Name that Euphyllia...

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold as a hammer. I'm thinking no. It doesn't extend further than an inch at most. I was thinking cristata but it's a very unique color for that species... orange/gold with green tips.

20181214155343.jpg

20181214_161219.jpg

20181214155343.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia (now Fimbriaphyllia) paraancora

Why do you think so?

I'd say about 50% of the ends are circular like torches and the other 50% are oblong. but there's not like Ah hah! that's a hammer... at least to me.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think so?

I'd say about 50% of the ends are circular like torches and the other 50% are oblong. but there's not like Ah hah! that's a hammer... at least to me.

Precisely! So F. paraancora is sometimes referred to as a "false hammer" since it does not have true hammer heads on the tentacles of their polyps. The morphology of this species is rather variable with some tentacles looking rounded, some being blunted, and some curving backwards (almost like a true hammer F. ancora). However as it's name suggests it's just not quite the same (if ancora = hammer, then paraancora is well, a hammer sort of).

I made this ID based off the shape of the tentacles first and since for all practical purposes there are only 2 species of hammer that enter our hobby, I narrowed it down to this. But I could be wrong. The best way to ID any coral is to examine their skeleton (so if you could snap a pic later with lights off, that might help) especially since different environmental factors can affect the appearance of really any coral

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other options (IMO) would be as follows
Euphyllia fimbriata (elongated but blunted tentacle tips; not a valid species name)
Euphyllia ancora (but with weird looking polyps)
Euphyllia cristata (thick tentacles with blunt tips; highly unlikely since septa are indistinct)

OP
OP
S

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precisely! So F. paraancora is sometimes referred to as a "false hammer" since it does not have true hammer heads on the tentacles of their polyps. The morphology of this species is rather variable with some tentacles looking rounded, some being blunted, and some curving backwards (almost like a true hammer F. ancora). However as it's name suggests it's just not quite the same (if ancora = hammer, then paraancora is well, a hammer sort of).

I made this ID based off the shape of the tentacles first and since for all practical purposes there are only 2 species of hammer that enter our hobby, I narrowed it down to this. But I could be wrong. The best way to ID any coral is to examine their skeleton (so if you could snap a pic later with lights off, that might help) especially since different environmental factors can affect the appearance of really any coral

Here's the best I could do for the skeleton...

20181219_221257.jpg

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm maybe it is E. cristata since I can see some nice septal teeth. Is the skeleton branching or more star-shaped? (can't really tell from the pic)

OP
OP
S

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm maybe it is E. cristata since I can see some nice septal teeth. Is the skeleton branching or more star-shaped? (can't really tell from the pic)
It's kinda like a figure eight, like almost two oval heads, but they're still connected in the middle.

OP
OP
S

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a wall hammer crossed with an aussie torch..... not sure. def not a grape coral or any other branching LPS

Well. I'm not sure if it's branching. It was originally a bigger piece. The seller cut it in half. Here's the whole colony before being fragged.

I also placed it next to an actual hammer coral and they're both getting along well when they touch, if that's any help...

47580139_2770594382954415_967037643613274112_o.jpg

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm yea ok maybe I got a little too excited about the septal teeth

I think I'll agree with E. glabrescens but perhaps crossed with something, not sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back