Na

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is crashing and I'm looking for reasons why.
Does the Na reading in our lab results indicate the salinity level as to the refractometer?

Is there a difference between calibration solutions for the refractometer and the neptune salinity probe?
My tank is showing 35 with the neptune and 40 with the refractometer?
I’m going to buy some calibration fluids buy not sure what to get?

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 8.49.07 AM.png

Attachments

• doc.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 194

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration fluids are not always universal. In some cases, standards are made to be seawater mimics, so they should read about seawater values no matter what tool you use. However, this is not always the case. Some standards are designed for a specific type of measurement device only.

A refractometer measures refractive index, or how light travels through a fluid. Salinity probes, by contrast, usually measure conductivity. In other words, they measure how a sample conducts electricity. A calibration standard that causes a refractometer to read 1.0264 SG will NOT necessarily cause a conductivity probe to register a conductivity of 53.0 mS/cm. Randy's article on calibration standards gives a different recipe for refractometers as opposed to conductivity meters (as well as a third recipe for hydrometers).

I would not blame overall salinity for your problems just yet. Your salinity is likely high, as your calcium and magnesium are about 64% and 20% higher than natural seawater, respecitvely. But, you so far have two measurements of salinity, a conductivity probe and a refractometer, and neither agree. I would personally make some of Randy's DIY refractive index standard and measure your salinity after calibrating your refractometer.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Na reading in our lab results indicate the salinity level as to the refractometer?

Is there a difference between calibration solutions for the refractometer and the neptune salinity probe?

Salinty is a mix of all the ions, some contribute more than others. This calculator will give you a rough idea from a report:

https://monrecifamoi.saulme.fr/salinite/elements_compute_salinity.php

Calibration solutions vary, they need to be shaken before each use (refractometer solution). Electrical interference can mess with probe readings.

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh no Gene! Keep us posted on what you discover. I have always admired your tank and appreciated our past correspondence on lighting... you are obviously a talented aquarist, so I hope you find a solution swiftly.

Do a quick search on Randy Holmes-Farley. If memory serves he provided a DIY formula for refractometer calibration fluids using table salt.

Fingers crossed from here.

M

EDIT: Gene here is Randy's original article:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/

Last edited:

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isn't there a online salinity calculator were you can upload your icp results?

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After talking to Tim I think throwing out all the algae in the refugium caused an NO3 spike. I 'll know more from the test sent to Triton. I'll never do that again.
A beautiful blue Stylophora spp. bleached out. and a huge green slimer turned completely brown. Most of the corals started tissue recession.
I'm going to do a 25 gallon water change on the 145 gallon system and wait for the test to come back.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neptune salinity probe never seems to be accurate for me, and seems to cause problems for many. I use a Milwaukee refractometer and then just use the Neptune probe to let me judge changes around that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back