Name your 3 fish!

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Name your 3 fish

1: Paid the most for ( actually spent money on)
2: Is actually worth the most (could sell for now)
3: That priceless fish ( just cant live without)

I will go first.

1: Achilles Tang, Was my most favorite fish and I had to have one no matter the price.
2: Chevron Tang, bought it before the ban and have been offered a nice chunk of change for it, which i declined.
3: Copperband Butterfly, Eats the aptaisa and leaves the coral alone. Bought him before I went on deployment and he cleared out the little pests before I got back, which meant an easier time for my wife to take care of the tank.

Lets hear yours!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yellow tang, that Biota markup! Gone are the days of $50 yellow tangs. I saw one for sale for $500 at LFS that they received as a tank breakdown trade in. Wild.
2. Yellow tang - see #1 :grinning-squinting-face:
3. Black saltwater Molly!!! I bought her as a parasite checker, she passed the test for my tank with flying colors. Besides happily nibbling on algae regularly, she also is an unfazable open water swimmer, who has encouraged all of my tank’s inhabitants to be out and about far more often than they hide. Best $10 I ever spent!

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_2403.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-Redtail triggerfish. This is my second one, lost the first to flukes many years back. Spent almost $100 more the second time around...
2- same as above. These triggers are only going up in price because they are only collected from the Atlantic, usually from deeper water. Prices on the east coast range 160-260, but on the west coast I've seen much higher.
3- same as above haha. I just love this fish. He has so much personality and emotion, and his color changes are fun to observe. Whenever I get a larger system, I hope to get him a mate.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tank with the common color fish. Very little invested but I get great pleasure from what I have. One of the rare photos that I’ve got all 6 in one photo.
E38AC226-5B5E-4BEA-AA53-E6636BEF2EDD.jpeg
Brother you better stop showing off that beautiful pic, I get more jealous every time I see it :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brother you better stop showing off that beautiful pic, I get more jealous every time I see it :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I appreciate the compliment! But I swear I have dozens if not more and for the life of me that is the only one that has every one of my fish in it. It might be years before I get another!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tank with the common color fish. Very little invested but I get great pleasure from what I have. One of the rare photos that I’ve got all 6 in one photo.
E38AC226-5B5E-4BEA-AA53-E6636BEF2EDD.jpeg
That’s TOTM worthy! What a beautiful tank!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Purple Tang (red sea), one of my very first fish when I set the 120 up. Thought for sure he was a gonner when I came home and found him stuck to a powerhead intake. Managed to survive and is king of my tank!
2. Yet again the Purple Tang, paid around $180-200 and lfs now sells them in the $250 range.
3. Has to be a 6 Line Wrasse. Such a great fish for pest control. Have one on the 120 and in the 40 frag. Hard to imagine a tank without one. I’ve been lucky as far as aggression goes, not one issue with either of them.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Purple Tang (red sea), one of my very first fish when I set the 120 up. Thought for sure he was a gonner when I came home and found him stuck to a powerhead intake. Managed to survive and is king of my tank!
2. Yet again the Purple Tang, paid around $180-200 and lfs now sells them in the $250 range.
3. Has to be a 6 Line Wrasse. Such a great fish for pest control. Have one on the 120 and in the 40 frag. Hard to imagine a tank without one. I’ve been lucky as far as aggression goes, not one issue with either of them.
Good to hear about your 6 line, I’ve had one most of my over 18 years of reefing and couldn’t believe the hate for them when I got on this forum.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name your 3 fish

1: Paid the most for ( actually spent money on)
2: Is actually worth the most (could sell for now)
3: That priceless fish ( just cant live without)

I will go first.

1: Achilles Tang, Was my most favorite fish and I had to have one no matter the price.
2: Chevron Tang, bought it before the ban and have been offered a nice chunk of change for it, which i declined.
3: Copperband Butterfly, Eats the aptaisa and leaves the coral alone. Bought him before I went on deployment and he cleared out the little pests before I got back, which meant an easier time for my wife to take care of the tank.

Lets hear yours!
1. I paid $109 for a hippo tang
2. probably my 5 year old cbb
3. my cbb

side note- I had a 4 year old + yellow tang I paid I think about $60 for several years ago and it became a bully so i rehomed it for $35 right before the ban.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear about your 6 line, I’ve had one most of my over 18 years of reefing and couldn’t believe the hate for them when I got on this forum.
Imo they are still one of the prettiest wrasse species. Bright reds, blue/purple, greens, and a splash of orange!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo they are still one of the prettiest wrasse species. Bright reds, blue/purple, greens, and a splash of orange!
You just nailed it. I was just telling my son that although it doesn’t pop from across the room it is the most colorful fish in my tank. None of my fish even come close to having so many colors!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Purple tang, I tend to buy cheaper fish and a purple tang is one of the fish that I’ve loved for a very long time. So I finally splurged and bought one for $160 several years ago.
2. Also, my purple tang, because I don’t really have anything rare.
3. This one is hard for me because I have 3 utility fish that I like and couldn’t imagine my tank without. They’re my CBB, Melanurus wrasse, and foxface. I guess if forced to pick I love my CBB the most. I spent a year weening it off of live food and onto frozen, and now he meets me at the top of the water with his mouth out of the water waiting on food.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#1 is a tie between my pygmy wasp, red soap, and mimic file. . . not terribly expensive but I'm cheap!!! My most expensive fish purchase was a mated pair of discus. . . that never bred for me. . . but sold individually they would be cheaper than the 3 mentioned above.
#2 probably my pygmy wasp they are neat little fish I don't see locally very often.
#2 probably my Red Soap cause he is just neat.

Last edited:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You just nailed it. I was just telling my son that although it doesn’t pop from across the room it is the most colorful fish in my tank. None of my fish even come close to having so many colors!
6 line one of my favorites for sure!!! Definitely under appreciated around here!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line one of my favorites for sure!!! Definitely under appreciated around here!
I love to feel the love. Thank you. It’s almost like someone had one that went rogue and it just got repeated.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: A pair of blueline angels. Walked into my LFS one day and somebody had just simply given these guys to the owner. He didn’t even want credit or $$ for them. I happily gave the owner 600 for the pair.
2: The pair of blueline angels most definitely lol.
3: My Red Sea Sailfin “Chuck”. I had velvet when I came back to the hobby and lost everything. I contemplated leaving the hobby again during the fallow period. I saw him at the LFS. He was just a baby like 3”. I told myself if I lose this guy I’m done with the hobby. Well 5 years later he’s a fat healthy 8” eating machine. He just got moved to his new 360 gallon tank and I wouldn’t have got this far without him. So yeah a lot of sentimental value with him lol. IMG_1678.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back