OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the fluval nano light today. Was thinking that for Acans, zoas, torch, mushrooms, and maybe a bubble tip. It has a 9000k heat

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a good light or do I need something stronger? Was either gonna do that or a par38 bulb bust just don't like how the bulb focus alot in one area

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was talking about this one.

Screenshot_20160708-183505.png

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice nano! I started out with an 8 gal. I had the Hydor 240 power head and they have wave maker attachment that's really nice to. Amazon prime is great for stuff like that. I also used a wave point nano light and then when to the Sanrise both on Amazon for under 100.00 and they were fine for soft corals. Looking forward to seeing more of your tank.:)

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice nano! I started out with an 8 gal. I had the Hydor 240 power head and they have wave maker attachment that's really nice to. Amazon prime is great for stuff like that. I also used a wave point nano light and then when to the Sanrise both on Amazon for under 100.00 and they were fine for soft corals. Looking forward to seeing more of your tank.:)

Thanks for the advice and the follow. I'm hoping it starts it's cycle soon so I can get it going.

Hunter S Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a cool nano tank.
To those posted wondering what tank this is... It appears to me to be the Petco Arc 6.25 gallon. It also goes by another name (imaginasomething?). Both are identical. I researched them a couple of years ago. From what I remember about them...
Beware of deadspots to the lower left and right of the filter (no water movement in these areas).
I understand the filter needs to be modified to make the water properly skim. I think there is a hole that needs to be plugged and the vertical slots need the be sawed up to the top.
Obviously you would want to take out the filter cartridge once you do this and create a media tray, unless water changes are your bag.

Here is what the filter area looks like from the back. Peter let us know if I'm wrong.

IMG_0005_zpsgix1ubi0.jpg

Hunter S Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Peter's question about Amonia/cycling, you need bacteria. Ammonia that high will kill anything. There is no sense leaving that dead shrimp in the water. You said you used non-live rock and non-live sand. The bacteria that facilitates the nitrogen cycle has to come from somewhere. You are not going to create new life in this tank (unless a lot of things go right and you wait a few billion years). You need to buy a bacteria starter or a piece of live rock (or get some gravel/shells from your LFS or friends).

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a piece or raw shrimp to start the cycle. My ammonia is through the the roof and the shrimp has since been removed. I have cope pods swimming around but haventhe seen a drop in ammonia yet. Gonna test again today and see. If it doesn't drop I'm gonna get some bacteria in a bottle

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I actually got ammonia from the raw shrimp when I added it for 36 hrs. So I but a new piece in and plan on leaving it in till it's completely gone.

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I havent seen a bacteria bloom or nothing and the tank has no ammonia, no nitrate, and very little nitrite about 20ppm. Yet no bacteria bloom I'm quite confused. I don't see any tiny sea stars or anything swimming around that I know of. I might shut the pump off for a few hours and come back and check it out. But he is an updated pic since I decided I don't like my aqua scape from earlier.
20161016_100414.jpg

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Peter just curious where you're located in Connecticut If you're interested I have some Kenya tree Coral you can throw in there

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back