Leah's 120g LPS/mixed reef

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing ammonia with? It could be a false positive. You should never see ammonia in an established tank. The bacteria should convert it faster than you can detect it. I just use a ammonia badge in my tank

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few weeks since I updated it but nothing is new, really. I just did a water change and took some pictures today.
FeedingCoralsDSC025392.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC025392.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC025332.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC025282.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC025272.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC025242.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC025232.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC025202.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC025182.jpg FeedingCoralsDSC024892.jpg

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just found your thread, and your tank looks great! Some really good looking acans you've got there, and I love the shelf rock. And I'm really sorry about Sherbert. :(

I wanted to ask about your Modular Marine overflow. I'm going to get a 120g in the same dimensions as yours, and was looking at MM for a bean animal overflow. How do you like it? Is it as quiet and easy to maintain as it appears? Do you feel you picked the right size for your flow needs? Thanks!

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just found your thread, and your tank looks great! Some really good looking acans you've got there, and I love the shelf rock. And I'm really sorry about Sherbert. :(

I wanted to ask about your Modular Marine overflow. I'm going to get a 120g in the same dimensions as yours, and was looking at MM for a bean animal overflow. How do you like it? Is it as quiet and easy to maintain as it appears? Do you feel you picked the right size for your flow needs? Thanks!
HI, thanks for the post.

I like it overall but if I were to do it again I'd get a bigger one to have more room for the bean animal plumbing. I couldn't get it to work out with the plumbing I had on hand so I am just doing a herbie style with an extra emergency drain.
I also have a very small leak from one of the holes (between the tank and exterior box) but that could probably be fixed if I tightened the bulkhead more. I'm just worried and it's such a small leak (seriously like 1 drop a week) thay I'm not gonna risk cracking my tank to fix it. The bulkhead is as tight as I can get it by hand. I don't think it's necessarily a problem with the box it's probably more a result of my drilling measurements or lack of arm strength.
Finally, the lid on the interior box won't sit correctly. It was fine before I installed it, and after it was on the tabk the lid just won't sit properly. I just put it on at a slight angle. I'm not sure what caused this, I can't figure it out.

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, thanks for the post.

I like it overall but if I were to do it again I'd get a bigger one to have more room for the bean animal plumbing. I couldn't get it to work out with the plumbing I had on hand so I am just doing a herbie style with an extra emergency drain.
I also have a very small leak from one of the holes (between the tank and exterior box) but that could probably be fixed if I tightened the bulkhead more. I'm just worried and it's such a small leak (seriously like 1 drop a week) thay I'm not gonna risk cracking my tank to fix it. The bulkhead is as tight as I can get it by hand. I don't think it's necessarily a problem with the box it's probably more a result of my drilling measurements or lack of arm strength.
Finally, the lid on the interior box won't sit correctly. It was fine before I installed it, and after it was on the tabk the lid just won't sit properly. I just put it on at a slight angle. I'm not sure what caused this, I can't figure it out.

I appreciate your input! I'll consider sizing up so I have more room in the exterior box, then. My return pump is adjustable, so I don't think having an overflow rated over-high will be too much of a problem. And I'll bet that uber slow leak will eventually plug itself with salt creep.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not having the best week with the tank...
Earlier in the week one of my jawfish died (the male). Not super surpising since I hadn't seen him in a few days. He would go though phases where he was great and active and showing off, and then not see him for a few days. With the reclusive time increasing lately.
Today I was planning on doing a water change but I accidentally left my RO on while I was at work and flooded my apt. On top of that, my crescent tail fairy wrasse jumped out through the egg crate. I didn't think he would fit. :/ RIP.

So, I'm down to 4 fish - 2 clownfish, 1 earmuff wrasse (who has started to go to sleep much earlier so I only see him in the evenings, not sure why), and 1 jawfish.

I'm pretty bummed. :(

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that :(:(

Eggcrate holes are too large from everything I have read. If their head can fit they will get out. Chin up :)

And I have flooded my basement doing the same thing ;);)

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish :( and flooding is never fun.

You do take some amazing photos though. Keep at it, it will bounce back.

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have my RO hooked up in the kitchen. I accidentally put a few gallons on the floor a couple of times forgetting the RO was on for a couple of hours, never overnight or while at work fortunately, but still a mess to clean up. Since then i moved the RO to the bathroom, and i put my buckets/containers that I'm filling in the bathtub. since i started doing that i think I've accidentally left the RO on overnight or while at work 3 or 4 times. but no cleanup when i found it, just wasted water and wasting filter media, but the peace of mind knowing I'm not gonna flood anything if i forget the RO is on is worth it.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water changed today and rearranged some of the rocks and corals.
I've been having a lot of trouble keeping myself motivated lately and it's really showing. I have a bunch of hair algae (due to lack of water changes and from feeding too many pellets) and some of my corals are dieing. My fascination favia (which was making such a great recovery), pink wwc goni, Vivid's Rainbow Delight acro, one of my maze brains, and one of my acans are all looking bad. The rest are all doing good but growth is very slow or nonexistent.
I rearranged things and moved a few rocks to the sump to open up some space, and I turned a bunch of rocks algae-side down. My chaeto won't grow, I think I don't have enough flow in the fuge, so I'm removing it for now. Im trying to limit feeding and switch back to frozen foods.
Doing the rescape was fun and it changed things up a little so I hope that will help keep me motivated to take care of things a little better.
20180531_203402.jpg 20180531_203402.jpg 20180531_203539.jpg 20180531_203535.jpg 20180531_203529.jpg 20180531_202216.jpg 20180531_202212.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bonus pic of my sump area.
I traded one of my zoas for that little biopellet reactor. There's about 1/4 cup of biopellets in there, that's pretty much all that will fit but it's better than nothing.
20180531_215053.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some pictures today

I love watching the clowns hang out in the leather, I hope they don't bother it too much.
DSC027572 by Leah S, on Flickr
DSC027992 by Leah S, on Flickr
DSC027682 by Leah S, on Flickr

This torch always looks great and it seems happy in its new spot. The other one next to it fell over and needs to be glued.
DSC027582 by Leah S, on Flickr

I got this green blasto when it had 3 heads, it is one of my best growers.

DSC027692 by Leah S, on Flickr

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@leahfiish I LOVE the photos in here! Beautiful tank! Any new FTS pics? Following! :D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back