Nano Refugium? Need to lower nitrates (25pmm)

CapnWreckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, wanted to ask what everyone's thoughts were on nano refugiums, and if it would be any use for nitrate reduction in my scenario.

I have the 20 gallon JBJ nano cube AIO that you can see here https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/20-gallon-nano-rimless-aio-aquarium-jbj.html and it's been doing pretty great as my first tank.

It has 2 clowns and a royal gramma, 5 dwarf blue leg hermits, 5 trochus snails, 3 nassarius snails, and around 10 small frags of softies and zoas which are all doing well and I'm getting good growth, especially on my zoas.

However, I have kind of high nitrates at around 25ppm but my phosphates on the other hand are great, they're somewhere between 0 and 0.03, kind of hard to tell on the Salifert tests. I think I see a faint blue tint but I could just be imagining things.

I've been doing weekly water changes at around 10 -15%, but haven't seen it drop at all over time. It's steady at 25ppm. I understand that 25ppm nitrates isn't the end of the world and stability matters more than anything, but I'd like to lower them over time just so I have some more breathing room and to help reduce algae in the future.

So to the point of the post, I'm considering starting a small refugium in the middle rear chamber of the tank. The chamber is 3.25"L x 5"W x 16"H, which isn't the biggest but it's better than nothing. I'm thinking about getting a cheap submersible light and running it for 12hrs at night to grow some chaeto in the middle chamber. Is it worth trying out or am I just wasting my time on such a small tank?

I'm also interested in a refugium as a safe haven for copepods, not planning on getting a mandarin or anything, I just know that they're a great member of the clean up crew.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a Nuvo 20 back chamber. Nitrate went from 20-25 to 7-9. Need to monitor and trim as I don’t want to bottom out nutrients. I use the the Chaeto max light by IM and only run for 6 hours during light off.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a diy fuge in the back of a jbj aio for at least a decade. Cheeto grows, and nitrates stay <10.

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a diy fuge in the back of a jbj aio for at least a decade. Cheeto grows, and nitrates stay <10.
I have one in a Nuvo 20 back chamber. Nitrate went from 20-25 to 7-9. Need to monitor and trim as I don’t want to bottom out nutrients. I use the the Chaeto max light by IM and only run for 6 hours during light off.
where do you have the heater and other filtration if your middle chamber is used as a fuge?

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuvo 20 has 5 chambers
1) media basket w floss, carbon, and media
2) refugium
3) return, heater, ato sensor, probes
4) skimmer (Nuvo skimmer is not good)
5) uv light (currently bad bulb) w floss on top

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back