The Tenecor® Pico DIY Drops March 2nd, 2024

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Time for another DIY drop.

This DIY will be an AIO Pico measuring 12x12x7.
The AIO will be coast to coast and 3 inches wide. >> Let's chat about the pump that will work for this.
Removable media caddy a possibility.
Black bottom (because they are really awesome)
Thru hole return with no bulkhead >> Let's chat about the thru hole diameter.

No instructions. We want this to be a R2R group effort. If anyone has questions or suggestions, ask the group.
Solvent weld or silicone assembly, it's up to you. This is a good way for anyone who wants to try their hand at solvent welding.

$39 includes shipping

First iteration render below. No Loc Line. No bulkhead. Updates will follow based on R2R feedback to the design.

All the best.

TENECOR PICO 12X12X7 BLACK.jpg

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found a good pump if you want a smaller return chamber are those bottom feed pumps. IOAOI has one (they did a free one a while ago) or zksj has been a long time producer. A return chamber of only 2.5" would be plenty and leave a good 2nd chamber splace.
I run a zksj on a Mini Waterbox and it moves some water for sure.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really hard time not having tiny bubbles in my weld last time, but it was definitely sealed and strong. I would 100% solvent weld, weldon 4 is what I used. If someone has suggestions on how to correct that, I'm open to em.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really hard time not having tiny bubbles in my weld last time, but it was definitely sealed and strong. I would 100% solvent weld, weldon 4 is what I used. If someone has suggestions on how to correct that, I'm open to em.
Pins and needles.. you gotta soak the joint for like 15-30 seconds and pull the pins and let the material melt together.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pins and needles.. you gotta soak the joint for like 15-30 seconds and pull the pins and let the material melt together.
So ya, I butted mine together and then injected along the seam. You're saying lay 1 panel flat, put a needle probably on each end, put the solvent down and then drop the other panel down?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ya, I butted mine together and then injected along the seam. You're saying lay 1 panel flat, put a needle probably on each end, put the solvent down and then drop the other panel down?
Correct.. lay a panel down flat and clamp a 90° angle to the next one on top. Put a couple small needles or piece of copper wire in the glue joint, wick the solvent in the joint and let it soak for like 20 seconds and pull the needles out “the vertical panel will drop down” and the 2 pieces will melt together for a perfectly clean seam!

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested & following, but will definitely have to research the DIY component.

Any plans for an optional lid?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct.. lay a panel down flat and clamp a 90° angle to the next one on top. Put a couple small needles or piece of copper wire in the glue joint, wick the solvent in the joint and let it soak for like 20 seconds and pull the needles out “the vertical panel will drop down” and the 2 pieces will melt together for a perfectly clean seam!
Do you run any risk of accidentally gluing your 90° to your tank? Or do you only have to worry if your 90° was made of acrylic? Lol

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Render updates. Please see the images below. The removable filter shelf assembly may become a media caddy. All depends on what everyone wants. Need the dimension on that thru hole. Also the height of the inlet slots.

12x12x7 Pico - front.jpg

12x12x7 Pico - back.jpg

12x12x7 Pico - parts.jpg

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Render updates. Please see the images below. The removable filter shelf assembly may become a media caddy. All depends on what everyone wants. Need the dimension on that thru hole. Also the height of the inlet slots.

12x12x7 Pico - front.jpg

12x12x7 Pico - back.jpg

12x12x7 Pico - parts.jpg
Media caddy for sure, but realistically I only use 1 floss so a shelf would be fine. Only 2 chambers? Interesting choice. It's always nice to have a separate return pump chamber but it kinda makes sense on such a small tank.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready to get one of these.
A lid would be nice.
Two vertical panels for both media area and pump.
Pump hole .510"
Inlet slots .100 x 1.375
1707334623236.png
A polycarbonate Lid is something we can discuss. It adds to the cost. That baffle adjacent to the pump chamber really cuts down on the pump chamber size. What pump were you planning to go with?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A polycarbonate Lid is something we can discuss. It adds to the cost. That baffle adjacent to the pump chamber really cuts down on the pump chamber size. What pump were you planning to go with?
Screenshot_20240207_120329_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have this pump on hand and it's probably what I'll use as long as it isn't too tall.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back