Nanobox Bicube 14g Retro kit

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone out there using the retro kit for the Biocube 14g from Nanobox? After a lot of consideration, I've decided against cutting a hole in my Biocube's cover to install a Prime HD and I'm wondering about the light spread and growth rate of a single Nanobox module fixture over my tank. I really love how cleanly this kit installs but I'm more concerned about coverage.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nanobox Retro in my BC29 and absolutely love it! However, the BC29 retrofit uses 2 arrays for much better coverage than a single puck would be able to provide. The LED arrays do not use lenses which definitely helps with the coverage providing 120 degree light spread which helps a lot. But also understand, with the single array being so close to the surface of the water when mounted in the hood there may be shadowing issues depending on your rock scape and what you intend to keep. If you're careful with the planning of your aqua scape, you can work around it and you'll be fine. That being said, I think Dave of Nanobox has one of the best arrays out there in terms of color rendition and his service is second to none. Also, the Bluefish mini controller that comes standard with all of his lights is awesome and super intuitive.

What type of corals do you intend to keep in your BC14?

OP
OP
DLJTWO

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply @Water Dog I really appreciate it. Yeah, Dave is top notched, i emailed him about a kit for my tank about 2 months ago and he wrote me back in less than an hour. His site has a wealth of information too. I'm really sold on the kit because I don't have to hack up my canopy to get it in there. Coverage is my only concern and there's literally no one out there with pics of their setup utilizing a single puck. I'm wondering if I may be able to fabricate something in the way of a reflector to bounce the light down to all corners of the tank that may not get any light.

Here's my current rock work... this pic is almost 2 months old... I have some Sunset Monti, Zoa's and a single Hammer Coral head in there now and a ton of coraline. I really want to keep mostly SPS's in this tank... a few Acro frags, Monti's and see what they become. My rock work is pretty much centered in the tank so I think everything on the rocks would be get good light coverage. I'm thinking I should go with it and see what kind of DIY ideas I can come up with to improve the light spread.

Biocube_1.jpg

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a hold of Dave, I am sure he can tell you if it will work with 1 puck. I had a bc29 and used the dual retro. I loved the set up. When I sold the tank, I removed the retro and put it in my fluval 13.5 tank. I only run mine tops at 21%. I made a mistake when I first installed the lights and ran too high which bleached some corals.

OP
OP
DLJTWO

DLJTWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much, I really appreciate it. I've heard that this things give off an unbelievable amount of lighting.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back