Naso tang coloring.

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a tang I’ve always wanted on Saturday. A 3-4in naso tang. He was at petco in a small tank with a bunch of other fish. And he didn’t have a ton of color. (Also saved a fairy wrasse one a tank with a maroon that was beating it up). He had a bit of yellow on his lower fin and some light yellowing on his forehead. I brought him home and put him in my 55g(over run with algae and culerpa). It’s only him and a dragonett in that tank. I’ve been watching him closely. No signs of parasites or ick. He’s chowing down like I would in a room full of beef jerky. My question is concerning his coloring. He darkened up a bit, which is expected after a move to a new tank. But since I’ve never had a tang, I have no idea how their color changes. This is a dirty tank, around 50ppm nitrates, 3 years old. I’ve kept it dirty since for the pods and dragonett. The tang cruises around all day and snacks constantly. Just curious how long they take to color back up, and at what size they get their really bright coloring.

I should add before the tang police show up. This isn’t his permanent home. I have a 220gallon system getting set up right now, closed loop, lots of flow, rocks been curing for 8 months. This will be his tank. I’m using the 55 as a quarantine since it’s getting torn down when the new tank is up and running. Plus the 55g has some taco Trucks crawling around.

655384DE-C083-4C92-B760-485D82D09810.jpeg
52D05422-EF65-4F28-807A-9C799624AC29.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang is looking good. Colors take time to develop and each will be a little different than the other. The white spotting is unusual to see during lights on as that patterning normally occurs while lights out. Other than that, really, the colors look great for the size. Worry not. keep doing what you are doing.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 3 inch ish one too recently and he also eats like a pig. Mine looks like that right when lights come on in the morning or if he gets spooked. From what I read its just stress spots as they go away within a couple of minutes.

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang is looking good. Colors take time to develop and each will be a little different than the other. The white spotting is unusual to see during lights on as that patterning normally occurs while lights out. Other than that, really, the colors look great for the size. Worry not. keep doing what you are doing.

My only worry is the yellow color on the forehead disappeared, the dots have disappeared, except at lights out like you said. He had lost some color on his fins, but those have returned. And his side color is a darker grey now.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking good. Worry not.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, white blotches are a common stress reaction. Naso L. isn't the most colorful fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ss they develop, so does their coloration. Be sure to maintain good water quality and especially diet.
Feed at minimum:
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Small plankton
Mysis shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
LRS herbivore diet

Be sure to add garlic extract and selcon vitamins to the foods periodically

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back