OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and Critter update:

I haven't done one of these in a while, so here are the fish I currently have:

Juvenile Longnose Hawkfish (Snooter)
Lemon Chromis (Gumdrop)
Diagonal Goby (Unnamed)
Baby Flame Angelfish (Unnamed)
Juvenile Ruby Finned Wrasse (Unnamed)

Critters I currently have:
Flame Shrimp (Debbie)
Sand Sifting Star
10 or so reef hermits
5 Black Margarita Snails
6ish Cerith Snails
6ish Nasarius Snails
1 or 2 Small Turbo Snails
A few limpets hanging out in the back portion of the tank
1 peppermint pistol shrimp (maybe, haven't heard it in a while and it's super tiny, doesn't host my goby either)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment Update!

My Jebao PP-4 powerhead quit on me so I decided to get something with a bit more warranty, but also future proofed for my future upgrade to a ~75 gallon reef, so I got an Icecap 1K Gyre :D

This thing may be a bit overpowered for my tank though, it made quite the dust storm at 10% power in horizontal configuration straight out of the box :confused:

Right now I have it in vertical configuration with one side of the pump removed and capped. On the remaining side I reversed the paddle wheel/impeller thing so that it blows out the wider opening on the cover instead of blasting water through the narrower opening as usual. This creates a broader flow pattern from what I can tell. So far I can't tell if my corals are happy or upset with it, only time will tell.

I can say that all of the recent SPS I added significantly changed the rate at which alkalinity is used up in the tank, I tested last night and it was 7.4 :eek: I got it back up to 8.6 and decided to let things settle before getting it back to ~9-10 tonight. I'll have to test more regularly to gain an understanding about how much my corals are using now.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the remaining side I reversed the paddle wheel/impeller thing so that it blows out the wider opening on the cover instead of blasting water through the narrower opening as usual. This creates a broader flow pattern from what I can tell.

Brilliant!!!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. I have a couple newer Nano's I'm running too. Came across your thread and got some good info. I'm fairly local to you as well. Good to see a local on here
Thanks for the kind words :) if they ever get a reef club going again in the area, you can count on seeing me there!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it work? Is it louder? Dirtier? I so am going to try this.
So far so good, I don't think it is any louder than the other way, you have to tweak the direction a bit because the flow doesn't really come out the way you would expect it to :)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture time!

20181125_173941.jpg

20181125_174122.jpg

20181125_173850.jpg

20181125_174035.jpg

20181125_173920.jpg

20181125_173834.jpg

20181125_173609.jpg

20181125_173654.jpg

20181125_173538.jpg

20181125_173711.jpg

20181125_173630.jpg

Feel free to ask me any questions :)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting Update:

Bulk Reef Suppy came out with a video where they used their spectral reader to set up the Maxspect Ethereal as close as possible to the Ecotech CoralLab AB+ spectrum. I've heard good things about these settings on other lights, so I decided to give it a go and see how my corals react. For quick reference, here is their recommended settings based on the results from their reader:

20181127_162309.jpg

I set these as my peak values with an 8 hour photoperiod. I'll be sure to give any updates if I change things or something :)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got yourself a really pretty tank Nathaniel! Is that a golden torch you have in there? Would love to see a FTS with daylights on too!
Thank you so much!

It is a gold torch, I got it at MACNA 2017 in New Orleans :)

I would do a full tank shot with "daylight" settings, but the Ethereal is a bit finicky with that sort of thing sometimes :rolleyes:

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my birthday today I decided to "gift" myself with a new Innovative Marine APS stand that was on sale over at LiveAquaria. It is the version without the doors and shelves, but I plan on either DIY'ing doors, sides, and shelves or building a "nerve center" that sits next to the tank and holds all of my control boxes, chemicals, fish food, and ATO reservoir.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my birthday today I decided to "gift" myself with a new Innovative Marine APS stand that was on sale over at LiveAquaria. It is the version without the doors and shelves, but I plan on either DIY'ing doors, sides, and shelves or building a "nerve center" that sits next to the tank and holds all of my control boxes, chemicals, fish food, and ATO reservoir.
Happy Birthday!

That will be a very interesting move, trying to get the tank on it's new stand ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday!

That will be a very interesting move, trying to get the tank on it's new stand ;Nailbiting
Thank you!

My SO and I are moving into a new apartment in two weeks so I halfway expect to set the stand up there and move the tank like I did earlier this year :)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank has been moved once again, this time up three flights of stairs into the condo/apartment my SO and I are renting now.

The only casualty to speak off at this time appears to be my Ruby Finned Fairy Wrasse, but it was gone before I started the move, so I suspect it must have died earlier this week since my hermit crabs had already cleared out any sign of a body.

Anyways, I'm really happy to have it back with me 24/7 again. I'm also working on getting my new APS stand ready for it. Drs. Foster and Smith had a sale shortly before Christmas on the IM Nuvo Fusion 20 APS wood grain stand (frame only) so I went ahead and got one since I was in the market for a new stand. I've since been busy building siding, a door frame, and a door for it as well as measuring out holes for cables and ATO lines. I'm also planning on incorporating a shelf and space for my ATO reservor bucket and also my cleaning kit and such. I'm hoping to have everything built this weekend so I can transfer the tank over onto the new stand. Pics will be inbound shortly thereafter :)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back