Nano Clam

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer is no but my water parameters are perfect but i only have a 25 gallon... Would it just be a bad idea to add a Clam to it? I know it would have to be at least 3-4 inches.. I have always wanted a Clam just never got one in the bigger tank..

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a clam in a nano. Crocea don't get very big but they need a lot of light. Maximas will eventually out grow the tank but will take a bit of time. A derasa or squamosa will be fine but you need an alternative plan to eventually rehome the clam. Keep the parameters stable and you should be good. Pacific east aquaculture has some nice maximas right now at a perfect size.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually seen a good sized clam in a small AIO tank. I think the questions to answer are:
1) what type of lighting do you have. Clams need some fairly strong lighting.
2) how stable is your tank along with critical parameters like Alk and CA...etc. Are you dosing? how are you dosing? can you maintain stability and minimize swings....? How are you doing ATO?
3) how about nutrient export... particularly if you are spot feeding the clam....

The clam I saw was in a pretty cool tank at a LFS... I know the clam was in it for the last 8 or so months.... It only had 2 fish....clowns... that I recall.... and some assorted corals... softies and some easy sps. I think it was an Innovative Marine tank... but dont quote me on it. They had a pretty large HOB skimmer running. I want to say the lighting was an XR15 Radion.

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @DSC reef !

@dansreef I run AI Primes
Tank is very stable, I use a doser. I have not really had any swings parms are all very stable. I always spot feed all corals. The only fish i have in there is a Tomini Tang ' which is coming out soon' it was only in there to help with a small amount of extra algae i wanted out. I have a lot of custom filtration in the back of the tank.

Again! Want to thank everyone for always being so prompt on incredibly helpful responses!

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a clam in a nano. Crocea don't get very big but they need a lot of light. Maximas will eventually out grow the tank but will take a bit of time. A derasa or squamosa will be fine but you need an alternative plan to eventually rehome the clam. Keep the parameters stable and you should be good. Pacific east aquaculture has some nice maximas right now at a perfect size.

Looking more into it I think the Crocea Clam would fit in very well for the spot I would have him. Now i Just have to fidn a Mandarin Crocea haha
tridacna-crocea-clam-mandarin-2-770x578.jpg

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a dozen of clams in my 25g tank, including two big ones.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a derasa in a 14 gallon for about 3 years before it started getting to big for the tank.. my clown slept in it so he is still mad at me for removing it ;)

1E75ECB6-E743-4025-AA8A-417B432C21A4.png

Back