OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, so here's an update!

The tank move went better than expected, everything is now set up and thriving in it's new home. All of my fish and corals did great.

To celebrate, I tried to introduce a new fish. I got a beautiful, healthy Midas blenny from a QT shop and introduced him to the reef. He did well for around a week or so until I found him on the floor. He somehow managed to squeeze through a 1/4" hole in the corner of my tank screen from what I can tell :mad: it may be time to invest in an Artfully Acrylic lid :confused:

After that fiasco, and instead of trying another fish, I decided to get some new corals. One of them was a Bowser Zoa, which I hope to frag one day along with some of my other corals to help fund my upgrade :D I hope to have pictures of the other corals soon, and I'll be sure to share them on here ;)

I'm looking for new shops to visit in the SE Florida area, so if anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, so here's an update!

The tank move went better than expected, everything is now set up and thriving in it's new home. All of my fish and corals did great.

To celebrate, I tried to introduce a new fish. I got a beautiful, healthy Midas blenny from a QT shop and introduced him to the reef. He did well for around a week or so until I found him on the floor. He somehow managed to squeeze through a 1/4" hole in the corner of my tank screen from what I can tell :mad: it may be time to invest in an Artfully Acrylic lid :confused:

After that fiasco, and instead of trying another fish, I decided to get some new corals. One of them was a Bowser Zoa, which I hope to frag one day along with some of my other corals to help fund my upgrade :D I hope to have pictures of the other corals soon, and I'll be sure to share them on here ;)

I'm looking for new shops to visit in the SE Florida area, so if anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way!

I'm torn on making one of my own or investing in artfully acrylic, I'm using the new IceCap 1K Gyre so will need to make a small cutout for the chord and my light mounts. I'm so torn on which direction to go.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome glad everything went well! Sucks about the midas though.

There's a pretty cool shop that's somewhat hidden on a regular tree farm. Its called blue earth corals. West lake worth area.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm torn on making one of my own or investing in artfully acrylic, I'm using the new IceCap 1K Gyre so will need to make a small cutout for the chord and my light mounts. I'm so torn on which direction to go.
That's my problem as well, I may have to get a MP10 to solve the cord issues as well, which is more money on the pile haha

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome glad everything went well! Sucks about the midas though.

There's a pretty cool shop that's somewhat hidden on a regular tree farm. Its called blue earth corals. West lake worth area.
Thanks man! I'll have to check them out!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far are you from the Coral Corral? It’s the most impressive store I’ve been to. It’s in Tampa area I believe but probably worth the drive.
I'm around 3 hours away from Tampa haha, but I'll be going there for a conference in March, so I'll check it out!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard y'all wanted some pictures :rolleyes:

Current full tank shot:
20180830_190516.jpg

My current fish:
20180830_190149.jpg

20180830_190201.jpg

I only have my longnose hawkfish (Snooter) and lemon chromis (gumdrop) right now. I recently lost my Randall's Goby, he decided to squeeze through a hole in my lid where a cord for a power head would have went. I'll be looking for another fish, but it will be something special hopefully!

I will most likely be replacing the lid with a custom job or a made to order acrylic lid.

How about some Coral pics?

20180830_190313.jpg

20180830_190501.jpg

20180830_190410.jpg

20180830_190254.jpg

20180830_190235.jpg

I've been fragging some of my corals too, a few pieces of PC Rainbow:
20180830_190440.jpg

A booger frag of a fixer upper Acro I got from WWC for $5, hopefully it turns into something amazing!
20180830_190222.jpg

And the rest of the frag rack, some are corals I bought and others are frags that I made after I moved
20180830_190134.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any questions! :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question.

With a system that nice, why aren't you posting more pic's? o_O
I'm trying to get myself back in the groove haha

After moving earlier this summer and again last month, I've just been trying to get the tank back in harmony and I've hit a few roadblocks along the way with losing livestock and such. But now the dog days of summer are winding down and my interest and excitement in the hobby is starting to pick up again :)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I recently switched from Fritz RPM salt to Seachem Aquavitro Salinity, I had a few too many batches of Fritz with wonky parameters, so I switched to something with posted parameters on the package.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I have switched salts again... This time I'm trying out Tropic Marin Pro, since it has been known for consistency and I can actually order it as opposed to Aquavitro Salinity, which is only available in retail stores and the closest one to me that has it is 2.5 hours away.

I've had issues with nastiness in my sand bed and some of it was cementing itself together last time I siphoned it, so I've added a few new critters: 1 Sandsifting Starfish, 5 additional nassy snails, a baby engineer goby (will be in a bigger tank by this time next year), and a unidentified watchman style goby (check out the discussion thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mystery-goby-at-least-to-me-and-the-lfs.473785/).

imagejpeg_0.jpg

I've also felt that my magnesium was off from looking at my Acros, so I got a test kit finally (Red Sea), but I got an average of 1375 from two tests so things are okay in that aspect. Something else must be going on since my Acros don't really color up like they should and my maricultured mini-colony isn't looking so good. My PC Rainbow and Milli are both doing well and my olive green Acro is growing like a weed. :confused:

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for everyone:

I added the following corals to my tank yesterday:

Green Slimer Staghorn Acro
Blue-Green Staghorn Acro
Red Planet Acro
Huckleberry Acro

I also got the following corals earlier this week:

WWC Sunfire Grafted Monti Cap
Bloodsuckers Zoas
Forest Fire Montipora Digitata

I have too many frags on my racks right now, once I get everything placed and some things cleared out, I'll post some updated pictures ;)

Feel free to ask me anything about my tank!! :D

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 55 49.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back