Nano Tank Flow Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter lewis19
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lewis19

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2024
Messages
51
Reaction score
85
Location
Melbourne
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just looking at options for my flow, am I better to go a single mp10 (can get a second hand one) and keep it low on the side, or have a few Neros on the back? Even a gyre?

Recommendations on where you think it might best work too would be great! Hoping to keep SPS

Cheers!

IMG_4321.jpeg
 
You generally want flow aiming at the overflow for nutrient export, having neros on the back would be blowing the detritus away from the overflow.

Either neros or MP10s, you could get the MP10 as the main pump, which can go on the glass at the front, then add a nero on the side/back as a secondary pump, the back helping hide the nero cable.
 
Problem with peninsula is you can’t put anything really on the back wall because then the dry side magnet is submerged in the filtration chamber

The longer side walls aren’t gr wa t because it obstruct viewing, and the distance is very short before hitting the opposite wall and multiple would be needed to get the width you need

On my peninsula aio I put the powerhead in the marked location

This would work or a mp10
https://a.co/d/80Dkron
72DF7C05-9C39-417E-9522-0E2939EE6F7A.jpeg
 
What size is the tank? Looks pretty small… an MP10 is probably major overkill… putting an outboard in a bathtub

I’d go with the Nero and aim it back towards the overflow
 
Since it is so small, maybe upgrade the return pump and use a RFG from VCA and put a nero midway on the overflow wall. An MP10 is just the wrong pump (visually) for that tank.
+1. You could get significant flow for SPS in a nano from a strong return pump and directional return line (locline) - (vs spending hundreds on an additional powrhead)
 
What size is the tank? Looks pretty small… an MP10 is probably major overkill… putting an outboard in a bathtub

I’d go with the Nero and aim it back towards the overflow
It’s a 25g,

Majority of the SPS tanks I’ve seen in this tank use a single MP10
 
Problem with peninsula is you can’t put anything really on the back wall because then the dry side magnet is submerged in the filtration chamber

The longer side walls aren’t gr wa t because it obstruct viewing, and the distance is very short before hitting the opposite wall and multiple would be needed to get the width you need

On my peninsula aio I put the powerhead in the marked location

This would work or a mp10
https://a.co/d/80Dkron
72DF7C05-9C39-417E-9522-0E2939EE6F7A.jpeg
Cheers for that!

Yeah was more concerned about where would be best placement.

Don’t quote me but I believe the Nero’s magnet can be submerged
 
Since it is so small, maybe upgrade the return pump and use a RFG from VCA and put a nero midway on the overflow wall. An MP10 is just the wrong pump (visually) for that tank.
I thought the mp10 might be the best option visually as you can hide the cable and keep down low, thus not being able to really see
 
My other + is that I’ve got one nearby I can pickup for 1/4 of the price of a new one (MP10)
 
Cheers for that!

Yeah was more concerned about where would be best placement.

Don’t quote me but I believe the Nero’s magnet can be submerged
A few models / brands can be submerged but offhand I don’t know any for sure. They do exist though.
 
Yeah nice!

How does the clone go?
It’s the jebao dmp10

It’s a clone of the mp10

I have both. The dmp10 is very good. I prefer the mp10 controller and software, that’s clearly better. But the jebao controller is usable, and the hardware works well. For a nano tank I didn’t see the justification on buying a mp10 and the clone intrigued me soo…I went jebao.

My main 75g reef has a mp40 and mp10
Ma Waterbox peninsula didn’t need that kind of money invested.

Mp10 or dmp10 in the spot I marked works well for peninsulas
 
Tunze Turbelle nanostream 6040.
I got 2x of those 10years ago... still in use.
Better pulse control for standing wave than all my jeabo model.
(Real on/off pulse)
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new