Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Highway reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
just been trough your tread, waiting on my customs papers.
first of all, congratulations with your beautiful little reef.
i recently started a waterbox 10g myself, and was preparing to go the modern way, with all the tech that would make my life easy, but I’m not really a tech person, so it gave me a fair amount of stress.
after reading your adventure, i have made the desision to keep it simple .
i guess when we see those beautiful tanks, we want that ride away.
thank you sir,for your lessons.
ill probably gone make mistakes, but you gave me something to fall back on
grtz from Belgium
igor

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
just been trough your tread, waiting on my customs papers.
first of all, congratulations with your beautiful little reef.
i recently started a waterbox 10g myself, and was preparing to go the modern way, with all the tech that would make my life easy, but I’m not really a tech person, so it gave me a fair amount of stress.
after reading your adventure, i have made the desision to keep it simple .
i guess when we see those beautiful tanks, we want that ride away.
thank you sir,for your lessons.
ill probably gone make mistakes, but you gave me something to fall back on
grtz from Belgium
igor

Thanks and glad that you enjoyed the R2R thread (BTW, the full tank build thread is on Nano-Reef if you care to plough through 94 pages!).

For these little nano reefs especially, the manual 'hands on' experience is essential IMO as each one is unique. As the aquarium progresses, one needs to get a feel for how the system reacts to certain inputs and disturbances. Automation might be something to consider later on, especially if you are away from the aquarium for longer periods.

Highway reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and glad that you enjoyed the R2R thread (BTW, the full tank build thread is on Nano-Reef if you care to plough through 94 pages!).

For these little nano reefs especially, the manual 'hands on' experience is essential IMO as each one is unique. As the aquarium progresses, one needs to get a feel for how the system reacts to certain inputs and disturbances. Automation might be something to consider later on, especially if you are away from the aquarium for longer periods.
Hi,
that is exactly what I took out of your tread, learn the basics, without releing on ecuipment .
I know a little, i was in the hobby 10years ago, but it was just messing around.
the internet is sometimes a blessing and a curse, you read one thing , the next day you read another thing en so on.

i wish I came across a tread like your tank then, then again, maybe I did, just didn’t get it.
i’m gone have look at your tread on nano reef, should be good reading on long waiting times

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
that is exactly what I took out of your tread, learn the basics, without releing on ecuipment .
I know a little, i was in the hobby 10years ago, but it was just messing around.
the internet is sometimes a blessing and a curse, you read one thing , the next day you read another thing en so on.

i wish I came across a tread like your tank then, then again, maybe I did, just didn’t get it.
i’m gone have look at your tread on nano reef, should be good reading on long waiting times

A well-known author (Tullock) once wrote, "Less technology, more biology". What we do need technology for is lighting, flow and temperature control, but that's really about it. We can choose to add more technology, but it's more of a personal choice to attempt to address real (or perceived) issues, automate monitoring/dosing, auto-topoffs, etc.

If you have any questions that you don't see an answer to in either of my threads, just ask them here...

Highway reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well-known author (Tullock) once wrote, "Less technology, more biology". What we do need technology for is lighting, flow and temperature control, but that's really about it. We can choose to add more technology, but it's more of a personal choice to attempt to address real (or perceived) issues, automate monitoring/dosing, auto-topoffs, etc.

If you have any questions that you don't see an answer to in either of my threads, just ask them here...

I think, I’ve got the biology part covered, less technology shouldn’t be to difficult to achieve, my wallet should be happy .
lighting, flow, temperature control is covered.

the tank is cycled and running, there are animals in from a pico tank I started last Christmas, and a fish as a new addition, I have some extra snails and a pistol shrimp coming today.

I do have questions, but I gone read your tread on nano reef first, and do some research on this an de the nano Reef forum .

i also gone start a build tread myself, should be easier to ask questions in there.

btw found your tread on nano reef

grts
igor

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read your journal on Nanno reef. Lots of great info in there. German Clown police lol!

I’ve been hesitant to add more mushrooms to my tank. Guess the Rics don’t move around like the Discosoma?

