Naoko wrasse lethargic

  • Thread starter Thread starter BTDBunch
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BTDBunch

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2025
Messages
195
Reaction score
95
Location
Raleigh
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I received a Naoko fairy wrasse a little over a week ago. He was active but become more lethargic, weak and timid as I’ve been observing him.

He’s currently in a 20g IM AIO
pH 7.8
Temp 78.5
34.4 ppt
Amm 0
Nitrate 5.2
Phosphate 0.07
Alk 8.6

Currently just observing him with no treatment or medications. No other fish in tank but there are coral frags and lots of rock.


20260312_144605_D9609436-A0A1-47C0-A61C-9647FFE8D692.png

20260312_144605_6FA1A47E-759D-4988-B599-17428D47C228.png

20260312_144605_632CE198-9D41-4FE3-AFAA-90C6E3E57555.png

View attachment 20260312_144633_1E1F79C3-739C-4D99-ACA2-EA1284F36DC5.mov

View attachment 20260312_144715_C9E5ECB0-2755-4AED-9C79-AB37ACF00513.mov


Any advice on how to help him? He seems to be so weak he’s barely able to swim as seen from the video of him getting pushed by the current.
 
Hi I received a Naoko fairy wrasse a little over a week ago. He was active but become more lethargic, weak and timid as I’ve been observing him.

He’s currently in a 20g IM AIO
pH 7.8
Temp 78.5
34.4 ppt
Amm 0
Nitrate 5.2
Phosphate 0.07
Alk 8.6

Currently just observing him with no treatment or medications. No other fish in tank but there are coral frags and lots of rock.


20260312_144605_D9609436-A0A1-47C0-A61C-9647FFE8D692.png

20260312_144605_6FA1A47E-759D-4988-B599-17428D47C228.png

20260312_144605_632CE198-9D41-4FE3-AFAA-90C6E3E57555.png






Any advice on how to help him? He seems to be so weak he’s barely able to swim as seen from the video of him getting pushed by the current.



Sorry, it looks moribund, close to death. The color looks good and the breathing is just slightly elevated. I don't think this is any sort of a parasitic infection.

Is it still attempting to eat? If not, when did it stop eating?

Are you aware of this issue?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-neurological-wrasse-disease-unwd.901856/
 
Any notice of weird swim pattern, bent spine or inability to swim correctly?
 
Didn’t eat much yesterday. Previously was eating then grew more timid over the week. Yes I had a Naoko wrasse death spiral on me it’s first day in quarantine about 6 months ago.

Just fed now and though he’s upside down on sandbed. He’s trying to wiggle over to the mysis shrimp.
 
Any notice of weird swim pattern, bent spine or inability to swim correctly?
Since I got him he was swimming with his tail fin and back pointed down with a more curved posture but was readily active and had an appetite. Currently not swimming but yesterday and day before would swim slowly up and then sink down to sandbed.
 
Didn’t eat much yesterday. Previously was eating then grew more timid over the week. Yes I had a Naoko wrasse death spiral on me it’s first day in quarantine about 6 months ago.

Just fed now and though he’s upside down on sandbed. He’s trying to wiggle over to the mysis shrimp.
@Jay Hemdal
 
Didn’t eat much yesterday. Previously was eating then grew more timid over the week. Yes I had a Naoko wrasse death spiral on me it’s first day in quarantine about 6 months ago.

Just fed now and though he’s upside down on sandbed. He’s trying to wiggle over to the mysis shrimp.

Ugh - that is a prime symptom of UNWD. It isn’t treatable, sorry!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new