Need advice ASAP

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fighting conch. I have had 2 of them in my tank for 1 year and tonight one is missing (probably buried itself) and the other is doing laps around the tank but you need to watch the video to see my concern.

I turned the lights on there default setting when I heard the noise hence why everything is looking super white

Attachments

• video-1632267070.mp4
    2.1 MB
OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added 10ml of magnesium to the tank over the day as I am trying to raise the levels from seriously low. I am wondering if this is causing it to react like this or its something else. I have moved it to my refugium

I noticed its also got lots of slime

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need to add its 0.45 am here in the UK so I dont know whether I need to think about removing it from the tank completely or not. I cant do a water change as I normally buy my water from the LFS :( I knew I should have bought RODI and salt for myself ARGH kicking myself right now

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he's definitely excited - but it's really hard to tell from what. I can't see 10ml of magnesium causing this kind of reaction? What are your other water parameters?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm thats totally freaky.something spooking him big time,
I know mine has done something similar but nowhere near like yours doing,once when fed tank and bit off food got under shell where eyes and trunk is and he jumped few times and another time a pod went in his shell and jumped once but yours freaking out big time.

@vetteguy53081 @Mibu what you guys think

And is the conch still doing it or has it calmed down ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally if can put in aclimisation box or something maybe i would do that as would be scared off glass cracking,i know aquariums are toughned glass but i would be slightly concerned hitting glass like that.or put in bucket with heater,power head or airstone or something maybe.idk what to say but lets see if more experienced guys and gals can advise you.good luck

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything is how it normally runs.
salt 1.026
temp 78-79
alk 8.3
calc 450
mag was at 1170 hence why I upped my daily from 1ml to 10ml calculators for red sea recommended 30ml a day so obviously I was thinking play it safe and see how the mag is effected.
I dont have any ammonia or nitrite and I have not added anything new to the tank or any medications
Maybe its had a run in with a hermit although normally the hermits ride its back as it goes around the tank cleaning its shell so its a bit odd.
Nitrates around 10 and phos is 0.03 so nothing out of the ordinary other than the mag

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have added 10ml of magnesium to the tank over the day as I am trying to raise the levels from seriously low. I am wondering if this is causing it to react like this or its something else. I have moved it to my refugium

I noticed its also got lots of slime
Add gradually and to the sump- not directly to the tank

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose alway to the sump where the return pump is
Tank was pitch black I heard the banging. Other snails and fish all look fine.

20210922_010317.jpg

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay guys it seems to have calmed down I got a funny feeling it might be the hermit looking for a new home and I have a conch missing which is weird as my sand isn't terribly deep so even when they bury themselves they normally still stick out a bit.
I think I am going to leave it in the sump and check on it when my kids wake up in about 4 hours :D
Its got plenty to eat in the fuge at least.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ditto.

Of note, I NEVER knew a fighting conch could jump like that. Mines just likes to crawl along the sand...never thought it would be possible for it to pogo
They will when they are trying to escape. Op thinks hermit, likely cause.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My immediate thought was it is trying to escape something. Hermits can be real buggers. I hate them for the most part. That appendage is crazy. I had one jump off my hand like that. It was a very strange feeling.
If it is settled, my guess is something bothered it big time. No bobbit worms right? :)

Glad it is doing better. I love my conch.

OP
OP
CornishCrustyCorals

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My immediate thought was it is trying to escape something. Hermits can be real buggers. I hate them for the most part. That appendage is crazy. I had one jump off my hand like that. It was a very strange feeling.
If it is settled, my guess is something bothered it big time. No bobbit worms right? :)

Glad it is doing better. I love my conch.
Definitely no worms I've got a hermit that's just a little smaller than him I think he's the culprit.

I was concerned about the magnesium but I've just tested and the mag is still low so that's unlikely.

And to confirm I don't dose directly to the display tank. I should have said system or sump I was having a mad fighting conch 5 mins :D

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine the hermit is the cause of that behavior. That leaping ability is usually on display when the conch is disturbed by something. The repeated jumping with nothing near it is concerning. Even more concerning is that it almost looked as if it were coming out of it's shell towards the end of the video. I'd definitely keep him in the fuge for a while and watch him. I don't know anything you can do for him other than protect him.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely no worms I've got a hermit that's just a little smaller than him I think he's the culprit.

I was concerned about the magnesium but I've just tested and the mag is still low so that's unlikely.

And to confirm I don't dose directly to the display tank. I should have said system or sump I was having a mad fighting conch 5 mins :D
That would put me in a panic as well. I don't blame you. Hermits can get down right nasty.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back