them from Anemone Protection Guards on facebook.

35645604_281761302366550_8142933224968945664_o.jpg

Thank you for letting us know of this product. Just sent them a message.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people have had a small fish go down an overflow and get shredded in the main return pump, or killed cause it got stuck in the plumbing? Or killed somewhere else after it went through the overflow?

Perhaps there should be warning labels on the back wall of every tank saying "danger - small fish can fit through the overflow slots" And make a federal law just like mattress tags that cant be removed or you go to jail.

They can also post on the back wall of every tank - warning, there is no lid on this so your fish may jump out.

Maybe we should start a thread in every tank manufacturers forum and see how many people lost fish because they didn't have a lid on the tank. Probably alot.

I think my view is obvious.

Actually yes. I think there should be warnings included with tanks to inform people that fish may be able to get into the over flow and or jump out of the tank. The average person is not aware of these things. I just read an article that stated that for every one fish that makes it into a home aquarium 6 died. We should all be trying to move the hobby to become more humane for the animals we claim to care about. I just don't understand how a suggestion to try and make a product safer for marine life is causing so much outrage....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back