OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank. My firefish did jump shortly after I added my dottyback and was terrified of my dottyback. All my dottyback did was swim around.

image.jpg

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my dottyback like two days ago and my other two fish that jumped weren’t with any other fish that would harass them.

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something has to be going on, maybe something is spooking’em, mantis maybe? Strange because I have a few known jumpers in my 525 red sea (uncovered) and none (knock on wood) have jumped
I have dead rock so I don’t think a mantis shrimp ended up in the tank.

Nano Reef Q

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk Bass(let).
KP Aquatics has them. Kinda coppery/blues. Prettier than I expected and with Cardinals very laidback, not darty.

Nano Reef Q

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your bristle worm population? I caught my worms (fairly large) bothering my fish at night & lost a few that jumped. Tank is my bedroom so I heard splashing, got up & saw the problem. As fish were dozing near bottom, worms trying to get them. I dipped my rocks got rid of most of them (the big ones) and remaining fish happy & no nightly splashing.

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple fish in my 40 that don't jump. I'm leaning more towards something with your setup. I run open top and always have. Stocking includes clowns, firefish, Cardinals, goby, blenny, sixline and a tomini.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orchid dotty back can and will be very aggressive towards other fish and will most likely be the cause of any further fish deciding to carpet surf. A forum search regarding those fish will further confirm my statement. Firefish jump, there’s nothing you can do about that, but having a very tightly secured lid with no openings is going to be your best bet. As someone mentioned above get the screening kit from Home Depot to cover the gap you mention. A starry blenny may be a good choice, also a Royal Gramma as well as possibly a diamond Goby but I would remove the dottyback before adding any other livestock.
I we would say "no" to the diamond goby....says the lady who just fished hers out of the overflow an hour ago. It would have been on the floor if not for my screen tops.

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I we would say "no" to the diamond goby....says the lady who just fished hers out of the overflow an hour ago. It would have been on the floor if not for my screen tops.
I had a tiger Wacthman Goby (same as diamond one) and jumped

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple fish in my 40 that don't jump. I'm leaning more towards something with your setup. I run open top and always have. Stocking includes clowns, firefish, Cardinals, goby, blenny, sixline and a tomini.
What do you mean your leaning more towards something with my setup?

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
damsels tend not to jump if you want to keep the dottyback. Sapphire or yellow tail stay small and are not as aggressive as some others.

pygmy filefish is a cool one that dose not tend to jump

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dwarf angel usually is not too jumpish. It's semi-aggressive nature may make it a better fit with a Dotty. Not reef safe, but very nice colors, and most seem to return the affection of their people

Terry aka Cr@sh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll repeat myself, with my 40 plus years experience reefing, I know a Dottyback in a small tank like a 30 gallon will be trouble for every fish living with him, I had ones that would draw blood when cleaning the glass. they thrive in much larger tanks. How many can chime in and confirm what I'm saying so you understand? I'm still puzzled at how we keep tangs when you see how much terrain they cover in the wild. I'm shocked they can live in a 50 or 100 gallon tank. Trust me, the Dottyback is whats making your fish jump. I will make a bet your last two fish will wind up on the floor if you leave the dottyback to run things. Would you post it if it comes true?????........Good Luck reefing!

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll repeat myself, with my 40 plus years experience reefing, I know a Dottyback in a small tank like a 30 gallon will be trouble for every fish living with him, I had ones that would draw blood when cleaning the glass. they thrive in much larger tanks. How many can chime in and confirm what I'm saying so you understand? I'm still puzzled at how we keep tangs when you see how much terrain they cover in the wild. I'm shocked they can live in a 50 or 100 gallon tank. Trust me, the Dottyback is whats making your fish jump. I will make a bet your last two fish will wind up on the floor if you leave the dottyback to run things. Would you post it if it comes true?????........Good Luck reefing!
Have to agree with this, sadly! The Basslets are a pretty group, good-natured and perfect for a not so huge community tank. Perhaps consider exchanging Mr. Dotty for a royal gramma or strawberry. Classic non-jumpers, and seem to form tight friendships with other peaceful nano fish

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your bristle worm population? I caught my worms (fairly large) bothering my fish at night & lost a few that jumped. Tank is my bedroom so I heard splashing, got up & saw the problem. As fish were dozing near bottom, worms trying to get them. I dipped my rocks got rid of most of them (the big ones) and remaining fish happy & no nightly splashing.
Tanks fairly new so I think it’s close to a minimum

Last edited:
OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
damsels tend not to jump if you want to keep the dottyback. Sapphire or yellow tail stay small and are not as aggressive as some others.

pygmy filefish is a cool one that dose not tend to jump
Pygmy filefish are a really cool fish. If I got a damsel I don’t think it would work because I don’t have the adaquete hiding spaces for them.

OP
OP
CamGlacier

CamGlacier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my dottyback he has a ton of personality fallows me wherever I am in my room always watching. And the clownfish and the Orchid chase my turkey blaster all around the tank to get food . He gets along fine with my clownfish. If I did get another fish I would probably get one that would not compete with Orchid for space so like a blenny, shrimp goby pair, or a Cardianlfish and inhabit different parts of the tank. If my fish do look stressed I’ll move them to my QT or catch the dottyback. I thought Orchids were semi peaceful or almost totally peaceful?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back