Nassarius snail...Acting weird

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guy noticed one of my snails acting really strange today not sure what’s going on with it, very strange behavior. Wondering if my cleaner shrimp got to it or what’s going on

image.jpg

Attachments

• 61717806950__3FCA1EA5-CC6D-4563-9B94-35DBA74B0493.MOV
    3 MB

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try flipping right side up? I know normally they can do it on their own but that is a bit odd. I will say that I do have a cleaner shrimp and five of the same snails and I've never had an issue with the shrimp being remotely interested in them other than occasionally jumping on their back and cleaning their shells.

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try flipping right side up? I know normally they can do it on their own but that is a bit odd. I will say that I do have a cleaner shrimp and five of the same snails and I've never had an issue with the shrimp being remotely interested in them other than occasionally jumping on their back and cleaning their shells.
Yes I tried to and he flipped over again, it’s antenna or eye the long piece maybe had got bitten off by the shrimp? image.jpg

Attachments

• 61717931921__6350B873-4128-4B0D-8B45-F26E89318A2F.MOV
    2.6 MB

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it's the really long piece that normally sticks out of the sand like a Periscope I'm pretty sure that's the equivalent to their nose might even be their mouth aswell but I'm not 100% sure. At this rate best I can do is a +1 as I don't have any more info for you my best $0.02 I can give is just keep an eye on it and see what happens. I have a good feeling it's not the shrimp although I do keep everything very fed in the tank so maybe if he was super hungry he might have gone after it but it's just not what I've seen in my experience.

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it's the really long piece that normally sticks out of the sand like a Periscope I'm pretty sure that's the equivalent to their nose might even be their mouth aswell but I'm not 100% sure. At this rate best I can do is a +1 as I don't have any more info for you my best $0.02 I can give is just keep an eye on it and see what happens. I have a good feeling it's not the shrimp although I do keep everything very fed in the tank so maybe if he was super hungry he might have gone after it but it's just not what I've seen in my experience.
yes the long part that comes out of the water, my cleaner shrimp killed my peppermint shrimp the other day. It’s just still on its back acting really weird. Might take him out of his misery if I come home from work tomorrow and it’s still like that

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a quick Google search as this concerns me because I have the same cuc. Looks like cleaner shrimp will only go after something if it's died. What else is in your tank other than cleaner shrimp and nass's?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 out of 4 do that, looks like they spin their body in the shell and can't recover, mine ended up dying...never knew why, my parameters were all good too

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 out of 4 do that, looks like they spin their body in the shell and can't recover, mine ended up dying...never knew why, my parameters were all good too
Huh it was so random to, my other snails are perfectly fine corals are good fish are good just that one snail. I think my cleaner shrimp got its siphon

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a quick Google search as this concerns me because I have the same cuc. Looks like cleaner shrimp will only go after something if it's died. What else is in your tank other than cleaner shrimp and nass's?
I had my cleaner and peppermint for about a week and one day I was watching the tank and noticed the cleaner shrimp going for the peppermint and I though what the heck and than before I could break it up my cleaner throws the last blow and bites it’s eye off and kills it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back