Had a Blue Disco detach and roll onto an Acan. Acan was toast after that incident.

Your pictures are really good too! I still haven’t figured out how to get good pics.
Even with T5, my pics look blue.
Are you still using Picassa? I looked but couldn’t find the App for my iPhone.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read your journal on Nanno reef. Lots of great info in there. German Clown police lol!

I’ve been hesitant to add more mushrooms to my tank. Guess the Rics don’t move around like the Discosoma?

Had a Blue Disco detach and roll onto an Acan. Acan was toast after that incident.

Your pictures are really good too! I still haven’t figured out how to get good pics.
Even with T5, my pics look blue.
Are you still using Picassa? I looked but couldn’t find the App for my iPhone.

Congrats on getting through the journal!

Rics are far less likely to detach and float around. If happy, they tend to stay put, but can very slowly creep around the rock they are on.

For the pics, either white balance adjustment and/or experiment with the 'cloudy', 'incandescent', etc. settings on the cell phone. With my DIY lighting's Storm Controller, I can also easily shift the light towards more white. To fine tune, I still use an old version of Picassa, but any decent photo editing program should provide similar tools.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12th Year Anniversary FTS:

12g FTS_080720.jpg

Right side:

12g Left 2_080720.jpg

Left side:

12g Right 1_080720.jpg

For this 12th year update I decided to take pics before my weekly cleanup (tomorrow).

Added a bunch of true soft coral for the first time to this nano (Neon Capnella, Xenia and a hitch-hiker Clavularia (fluorescent, colorful morph). Was on the alert for possible chemical issues (allelopathy), but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary even though I don't run any chemical media.

Other corals added this year were a single Duncan head (now seven), a single Blastomussa merletti polyp (now a colony of 12), a small colony of Blastomussa wellsi (three out of four polyps doing very well, just not multiplying yet), a frag of Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris, and a bunch of Zoas (Rastas, Utter Chaos, unnamed) that I've split up and have in different locations.

This last year had it's share of minor issues, but generally all's well enough (just need to eliminate some Digitate Hydroids)...so 'cool beans' :)

Ralph.

Last edited:

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reading is a pleasure,.. Thanks for posting!!!!

This thread really is an inspiration, it's rare to see a nano that is so long lived. I know you mentioned your maintenance routine earlier in the thread, but has anything changed? What do you do for maintenance and filtration these days?

Thank you,
Whiskey

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reading is a pleasure,.. Thanks for posting!!!!

This thread really is an inspiration, it's rare to see a nano that is so long lived. I know you mentioned your maintenance routine earlier in the thread, but has anything changed? What do you do for maintenance and filtration these days?

Thank you,
Whiskey

Thanks for dropping in...

Not much has changed, really. Still running 'au naturel' (no mech or chem). The only thing I do differently is I don't take any base rock out of the aquarium to occasionally vacuum underneath. Now I just blast underneath vigorously with a turkey baster, swirl the crud for a while and then catch it in a temporary filter sock.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Any issues with the right side? Looks like those Acans are real close to that mushroom!!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12th year anniversary FTS:

12g FTS_080720.jpg

Right side:

12g Left 2_080720.jpg

Left side:

12g Right 1_080720.jpg

For this 12th year update I decided to take pics BEFORE my weekly cleanup (tomorrow).

Added a bunch of true soft coral for the first time to this nano (Neon Capnella, Xenia and a hitch-hiker Clavularia (fluorescent, colorful morph). Was on the alert for possible chemical issues (allelopathy), but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary even though I don't run any chemical media.

Other corals added this year were a single Duncan head (now seven), a single Blastomussa merletti polyp (now a colony of 12), a small colony of Blastomussa wellsi (three out of four polyps doing very well, just not multiplying yet), a frag of Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris, and a bunch of Zoas (Rastas, Utter Chaos, unnamed) that I've split up and have in different locations.

This last year had it's share of minor issues, but generally all's well enough (just need to eliminate some Digitate Hydroids)...so 'cool beans' :)

Thanks for looking!

