OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is it definitely favors low Nitrate readings and generally if you are carbon dosing it will favor either vinegar or alcohol so if you change up your carbon source it during the process it may just be the 1-2 punch you need.

I think cyano and spirulina occupy such a similar niche that there is almost always both present so when you get one on the run the other quickly takes it's place. We are dealing with some of the original colonizers of earth, these guys are the epitome of resiliant (fortunately for all life on earth)

I think if when some one figures out the exact trigger, that person is going to be happy financially. I agree something is feeding it. I also think that is has been in my system having such a great time, since I feed well that the cyano will not leave easily. Yes I a dosing a synthetic carbon, but not alcohol or vinegar.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my experience with the KZ cyano cure is pretty much the same as yours. No effect what so ever.

You should PM Freddie, he's got a trick or two up his sleeve
@GoVols and I have been having a conversation via PM, and good advice has been given. "dose multiple times" "and go slow"

I was at Reef A Palooza this weekend and the general consensuses was "buy my product and balance out the nutrients in the system because something is feeding it". My plan of attack at this point is nuke the tank until the cyano is gone then. I purchased a real reactor this weekend to run GFO and Carbon to control my nutrients and balance the nutrients. I have also put on line a double active carbon filter and a new RO membrane, the old one was two year old.

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am following the thread closely as I am currently dealing with the same .
What's the impact of treatment on acros ?
In my case , it's definitely overdose of pro bios and np pro .Have stopped both .
My tank is almost 100% acros and I don't feel confident treating it with chemi clean ..

Regards,
Abhishek

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is it definitely favors low Nitrate readings

I found this to be the situation with a cyano outbreak I had.

Tried Vibrent, it only got worse.

And this was the trigger for my outbreak. Vibrant, among other things, will drop Nitrates fairly quickly. I ended up dosing stump remover to get above 5ppm NO3, removed my GFO, and haven't seen cyano since.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case , it's definitely overdose of pro bios and np pro .Have stopped both .
My tank is almost 100% acros and I don't feel confident treating it with chemi clean ..

Regards,
Abhishek
I felt the same why, up until Last December 2016 when the cyano was choking out my corals. I lost $$ by messing around with different fixes. The liquid Chemi-Clean is less aggressive if you are concerned. As has been suggested take the top off the skimmer to aerate the sump and use a air pump and airstone in the DT

What's the impact of treatment on the acros? No impact at all, with my system. The arco look better.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And this was the trigger for my outbreak. Vibrant, among other things, will drop Nitrates fairly quickly. I ended up dosing stump remover to get above 5ppm NO3, removed my GFO, and haven't seen cyano since.

It will be interesting to see a true nutrient reading. I tested the right after a treatment .08 Po4, I was testing .02 before the treatments.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my experience with the KZ cyano cure is pretty much the same as yours. No effect what so ever.

You should PM Freddie, he's got a trick or two up his sleeve
lol
I PM'd @jsker the how to cook live rock while in display treatment. :D
It's up to him if he wants to do that cyano treatment.

AF Pro Bio-S with NP Pro got mine going last year. Even though I stopped it the cyano was still there 6 months later and I finally smoked it and a speck has never returned.

I'd say hold the coarse but stop carbon dosing of any kind.

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey brew ,

So if I uunderstand correctly, you removed gfo and no carbon dosing so that both your nitrates and phosphates rise .
I stopped gfo and all np pro and pro bio s dosing from yesterday , added extra pumps to increase circulation and manually siphoned a lot of cyano .
My nitrates were at 5 ppm but phosphates read 0 . May be mine is the other way round and only nitrates caused the cyano .

Regards,
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

AF Pro Bio-S with NP Pro got mine going last year. Even though I stopped it the cyano was still there 6 months later and I finally smoked it and a speck has never returned.

How did you finally smoked it ?

Regards,
Abhishek

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,
Abhishek
My tank is also SPS dominant. I've not seen negative effects from chemi clean, multiple doses too.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you used the liquid one or the powder form ?Try half dosage ?

Regards,
Abhishek
Give me some time and I'll ping the treatment back to your PM.
lol,
I'm at work...

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brew ,

So if I uunderstand correctly, you removed gfo and no carbon dosing so that both your nitrates and phosphates rise .
I stopped gfo and all np pro and pro bio s dosing from yesterday , added extra pumps to increase circulation and manually siphoned a lot of cyano .
My nitrates were at 5 ppm but phosphates read 0 . May be mine is the other way round and only nitrates caused the cyano .

Regards,
Abhishek

I think bacteria takes advantage of any unbalance between NO3 and PO4. When they are balanced I get algae. When they are out of balance, I get bacteria.

I have never done carbon dosing (well, I use Vodka but it never seems to make it into the tank ;)) but yes, I allowed my phosphates and nitrates to both rise. It actually took an amazing amount of stump remover to finally get detectable nitrates but once I did it was easy (maybe too easy since I can't get them under 30ppm now) to keep them up.

I'm not sure I put much faith in the "increase flow" that everyone seems to recommend. My cyano tended to be worse in higher flow sections of my tank.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

Gatcha :cool:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder, no half strength. Half strength is for sissys. I dose liberally!:D

Well i like the "sissy" one . My concern is with frags and not colonies .. so wonder if frags will take the treatment well .
Did you have the skimmer overflow and air stone just to increase oxygen in tank ?
Impact on newly obtained sps because am receiving some this weekend .

Regards,
Abhishek

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i like the "sissy" one . My concern is with frags and not colonies .. so wonder if frags will take the treatment well .
Did you have the skimmer overflow and air stone just to increase oxygen in tank ?
Impact on newly obtained sps because am receiving some this weekend .

Regards,
Abhishek
Skimmer as usual, no airstone. Frags are safe.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back