Lights just on full, morning! :)

DSC_0100 (1) (1024x675).jpg

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it Si. Seeing your pics and the progression coming back to balance is awesome. Really inspiring journal to see the good bad then the recovery and how you adapt and handle the challenges. TY for your honesty and sharing of thoughts and dreams not to mention some ok pics from time to time ;)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it Si. Seeing your pics and the progression coming back to balance is awesome. Really inspiring journal to see the good bad then the recovery and how you adapt and handle the challenges. TY for your honesty and sharing of thoughts and dreams not to mention some ok pics from time to time ;)

Thank you, I am going to get both tanks tested later for nitrates and phos., I need a baseline for both tanks as I want to start feeding more heavily.
I need to set up the sand filter as well.
If I can get to reasonable levels I can pull the caulerpa and scape the tank better, currently I am using only about half of the scape! ;)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test??? Sand filter? Pull caulerpa?

I am probably feeding as much as someone with a tank 3 or 4 times as big and due to the nps that is only going to increase, I need to see what the corals can take care of on their own, the gorg (s?, I think I found a live bit in the big tank, I will check later) is / are good indicators for high phos.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to come out and give you the results of my Nitrate and Phos. results and then walk away whilst people fall about laughing, I will explain later or tomorrow.

I explained to G (Gina) at my lfs what I was trying to do with the puddle and said I wanted their baseline, she makes the shop's phyto!
I picked up new test kits.
She came back with the test vials behind her back and asked me what I expected so I said maybe .1 phos and 50 nitrates!
We looked in 3 different lights and had someone else take a look, ... nothing! :eek:
She even checked my salinity in case I had given her ro between tests! :p

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to come out and give you the results of my Nitrate and Phos. results and then walk away whilst people fall about laughing, I will explain later or tomorrow.

I explained to G (Gina) at my lfs what I was trying to do with the puddle and said I wanted their baseline, she makes the shop's phyto!
I picked up new test kits.
She came back with the test vials behind her back and asked me what I expected so I said maybe .1 phos and 50 nitrates!
We looked in 3 different lights and had someone else take a look, ... nothing! :eek:
She even checked my salinity in case I had given her ro between tests! :p
Maybe there is something in the theory that you can control nitrates and PO4 with phyto....

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there is something in the theory that you can control nitrates and PO4 with phyto....

This is the biggest part of my explanation, yes it is the phyto, I am going to remove all the caulerpa tomorrow, I have already added about 5 times the daily dose of liquid food today and will cut the phyto back to twice a day, I guess nowhere to hide starting at zero?! ;)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this today as it needs rescuing?!
I know the ladies that this belongs to, they have had some issues with their tank so are nervous!
It is perfectly healthy but they couldn't get it to open, people have spoken to them over the past few months, I think they are scared of the tank, we need 2 or 3 of us at the lfs to get our heads together and educate them and calm them down!
Just in and just! :)

DSC_0101 (1024x794).jpg

DSC_0103 (1) (1024x760).jpg

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the biggest part of my explanation, yes it is the phyto, I am going to remove all the caulerpa tomorrow, I have already added about 5 times the daily dose of liquid food today and will cut the phyto back to twice a day, I guess nowhere to hide starting at zero?! ;)
Part of me wonders if going based off of NO3 and PO4 when your feeding quite heavily (particulate foods) and dosing live phyto is good. I ride the low range often on the tests also but also feed heavily. Cyano is my indicator, because I’m finding test kits don’t give me the answer. But I am having good growth. Makes me wonder.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of me wonders if going based off of NO3 and PO4 when your feeding quite heavily (particulate foods) and dosing live phyto is good. I ride the low range often on the tests also but also feed heavily. Cyano is my indicator, because I’m finding test kits don’t give me the answer. But I am having good growth. Makes me wonder.

Another part of my answer, I have watched my cyano let go over the past few weeks, one of the main reasons for the test, I need to find the balance of nutrient import verses what it can deal with, powder food just added, I guess we will see how it develops! :)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, things to do, remove caulerpa and adjust the scape to give me more placement options, there are a few things that need more light.
I can't move the large rock back right because of the nem and I want to isolate the xenia back left.
Refill the oxydator.
Feed more.

The phyto has bottomed the nutrients out and even though the caulerpa has slowed down in growth it is still removing some nutrients.
I am holding off on the sand filter for a bit, I can't be bothered to turn it on and off each time I feed so I am having a rethink about that.
I need to get the salinity balanced with the big tank because I am going to water swap from the big tank, I need to test for nitrates and phos later, clean water out and grubby water in, I will add a small amount of carbon when I do this.

DSC_0103 (1024x691).jpg

This is the one that was in very poor shape, left in the above pic, it has started to come back to me in the past few days, no pressure Simon, it belongs to an actual Viscount! ;)

DSC_0103 (1) (1024x684).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back