Ralph.
Looking great! Those ricordea are HUGE! I love your acan garden too! If you post a pic of your mystery zoas, I’m sure I could identify them for you. Great choice on the rastas and utter chaos, two of my all time favorites ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Any issues with the right side? Looks like those Acans are real close to that mushroom!!

Thanks! The Acan colony has grown toward the Rhodactis 'shroom and so a few of the small outer polyps have been affected. As typical with corals, the Acan started to then sprout more polyps on the opposite side.
While they might not have a brain, they do know when growth in a particular direction is dangerous and will, given time, grow out in a different direction.

For the Rhodactis's part, it is getting a bit more light/flow than it probably likes, so it always stays plastered to the rock like that (thank goodness!). If it were billowing around in the flow it would undoubtedly cause a lot more damage.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Those ricordea are HUGE! I love your acan garden too! If you post a pic of your mystery zoas, I’m sure I could identify them for you. Great choice on the rastas and utter chaos, two of my all time favorites ;Nailbiting

Thank you. When I took these photos the Rics were only about 2/3 their full size (the green Yuma is 6" in diameter when fully spread out).

These 'no name' zoas were sold as 'Ultimate Zoas' (or something like that) and they have morphed a bit into a fleshy-tone outer coloration, light green mouth area and haven't kept much of the original striation, possibly due to my use of warmer lighting than typical these days. Nothing really similar on Zoa ID, but here they are:

Unknown Zoas_080820.jpg

In high light they loose the disk pattern completely. About the size of Rastas.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. When I took these photos the Rics were only about 2/3 their full size (the green Yuma is 6" in diameter when fully spread out).

These 'no name' zoas were sold as 'Ultimate Zoas' (or something like that) and they have morphed a bit into a fleshy-tone outer coloration, light green mouth area and haven't kept much of the original striation, possibly due to my use of warmer lighting than typical these days. Nothing really similar on Zoa ID, but here they are:

Unknown Zoas_080820.jpg

In high light they loose the disk pattern completely. About the size of Rastas.
That’s a big Yuma. It doesn’t split all the time?
As for the zoas, I’m thinking they were possibly sold as “ultimate chaos zoas”. I think they’re magician zoas. Here’s a few pictures and a link to a show off thread.

9F78E041-5E03-4A17-ADC8-214FEE4B4FAA.jpeg 723A07FF-2B67-47D1-A494-CCF0F5025339.jpeg

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the zoas, I’m thinking they were possibly sold as “ultimate chaos zoas”. I think they’re magician zoas. Here’s a few pictures and a link to a show off thread.

9F78E041-5E03-4A17-ADC8-214FEE4B4FAA.jpeg 723A07FF-2B67-47D1-A494-CCF0F5025339.jpeg

The Yuma drops maybe 2 babies a year. Most just stay small under the other Rics waiting for their 'day in the sun'.

Good guess, but not Magicians (I've had them before). These are much smaller and were likely taken from a piece of live rock and cultivated under lower intensity, deep blue lighting to look like the great pic online.

Since I run warmer lighting than most do these days, I expect some new corals to look different from pics. Happily, the Rastas and Utter Chaos are holding the typical coloration one would expect from these morphs.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Yuma drops maybe 2 babies a year. Most just stay small under the other Rics waiting for their 'day in the sun'.

Good guess, but not Magicians (I've had them before). These are much smaller and were likely taken from a piece of live rock and cultivated under lower intensity, deep blue lighting to look like the great pic online.

Since I run warmer lighting than most do these days, I expect some new corals to look different from pics. Happily, the Rastas and Utter Chaos are holding the typical coloration one would expect from these morphs.
Could possibly be some kind of fire and ice morph. There’s so many different morphs etc that change under different lighting. Yes, rastas, especially utter chaos do extremely well under mh and similar warm spectrumed light.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note that the aquarium is down to one Eye Brow Barnacle Blenny now. The ORA Yellow Lined Cleaner Goby was watching a reef blog that said 'Go carpet surfing, it'll be fun!', but then it wasn't...

Since I'm having excess nitrate lately, I'm going to leave it at one 2-1/2" fish in ~10g of water, for now.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 57 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back