Need advice on dying torch, bubble and duncan corals

Anish55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

As I near on completing my first year in this exciting hobby, everything went smooth for the last 11 months. But now I see my torch, bubble and duncan corals slowly dying. Please advice on how I can save them if not late.
I checked the basic water parameters (ammonia, nitrate, ph, nitrite) - all were normal. Also did 2 weekly water changes.

One of the torch heads died in 2 days.
2710B777-6F4F-4FFE-A11B-B68A1EF1EFD5.jpeg

Bubble coral stopped inflating the last 2 weeks and now seems to be decaying from the left side.
51D36F6A-ED9C-4408-A4CF-69DD217C0249.jpeg

Then the Duncan corals seems to have algae over them and now dying too.
1A59F4EE-9128-441F-B998-DFF17FD0D7F5.jpeg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the knowledgable folk here are gonna need a Lil more history and tank parameters so they can help you out. Water changes alone seised to help in my tank at about the one year mark and things went into a downward spiral from there.

Got into the habit of more testing and started dosing for what I was losing in between waterchanges to maintain a stable environment. I lost a lot of coral and learned the hard way the value of testing as a noob.

Getting outta the rut is doable. Just gotta keep up with maintanence.

you’re gonna have to start checking alk, calcium, and mag…. Zero nitrates n phos is no good. I am shooting for 5-10 in nitrates and under .1 in phos.

your corals look savable. Just gotta bring your levels to par And keep them there.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Can you please test, and list all parameters?

Sal, alk, no3, po4,cal, pH minimum.

If your parameters come back in line, and have been very stable for the last long while, you may be dealing with a bacterial issue.

Both The remaining torch head and bubble skeleton show heavily retracted tissue which is normally to me for sign of brown jelly.

On the picture of your Duncan,look like that's what the algea on the Skeleton is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anish55

Anish55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Can you please test, and list all parameters?

Sal, alk, now, por, cal, pH minimum.

If your parameters come back in line, and have been very stable for the last long while, you may be dealing with a bacterial issue.

Both The remaining torch head and bubble skeleton show heavily retracted tissue which is normally to me for sign of brown jelly.

On the picture of your Duncan,look like that's what the algea on the Skeleton is.
Just got my water tested, Phosphates are high. My local fish store gave Phosgaurd to keep in the filter. Will this be enough?
CE93AF2C-2E93-4AF2-88CB-F4D518F8EC37.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my water tested, Phosphates are high. My local fish store gave Phosgaurd to keep in the filter. Will this be enough?
CE93AF2C-2E93-4AF2-88CB-F4D518F8EC37.jpeg
Is that 2.9 po4? If so, congratulations. That's kind of an achievement.

Nitrates look in line and alkalinity is on the high side of still acceptable. My euphyllia get very upset North of ten.

Phosguard Will passively pull phosphates out of the water. It does work quite slowly but you do need to wash it as it will strip you completely dry if left unattended.

Do you have any idea where these phosphates are coming from?

Given the speed at which things are dying, my best guess is still bacterial based on the pictures and test. Underlying water parameters may have had something to do with it taking hold. I've had my phosphates well over 2 And it shouldn't cause systemic melt-offs one after another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anish55

Anish55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that 2.9 po4? If so, congratulations. That's kind of an achievement.

Nitrates look in line and alkalinity is on the high side of still acceptable. My euphyllia get very upset North of ten.

Phosguard Will passively pull phosphates out of the water. It does work quite slowly but you do need to wash it as it will strip you completely dry if left unattended.

Do you have any idea where these phosphates are coming from?

Given the speed at which things are dying, my best guess is still bacterial based on the pictures and test. Underlying water parameters may have had something to do with it taking hold. I've had my phosphates well over 2 And it shouldn't cause systemic melt-offs one after another.
Thanks you for helping out. I have been using tap water all this while, the phosphates may be coming from there is one guess. Going to switch to RO water (late lesson learnt, if this was the culprit). Didn’t add anything new to my tank for the last 4 months, can bacterial infection come from within? If so what’s is remedy for bacterial problem

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for helping out. I have been using tap water all this while, the phosphates may be coming from there is one guess. Going to switch to RO water (late lesson learnt, if this was the culprit). Didn’t add anything new to my tank for the last 4 months, can bacterial infection come from within? If so what’s is remedy for bacterial problem
YIKES ! You are using tap water ? You should be using RODI water or ocean water. Clorimines, choride fluoride and dog knows what else is in tap water

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back