Nassarius snails climbing tank

spankyspam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve put 2 nassarius snails in and 1 keeps going to the top. The other will go up occasionally but not as much. I have a green chromis, 3 hermits, and 3 Astrea.
The astrea seem normal, none of them have gotta too high on the tank.

I’ve heard people say the climbing is normal, but also people say that it is because they are hungry, or need oxygen.
What do you think? Is this normal behavior?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve put 2 nassarius snails in and 1 keeps going to the top. The other will go up occasionally but not as much. I have a green chromis, 3 hermits, and 3 Astrea.

I’ve heard people say the climbing is normal, but also people say that it is because they are hungry, or need oxygen.
Are they eating algae on the glass?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes see mine on the glass, not too often but it happens.

When you feed the tank, food should reach the bottom for the clean up crew, and if you have a skimmer, or at least a powerhead pointed at the water surface, then the water should be oxiginated.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not normal. They are hungry. You only have one fish pooping in the tank, As someone said make sure some pellets or food hits the sand. You will actually see them come out of the sand and get it. They have a killer sense of smell.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have some climbing on the glass. I put a bunch in when I added them, over 100 divided between 3 tanks. Since I have so many I'm not worried about the ones climbing on the glass. I have plenty of fish and feed multiple times a day. It may very well be that the ones climbing are hungry but I'm not willing to feed extra hoping they will stop climbing.
In my experience Nassarius do not eat algae. There are no trails on the glass and I can place nori on the sand next to a cluster of them and they ignore it. They like meaty food and rise out of the sand like the living dead to eat the frozen mix when I feed the fish.

OP
OP
spankyspam

spankyspam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not normal. They are hungry. You only have one fish pooping in the tank, As someone said make sure some pellets or food hits the sand. You will actually see them come out of the sand and get it. They have a killer sense of smell.
Yeah there’s pellets all around that’s why I was confused

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I introduce food to the tank they come flying out of the sand. After all the food is consumed they often climb the glass. I assumed they were looking for more food. I’ve had them for about 20 months so they aren’t starving to death.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 4 in my tank,,, 2 for about 2 years and 2 more at 1+ year with no deaths.
I see one on the glass periodically. (Not sure if it's the same one but MAYBE it's an individual snail behavior?)

I wouldn't worry about it but you can supplement with something meaty on the sandbed near where you see their snorkels sticking out,,, as others have mentioned.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Likely in search of food. They are normally bottom/sand dwellers. Add a couple of algae tabs occasionally for them as supplements

1689517355256.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 100+ in my tank and this behavior is completely normal (whether they're hungry or not). This seems to be the most common with the orange-spotted variety.

While they normally come out at night, on occasion they can be "triggered" by feeding mysis, etc. In these instances, they make a beeline out of the sand and travel in a straight line until they encounter some obstacle.

This has resulted in finding nassarius snails up to 10 feet from my tank, as they went straight up the inside of the glass, over the top, down the glass and stand and navigated their way across the floor.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back