Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Aqua Man

View Badges
Reaction score
What I noticed after this abnormally high Mag episode is that I can't find any micro brittle stars and I don't see any of my resident mysids, either. Whether the high Mag did them in, or something else...hard to say.
It was Bob! Looking good, as always!

Fritz
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Something Old, Something New?

I bought a Halloween Hermit on Halloween of 2020. The cone shell that it occupied had what looked like a glued on limpet shell. I check on this hermit every few days and the limpet-like shell''s position has never noticeably changed. Fast forward to today and I saw a couple pitch black tentacles sticking out:

Halloween Hermit with Live Limpet_030721.jpg

Color me surprised! Four months after purchase and I am shocked to see that this limpet is actually alive! It has to feed somehow and since I've never seen it detach or move, the only thing that I can come up with is that maybe it detaches from the cone shell to forage at night, then goes back to it's home location when done.

I managed to get a detailed closeup with 'everything hanging out' :)

HH with Limpet1_030721.jpg

...and a short vid:

Fun little addition to a fun little tank, but still a bit of a puzzler as to exactly what it is and what it eats. While the shell looks like a limpet's, the long forked 'tongue' is not a radula as one would expect for a limpet.

Last edited:

Aqua Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow! Is that a tongue hanging out between its mustache? Maybe it’s some kind of filter feeder?
Thank you for sharing. Always something new to see!

OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wow! Is that a tongue hanging out between its mustache? Maybe it’s some kind of filter feeder?
Thank you for sharing. Always something new to see!

Yup, that's a forked devil tongue! ;Vamp And it can curl the tongue back which exposes a snow white radula for rasping. Nature, an unending conglomeration of oddities...

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Spotlight on the little Bowerbanki twins, which are not so little anymore!

20210409_182719.jpg

I got this pair for a 'a song and a dance' when around the size of a nickel and dime (respectively) since the LFS didn't think they were very nice ones. Personally, I think that the blue-white feeding tentacles, especially, are super :)

20210409_182643.jpg

I was a bit concerned about how compatible Bowerbanki and M. lords would be. So far, no issue at all and they have been touching for a good part of the daylight period now for over a month.

Bonus item:

And I picked up this ridiculously large Utter Chaos zoa morph. This was the smallest polyp of the group (other than the little baby attached to the side), but it's still the size of a quarter tentacle tip to tentacle tip!

1881417924_UtterChaoes_040821.thumb.jpg.d1eca318dd809c2c603c3ce072523097.jpg

And in all my years reefing, I've never seen a Zoa not close up for at least a little while when newly introduced before opening up again. This one just shrunk slightly in the bag and then puffed out immediately when attached to the rock. Just awesome!

I placed this Zoa right in the middle of a large Leptoseris colony that received too much light and lost tissue. Instead of lowering lights too low for some other coral to maybe get the Lep to recover, using the Zoa to spread out with it's wide skirts for shade beneath seems like a good way to go.

Last edited:

Aqua Man

View Badges
Reaction score
I was a bit concerned about how compatible Bowerbanki and M. lords would be. So far, no issue at all and they have been touching for a good part of the daylight period now for over a month.
Interesting. Good to hear that they play nice together!! Nice colors on both!!

OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Interesting. Good to hear that they play nice together!! Nice colors on both!!

Yes, considering some online info has indicated that the Bowerbanki will harm the Lords. One think I've learned about LPS is that they can play nice for a good long while, but then one day 'BAM'! Time will tell how this works out in the long run...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Spotlight on the little Bowerbanki twins, which are not so little anymore!

20210409_182719.jpg

I got this pair for a 'a song and a dance' when around the size of a nickel and dime (respectively) since the LFS didn't think they were very nice ones. Personally, I think that the blue-white feeding tentacles, especially, are super :)

20210409_182643.jpg

Bonus item:

And I picked up this ridiculously large Utter Chaos zoa morph. This was the smallest polyp of the group (other than the little baby attached to the side), but it's still the size of a quarter tentacle tip to tentacle tip!

1881417924_UtterChaoes_040821.thumb.jpg.d1eca318dd809c2c603c3ce072523097.jpg

And in all my years reefing, I've never seen a Zoa not close up for at least a little while when newly introduced before opening up again. This one just shrunk slightly in the bag and then puffed out immediately when attached to the rock. Just awesome!

I placed this Zoa right in the middle of a large Leptoseris colony that received too much light and lost tissue. Instead of lowering lights too low for some other coral to maybe get the Lep to recover, using the Zoa to spread out with it's wide skirts for shade beneath seems like a good way to go.

Looks great!

BRS