Nano Nano: NaNO? NaYes? Why or Why Not?

Nano Reef Aquariums: Select all that apply to you.

• I am currently running a nano and I like it

Votes: 463 55.2%
  • I am currently running a nano and I don't like it

Votes: 40 4.8%
  • I used to run a nano and I liked it

Votes: 129 15.4%
  • I used to run a nano and I didn't like it

Votes: 40 4.8%
  • Nano tanks are easy to keep

Votes: 247 29.4%
  • Nano tanks are hard to keep

Votes: 152 18.1%
  • I want to keep a nano again

Votes: 110 13.1%
  • I will never keep a nano again

Votes: 42 5.0%
  • I am undecided on nano reefs

Votes: 78 9.3%
  • I have never kept a nano

Votes: 153 18.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's get a NANO! It'll be fun they said! Easy water changes! It's CUTE!!! Ummmm No.......Ummm YES?

For all of you that currently have a Nano aquarium or have kept a Nano in the past please answer the following questions:

1. What are the biggest challenges you faced when maintaining a nano aquarium?

2. Would you say a nano reef is harder or easier to maintain than a larger tank of say, 25g or more?

Today's graphic comes to us inspired by Mork of Planet Ork. (extra cred for all you who get it)
nano-nano-animated.gif

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a nano for 2 years. Was going to make it the frag tank when I set up my 120. It is now a planted freshwater.
You need to be on to be on top of your parameters for stability.
20180324_174524.jpg
20171124_135448.jpg
20190723_183824.jpg

My 120 runs its self compared to the nano which was 18" cubed with corner overflow and sump skimmer and filter sock.
Funny though thinking of setting up a countertop aio 10 gallon.
All in all my nano got me back in the hobby after a 20 year gap! Here are a few old pics and just before I took it down.
Ran black box and mh over the course of 2 years. Both worked well.
It went through a move at the 1 year mark.
20190912_201928.jpg

Yea Mork nano nano. I think it was more nanu nanu

Last edited:

Ann Enomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 10gal coral killer several years back. The parameters change too quickly and I just couldn’t keep things stable enough to keep anything long term. I would say smallest tank I would get now is 55gal.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you define as nano? I have a 32g biocube. Some would call that a nano, but I haven't really had stability issues so far (2.5 months in)

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 8 gallon nano is 7 months old and thriving with corals.. no skimmer, no ato, no dosers, no power head. Just a tank, heater, prime HD and a return pump. Unlike my 120 with all the tech and top of the line crap you could buy it's 11 months old and nothing thrives but Dino's.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7g, 10g and 45g- enjoy the nanos it is super easy to maintain. I do t have a lot of corals yet however. I expect when I have more it will be harder to keep up on parameters. My 45g is just starting to get populated so I expect I should be able to see a comparison.

PupChow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a few < 20g tanks and the biggest challenge has always been stability. ATO is almost a must unless really diligent with the top-off. (I’m not!)

I would say between 25g - 65g would be the sweet spot for me... where there is enough water volume to be stable and a large water change could be done easily to correct things on the fly!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 8 gallon nano is 7 months old and thriving with corals.. no skimmer, no ato, no dosers, no power head. Just a tank, heater, prime HD and a return pump. Unlike my 120 with all the tech and top of the line crap you could buy it's 11 months old and nothing thrives but Dino's.
Yea everyone is different.
My 120 is simple. Sump, sock, skimmer, return, ati 6 bulb and powerheads.
Ran the nano the same way.
Dosed 2 part 3 gallon water change every week.
120 is a no waterchange system and even simpler.

Travisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 months old and golden. Change 2 gallon of 13.5 every 3 days. I haven't done any testing because I don't feed much it's still young but I think it's going fine haven't had any major problems yet.

IMG_20190915_180227.jpg

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. :) And it's super easy in my opinion. I have this one now.

Kittenslim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45CB69F7-59BB-429D-8107-073A3AB956DC.jpeg

I love my 4 gallon nano. I’ve had it for about a year and any problem can easily be fixed with a 75% water change. Haven’t had luck with acros, but montis, cyphastrea, and soft corals have all thrived.
Let's get a NANO! It'll be fun they said! Easy water changes! It's CUTE!!! Ummmm No.......Ummm YES?

For all of you that currently have a Nano aquarium or have kept a Nano in the past please answer the following questions:

1. What are the biggest challenges you faced when maintaining a nano aquarium?

2. Would you say a nano reef is harder or easier to maintain than a larger tank of say, 25g or more?

Today's graphic comes to us inspired by Mork of Planet Ork. (extra cred for all you who get it)
nano-nano-animated.gif

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting one up now! 25G Cube Reboot
Like anything in this hobby it has turned into a lot more $$$ than I'd originally envisioned. But with a full sump system I'm hoping to keep it reasonably stable.
Thats like mine was. Get an additional cabinet for electrical and ato and you will have stability.
All my acros went into the 120.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love nano tanks and have been running nanos for 10 years or so!

I think they are fairly simple to keep as long as you don't slack too much with weekly maintenance. As they mature....they are more hands off.

I am setting up my first larger tank of 80g so we will see how that compares.

I think the best advantage of a nano is a person can do a 100 percent water change quickly if needed.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of nano tanks, and if you keep just softies or fish they can be great. However, trying to keep more sensitive corals, and hard corals that require monitoring calcium, Alk, and other chemicals can be a real pain. The values can fluctuate so much from day to day, you can loose things overnight if you are not extremely diligent and careful. That is the real pain for me, just running tests all the time and adjusting things. If I did another nano tank, I would only put things in that didn't care about the details...

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 10g mixed reef that was mostly sps with some zoas and acans. Never had issues with salinity but I had to test alk daily because it would swing in a heartbeat. It’s difficult but rewarding. I upgraded for two reasons; 1.) more room for coral. Mine was packed. 2.) less time testing and adjusting levels to keep everything stable.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back