OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning one with me, I will be watching them closely, they have been in the lfs for 6 days, still another week to 10 days to see how they traveled. ;)

DSC_0111 (1024x770).jpg

DSC_0114 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0115 (1024x683).jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning one with me, I will be watching them closely, they have been in the lfs for 6 days, still another week to 10 days to see how they traveled. ;)

DSC_0111 (1024x770).jpg

DSC_0114 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0115 (1024x683).jpg
Those look beautiful and healthy

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look beautiful and healthy

Thanks, the old Indo. cultured pieces used to be bullet proof, well based out and plump like this, the first few weeks are a waiting game, any inner health issues show at the 2 - 3 weeks mark, fingers crossed.
I need to have a look at this tip of the blue piece, it looks like sting damage but you can see where the other branch is working around the pink branch, I will frag it if I have to.
This is from the desk end, I'll rotate it later as it is closer to the front and get a closer look.

DSC_0113 (1) (1024x738).jpg

DSC_0114 (1) (1024x692).jpg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that flakes and pellets are nutrient dense. I try to do mysis as much as possible. Not saying mysis are better but I worry that pellets add too many nutrients to my already high nutrient system. After cutting pellets, my NO3 dropped big time.
I turn my flow off to feed, so the extra just gets sucked into the overflow, and I clean my filter sponge fairly often. My NO3 stays undetectable with API (less than 5)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my flow off to feed, so the extra just gets sucked into the overflow, and I clean my filter sponge fairly often. My NO3 stays undetectable with API (less than 5)

I run my tanks my way and never encourage people to run entirely my way, nitrates at 5 would freak me!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tanks my way and never encourage people to run entirely my way, nitrates at 5 would freak me!
I just had my first tank birthday on Valentine’s Day, and not once since it’s been cycled have I had detectable nitrates. I feed my fish twice a day and my corals 2-3x a day and sometimes pellets for the scoly at night too...

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my first tank birthday on Valentine’s Day, and not once since it’s been cycled have I had detectable nitrates. I feed my fish twice a day and my corals 2-3x a day and sometimes pellets for the scoly at night too...

Put your spectacles on, you sure you're testing with the nitrates with a nitrate kit, are you colour blind?! ;)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe it either. I take water to the LFS to have them double check it every month or so just to be sure...

I am testing the puddle, nearly 1/10 scale to get a balance of what corals can use v what I can feed, I am measuring the liquid feed (not the phyto) that I am adding, no mechanical filtration, it will be hard to get the twins back to this, I adjusted the skimmer a bit wetter today, I will do some water changes, I sort of got me in this mess so I will get me out of it, no fast reactions in the twins, I nearly had it it balanced until the cave gobie incident! ;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing the puddle, nearly 1/10 scale to get a balance of what corals can use v what I can feed, I am measuring the liquid feed (not the phyto) that I am adding, no mechanical filtration, it will be hard to get the twins back to this, I adjusted the skimmer a bit wetter today, I will do some water changes, I sort of got me in this mess so I will get me out of it, no fast reactions in the twins, I nearly had it it balanced until the cave gobie incident! ;)

Ok, I'll preface the next comment with the idea that I'm not the sharpest crayon in the tool shed.
You say that you have no mechanical filtration and immeditely follow that by saying you adjusted the skimmer. I'm so confused. Am I missing something?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump food in my tank. High NO3. Always have. People here on R2R used to freak out if you had anything >5, especially with SPS. So I was always worried. My salifert kit turn deep ruby red every time. But then I realized that everything is happy. Whether high or low is ok I believe. @najer ~ where is your NO3 at? I may have missed it. I know you said its high.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll preface the next comment with the idea that I'm not the sharpest crayon in the tool shed.
You say that you have no mechanical filtration and immeditely follow that by saying you adjusted the skimmer. I'm so confused. Am I missing something?

I should have made that clearer, I was referring to the little tank to start with that has no mechanical filtration, I adjusted the skimmer on the twins to try and clean things up a bit, I have been skimming too dry.

I dump food in my tank. High NO3. Always have. People here on R2R used to freak out if you had anything >5, especially with SPS. So I was always worried. My salifert kit turn deep ruby red every time. But then I realized that everything is happy. Whether high or low is ok I believe. @najer ~ where is your NO3 at? I may have missed it. I know you said its high.

I will test later nitrates were 100 on Sunday. ;)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have made that clearer, I was referring to the little tank to start with that has no mechanical filtration, I adjusted the skimmer on the twins to try and clean things up a bit, I have been skimming too dry.

I will test later nitrates were 100 on Sunday. ;)
I still find that amazing. What test kit are you using? I like to look in my tank at night, I see all kinds of stuff floating in the water and my NPS snagging them. No idea. I recall you have NPS? If so, I’d imagine they’re really happy.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still find that amazing. What test kit are you using? I like to look in my tank at night, I see all kinds of stuff floating in the water and my NPS snagging them. No idea. I recall you have NPS? If so, I’d imagine they’re really happy.
Like a fat girl at the buffet! (Speaking from experience)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, most of the nps are currently in the small tank except the orange monster! ;)

DSC_0113 (1024x626).jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, most of the nps are currently in the small tank except the orange monster! ;)

DSC_0113 (1024x626).jpg
That thing is jam-packed full of great stuff. I’m a huge fan of NPS and want to keep more. I keep telling myself if all my SPS die, I’m pulling the trigger. I love that longnose too. Great selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back