Need a Fish to eat Amphipods

Zydan777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
OK so I think this might have been asked before but I am having a Amphipod issue. I got some zoos from someone. They were very bright and colorful and the price was not bad. I did all the steps to get them in my tank. I started to see new growth and I was excited. A month later I realized that my spongebob zoas were all closed up. I monitored for a few days and they did not seem to open back up. The only thing I saw around them were some Amphipods. Next thing i saw that some of my zoa polyps were completely gone and I had Amphipods moving to the next polyp. I unfortunately lost that zoa. now it is attack my Super Sayan. M oved the Super Sayan and it has opened up again but I still lost 3 polyps from it. I did have a bullet goby and it might have been keeping the population in check but a month ago he decided he did not want to live in my tank anymore and was found on my floor. Since then I have put a cover over it but I am not wanting to get a bullet goby again because he liked to cover all my GSP in sand. What type of fish would be good to take care of the amphipods. I have a pair of clowns that will not touch them but like to munch on my copepods. I do not want anything that is a finicky eater because I have not had luck with any.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
Corals.com
OP
Z

Zydan777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Update. My LFS is out of stock of a lot of his uncommon fish. So I am going to have to wait. I have already lost my Super Sayan zoa which had a lot of Amphipods on it. All I have left is my hammer, GSP and my palys. I have not seen any issue with my hammer because my clowns like to protect it to the point of drawing blood from me when I am cleaning the algae of the display. My GSP seem to be fine and they seem to not even want to touch my Pandora Paly which has been growing like a weed since I got it. Hopefully nothing else gets affected until I can get a Wrasse in my tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Update. My LFS is out of stock of a lot of his uncommon fish. So I am going to have to wait. I have already lost my Super Sayan zoa which had a lot of Amphipods on it. All I have left is my hammer, GSP and my palys. I have not seen any issue with my hammer because my clowns like to protect it to the point of drawing blood from me when I am cleaning the algae of the display. My GSP seem to be fine and they seem to not even want to touch my Pandora Paly which has been growing like a weed since I got it. Hopefully nothing else gets affected until I can get a Wrasse in my tank.
Are you sure they arnt nudis.

OP
Z

Zydan777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mine has been very easy. Don't be alarmed if they dive into the sand and you don't see it for a day or two when introduced. Once acclimated he is always out and about foraging

Are you sure they arnt nudis.
No they are not nudis. They look like tiny shrimp and move around very quickly.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Halichoeres wrasses eat pods. Pink streaked wrasses also, and they are great for a small tank. Cirrhilabrus (fairy) and Paracheilinus (flasher) won't eat as many.

I doubt that amphipods - or copepods, or any kind of pods - are damaging your zoas. More likely that there is some other issue and the pods you see are eating tissue that is already dead.

Are you LAB TESTING your water parameters?

• YES I do or have

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • NO

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • No, But want to in the future.

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors