Nano-ish DIY ATS scrubber

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure there's been someone else post something similar here, so I apologize for redundancy.

OK. So I decided to make an upflow ATS. It's tiny compared to what I've seen, but I think it will help. I had some parts laying around so this project cost less than $10. It was fairly simple. Maybe 45 minutes. I haven't painted it yet. It's not in the tank because I don't have a light yet to afix to the outside of the tank. Next weekend. Comments are welcomed!

The supplies:

_DSC1039_1_zps0dee676f.jpg

Prepping the tupperware. Holes on top and holes on the bottom. I used a dremel.

_DSC1042_1_zps1f169005.jpg

I used a straw for grid support. I didn't have anything else reef safe. I also glued suction cups to the corners. My local store didn't have smaller ones so I had to make do.
At this point i cut small slits in the airline tubing. Upon further reflection, a line of small drilled holes would've worked. I threaded the hose through the bottom two holes. I glued a portion down so the grid will stay in field of bubbles.

_DSC1044_1_zpsb3a77a6e.jpg

Testing the setup:
It's not much to look at. But it won't be seen in a sump or in my case the back chamber to a biocube. After it dried, I painted the outside black with acrylic black. I see no reason this won't grow any algae.

_DSC1046_1_zps7bfd0bfe.jpg

fishheadz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos on your creation, great! Reminder to try and focus a light source directly above the device, and scuff the plastic mat for better algae attachment.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos on your creation, great! Reminder to try and focus a light source directly above the device, and scuff the plastic mat for better algae attachment.
I've actually been reading some on this, and you are correct in that I need to rough up the canvas. The lighting, however, doesn't have to be directly above, but facing it. Otherwise this wouldn't work.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Post back in a few days and let me see that algae! I've been busy with snow and kids and haven't time to get a light for the tank. I have to fix my rack too since it's a little wide.

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to paint that black so that light won't escape through clear plastic and algae does not grow in your tank instead of ATS... JMO

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how does this work out?? updates please

Well, it worked out until the acrylic paint started peeling off. That was about a week into it being placed in the tank. Then I upgraded from the cube to my current 40g. In hindsight, krylon fusion would've worked better. I no longer use this since I made the replacement out of plexi. It looked much nicer and produced better results. Thanks for asking!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update @MrJeep123. I am thinking of building one for my tank and was recommended as a better option then using a cheato section in my small sump/fugue.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back