Nebbie here researching/planning for a reef tank

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I appreciate that info. Whats a rough number of fish that a 40 gallon breeder can hold if running a sump and refuguim? After reading through some of the "starting a saltwater posting" I have determined I will not be doing coral because I want a dog faced puffer.
Can't really give you a blanket answer for this because it really depends on the size and type of fish. You're probably going to be able to keep 4-6 reasonable size fish in it. 40 Breeders are nice because they have the 18" width which makes aquascaping a lot more forgiving and really allows for a bit more creativity. If you're doing FOWLR you probably aren't going to need a refugium. You can definitely do it if you want but the nutrient export issues in a non-reef tank are much less of a priority. Its an added cost and maintenance task you might want to avoid.

I don't want to rain on your parade but Dog Face Puffers get pretty big. I've seen them easily reach 8+ inches in a year or two. That size fish isn't really going to work well in a 40 breeder, and the fish you typically keep in that size tank will become a viable food source for the puffer instead of pets.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really give you a blanket answer for this because it really depends on the size and type of fish. You're probably going to be able to keep 4-6 reasonable size fish in it. 40 Breeders are nice because they have the 18" width which makes aquascaping a lot more forgiving and really allows for a bit more creativity. If you're doing FOWLR you probably aren't going to need a refugium. You can definitely do it if you want but the nutrient export issues in a non-reef tank are much less of a priority. Its an added cost and maintenance task you might want to avoid.

I don't want to rain on your parade but Dog Face Puffers get pretty big. I've seen them easily reach 8+ inches in a year or two. That size fish isn't really going to work well in a 40 breeder, and the fish you typically keep in that size tank will become a viable food source for the puffer instead of pets.
Agree, well-put!

OP
OP
N

n4soccer06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know that if I'm doing FOWLR that I don't have to run a refuguim. Is a sump still the best option? I would still to like to keep the equipment off the back of the tank. If a sump is still the best option and I don't run a refuguim, anyone have suggestions on the biological filter? I knew that puffers can get big. I read that they can get to 6+ inches. Which is why I was looking to do 60ish gallon.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's good to know that if I'm doing FOWLR that I don't have to run a refuguim. Is a sump still the best option? I would still to like to keep the equipment off the back of the tank. If a sump is still the best option and I don't run a refuguim, anyone have suggestions on the biological filter? I knew that puffers can get big. I read that they can get to 6+ inches. Which is why I was looking to do 60ish gallon.
You should use a sump whenever possible in my opinion. There is really no downside to running a sump other than cost and needing space. If those two issues aren't a problem then always plan a tank around it in my opinion.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what kind of rock your looking for. Prices vary depending on where you buy and what kind of rock you want. I bought mine from Billy's reef connection. About $2.00 per pound, it's nice rock.

Looking at your post you said you are looking for a 50-65 gal tank, you must have more builds in the future planned for 250lbs.

OP
OP
N

n4soccer06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got yeah. I was interested because I found someone local that is selling a 60 gallon Oceanic reef tank and he said he had 250lbs of dry reef rock. I was thinking if it looked good I might buy some of it. Haha, not planning on buying all 250lbs of it. I thinking my wife shot me if I came home with 250lbs of just rock, lol.

OP
OP
N

n4soccer06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back