Name the anemone

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see how good you are.
I just picked up 6 of these. Can you ID them?

IMG_20190618_165049550.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the name of this species, but they are temperate water anemones off of the coast of the US. Plenty of them in Corpus Christi Bay. They don't do too well in our reef. I was never able to keep them for more than a year or two. They just slowly shrink . Be sure you feed them well. I think prolong high temperature may have something to do with them not doing well. I keep my reef at about 82. They live in water dull of sediments so light may not be too important for them.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the name of this species, but they are temperate water anemones off of the coast of the US. Plenty of them in Corpus Christi Bay. They don't do too well in our reef. I was never able to keep them for more than a year or two. They just slowly shrink . Be sure you feed them well. I think prolong high temperature may have something to do with them not doing well. I keep my reef at about 82. They live in water dull of sediments so light may not be too important for them.
You got it. I picked them up in the gulf outside of Galveston. They are tricolor warty anemones.
I had some many years ago as a "test" for my Texas only fish tank. They did great for over two years.
I have them.for now in a shaded area of the tank, they love to hide in the rocks and just grab what they can. I fed them Mysis shrimp every three days, and probably will stay with that feeding schedule since it worked.
My tank also stays at a constant 82°f, I did test the water I got them from when I was there.. it seems it is more brackish then I realized. That could be the reason they are hards to keep. The SG was 1.016 but that could have been from all the rain that morning, and since fresh water sits on saltwater, it might have been giving me false readings.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back