Nanos on a budget.

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 gal sps reef is fully stocked and ready to go... hello I've now I've had my tanks for several months and have found the community on here and all of their info super helpful. So I've decided to sign up and hopefully help a few fellow reefers who are probably finding themselves in the same situation I was in when I first decided to give all this a go... I originallyposted this on the discussiosthread but somebodysuggestedI'd post this in the buildsthread, so we go... So we all know how overwhelming the hobby can be, specially for somebody new with no experience. We often Google search what's needed in order to be successful and those searches often suggest expensive gear (lighting, filtration, ato etc), dosing supplements and the chase for weird parameter numbers no one seems to understand. I'm here to tell ya none if that is necessary or matters. I mean it does but what I'm trying to say is that reefing isn't really that hard...
I've had both my tanks for about a year now. One of them is a mixed Reef the other is sps dominant. Both are inexpensive lowtech budget builds... and. BOth are doing great... no sump, no automatic anything, no dosing no worries... my mixed Reef is slightly older and was my trial tank. It's been through several scapes but everything else has remained the same since day 1. A hob filter, heater, surface skimmer for flow and extra filtration but not necessary and a budget light. That's it... and all the corals are doing excellent and are growing. Same setup for the sps tank with additional lighting, but again... bare bones.
I believe the key for both my Nanos was the cycling period I put them through. Made sure it was well established and mature before adding either coral or fish. It was definitely a test of my patience but the end results are always worth it. I did a mo th of blackout cycle while adding beneficial bacteria, then ran it with lights on for another 2 months to ensure that all pod and bacteria colonies were well established and ready for any bio load I was planning on adding.
I now just perform WC and scrape the glass every now and then, but it mostly just takes care of itself now. I don't dose or run any filtration media's other than regular ol filter floss ... simple effective reefing.
Suggestions are welcomed since these are ongoing projects, and I'm in no way saying my way is the right way. I'm just saying this is how it worked for me... just my 2 cents. And should be taken with a grain of salt...
Lmk if you are interested in my tank Specs and I would happily list them out for ya as well as coral list cuc etc.
Oh yeah, my mom also has a 1 gal pico in her room which she maintains herself... if she can do it so can ya!!! Lol
Happy Reefing !

Screenshot_20220226-174401_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220226-174349_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220226-174338_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220226-174323_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220227-184938_Gallery.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!

OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 gal sps reef is fully stocked and ready to go... hello I've now I've had my tanks for several months and have found the community on here and all of their info super helpful. So I've decided to sign up and hopefully help a few fellow reefers who are probably finding themselves in the same situation I was in when I first decided to give all this a go... I originallyposted this on the discussiosthread but somebodysuggestedI'd post this in the buildsthread, so we go... So we all know how overwhelming the hobby can be, specially for somebody new with no experience. We often Google search what's needed in order to be successful and those searches often suggest expensive gear (lighting, filtration, ato etc), dosing supplements and the chase for weird parameter numbers no one seems to understand. I'm here to tell ya none if that is necessary or matters. I mean it does but what I'm trying to say is that reefing isn't really that hard...
I've had both my tanks for about a year now. One of them is a mixed Reef the other is sps dominant. Both are inexpensive lowtech budget builds... and. BOth are doing great... no sump, no automatic anything, no dosing no worries... my mixed Reef is slightly older and was my trial tank. It's been through several scapes but everything else has remained the same since day 1. A hob filter, heater, surface skimmer for flow and extra filtration but not necessary and a budget light. That's it... and all the corals are doing excellent and are growing. Same setup for the sps tank with additional lighting, but again... bare bones.
I believe the key for both my Nanos was the cycling period I put them through. Made sure it was well established and mature before adding either coral or fish. It was definitely a test of my patience but the end results are always worth it. I did a mo th of blackout cycle while adding beneficial bacteria, then ran it with lights on for another 2 months to ensure that all pod and bacteria colonies were well established and ready for any bio load I was planning on adding.
I now just perform WC and scrape the glass every now and then, but it mostly just takes care of itself now. I don't dose or run any filtration media's other than regular ol filter floss ... simple effective reefing.
Suggestions are welcomed since these are ongoing projects, and I'm in no way saying my way is the right way. I'm just saying this is how it worked for me... just my 2 cents. And should be taken with a grain of salt...
Lmk if you are interested in my tank Specs and I would happily list them out for ya as well as coral list cuc etc.
Oh yeah, my mom also has a 1 gal pico in her room which she maintains herself... if she can do it so can ya!!! Lol
Happy Reefing !

Screenshot_20220226-174401_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220226-174349_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220226-174338_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220226-174323_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220227-184938_Gallery.jpg
Update...

Attachments

• 20220415_194958.jpg
    20220415_194958.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220415_194847.jpg
    20220415_194847.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220415_194944.jpg
    20220415_194944.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
MoreReef

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, why do you have LPS and zoanthids as high and even higher than SPS?
That side doesn't get as much par as the acros. They're right under the spread. The rastas and aoi on the frag rack are actually on the shadiest part of the reef... but I think zoa adjust fairly well to different parameters and lighting.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.7%
Back