Natural reef in canal

Tom in Queensland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,
We are lucky enough to live at the mouth of a canal. It is quite tidal, and rises and falls about 1.5m. We get the odd dolphin and numerous fish that venture up the canal.

We also have a pontoon that floats on the canal, and adjoins our property.

On the rocks, we can see the spherical corals on the canal bed, and shellfish that have established themselves on the side of the pontoon.

I see that most of the threads here involve aquarium based reefs and corals, however Iwas wondering, if there are any threads relating to establishing a small scale sea based outdoor coral reef.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heckofafirst post Tom!
I have a plan that I want to execute in such a location but I know that I will have to do it soon because the laws preventing freedom of expression and interactivity with the environment are getting so far out of hand. BUTT i digress.

I'd do it. Do it but don't tell a soul and for the Lord's blessing keep it a secret and don't post any pictures. At least not for 20 years. I'f I haven't done mine already by then it will be because it was already made illegal or I died from lack of freedom.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Heres a link to celebrate your first post and the fact your first answer came from KrisReef.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,
We are lucky enough to live at the mouth of a canal. It is quite tidal, and rises and falls about 1.5m. We get the odd dolphin and numerous fish that venture up the canal.

We also have a pontoon that floats on the canal, and adjoins our property.

On the rocks, we can see the spherical corals on the canal bed, and shellfish that have established themselves on the side of the pontoon.

I see that most of the threads here involve aquarium based reefs and corals, however Iwas wondering, if there are any threads relating to establishing a small scale sea based outdoor coral reef.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
You can see if there are any legal planting/renewal initiatives you can join - might not be hard. What part of QLD do you live? There's more in FNQ that SEQ, but probably still some around.

That makes growing corals not only legal, but celebrated. And also protected, too. Might be able to even start one yourself.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds absolutely amazing! My only concern would be not being in control, by that I mean the potential for the water to be spoiled by somebody dumping something into the water near you or countless other outside forces. I would 100% do it! I’m going to be thinking about this all day now.

OP
OP
Tom in Queensland

Tom in Queensland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, the pontoon belongs to us. Most other people moor their boats alongside, however we don't have one.
I'd be surprised if there would be restrictions by the local council, however there could be. Based in Raby Bay, Cleveland, Qld, Australia.

I was thinking of building a platform which would be submerged about half a metre below the surface for the coral garden. Would there be any links or tips on others who may have attempted this?

Cheers,
Tom

OP
OP
Tom in Queensland

Tom in Queensland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds absolutely amazing! My only concern would be not being in control, by that I mean the potential for the water to be spoiled by somebody dumping something into the water near you or countless other outside forces. I would 100% do it! I’m going to be thinking about this all day now.
The water is pretty clean, I suppose the marine life and pre-existing naturally occurring brain coral are positive signs of a healthy/viable waterway.
I attached a couple of quick videos. It's dusk here though, so not very clear. There's a multitude of small 2" purple rock crabs that also live around the rocky embankment and the skirts of the pontoon .

Attachments

• VID_20211222_181338.mp4
    4.3 MB
  • VID_20211222_181437.mp4
    3.7 MB

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back