Need advice on stocking 75g and compatibility

dmv025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some opinions. I recently upgraded to a 75g tank and am trying to decide what fish to add. I’ve done a bunch of research but would really like some advice from fellow reefers.

I currently have 2 Ocellaris clowns and a Diamond Watchman Goby who moved from the old tank.

Here are the fish I like and am trying to narrow down since I can’t get them all.

- Kole or Tomini Tang
- Coral Beauty (Had one for two years until he decided to jump overnight last week. ☹️ Still bummed. Might replace him.)
- Would love a small group of fish. Maybe a trio of Anthias or Flasher Wrasses? School of Green/blue Chromis? Not sure how many Chromis would work. Alternatively, would one Anthias, one Flasher Wrasse and a group of Chromis work or too much?
- Would like to add a Mandarin in the future once the tank can sustain one but would this be a problem with the Diamond Goby?
- I also like the bicolor or tailspot Blennies but also wonder about the Goby. He’s pretty territorial.

Any help or ideas appreciated! Thanks!

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the trio of anthias idea but in my opinion I would scratch both the chromis and the flasher wrasse trios. The reason for chromis is they are so susceptible to uronema, and it seems to be everywhere these days. Also, chromis get decently big and they aren’t good at schooling in smaller groups as they will just pick each other off. A trio of flasher wrasses is also not going to work, unless they are different species of flashers. If they are the same species and you are looking for a male and 2 females, that won’t work as the females change to male and will fight the established male. If it is different species then I support and it will work. So I think anthias are the best bet, as long as you get small ones such as sunset, resplendent, Randall’s, waitei. You could get away with the mid-sized anthias such as ignitus, carberryi, evansi, or dispar, but it would be a tight fit. Also, the mandarin will have no problem with the diamond goby, or viceversa. The blennies also shouldn’t have any problem with the goby.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a way to keep jumpers in now? Flasher wrasses and diamond gobies are among the worst jumpers.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Anthia trio idea, just a reminder that you'll likely need to feed several times daily.
Kole tang is always a nice addition as well, 75g probably right on the edge size wise, but I'd give it a go, especially you've got plenty of live rock...

OP
OP
D

dmv025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no Chromis and I’ve always preferred Anthias to Wrasses so will probably go that route. I’ve read that they too can be pretty aggressive to each other. Are there any that are less prone to that behavior or is it more hit or miss? If I got a pair instead of a trio would that make it better or worse?

I ordered a lid last week and working on a diy solution until it gets here. Definitely don’t want to lose anyone else.

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no Chromis and I’ve always preferred Anthias to Wrasses so will probably go that route. I’ve read that they too can be pretty aggressive to each other. Are there any that are less prone to that behavior or is it more hit or miss? If I got a pair instead of a trio would that make it better or worse?

I ordered a lid last week and working on a diy solution until it gets here. Definitely don’t want to lose anyone else.
Anthias are wayyy better than chromis. Chromis pick each other off rapidly, anthias usually don’t at all. Plus, for anthias, the more the better, as aggression is diffused. Bartlett’s are the most prone to picking each other off, although I’ve never had that happen. Lyretail and Bartlett’s are the only ones that may have that happen, the other species will be fine as long as there’s enough food for all individuals.

OP
OP
D

dmv025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thanks. I’ll look into the species you listed. I’m familiar with some but others not so much.

Appreciate the help!

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3x Chromis, 1x Leopard Wrasse, 1x Yellow Tang, 1x Clown Tang, 2x Ocellaris Clowns in my 75gal. All get along, yet the tangs definitely need more room. YMMV.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely 3 Anthias over 2 imo....somebody is getting heavily bullied otherwise....

OP
OP
D

dmv025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards 3 Resplendents or Randall’s. Any pros or cons to each? I like the Carberryi too but don’t want to overstock.

While researching Anthias I also came across the Sunburst. Would adding one of these with the three smaller ones be too much, either in compatibility or bio-load? I’m trying to narrow down my stock list butI keep finding more fish I like which just makes it harder!

I’m on the fence about the Tang. Never had one and have always wanted one but will he be a bully towards the docile fish? My coral beauty was a model citizen most days but had his jerk moments as well.

What about the one spot foxface? LA says 70g but don’t they also get kinda big?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards 3 Resplendents or Randall’s. Any pros or cons to each? I like the Carberryi too but don’t want to overstock.

While researching Anthias I also came across the Sunburst. Would adding one of these with the three smaller ones be too much, either in compatibility or bio-load? I’m trying to narrow down my stock list butI keep finding more fish I like which just makes it harder!

I’m on the fence about the Tang. Never had one and have always wanted one but will he be a bully towards the docile fish? My coral beauty was a model citizen most days but had his jerk moments as well.

What about the one spot foxface? LA says 70g but don’t they also get kinda big?
I have a Yellow Tang, added my CB 3 years ago, neither of them bully, BUT, each fish is it's own individual...

Fishagent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to get some opinions. I recently upgraded to a 75g tank and am trying to decide what fish to add. I’ve done a bunch of research but would really like some advice from fellow reefers.

I currently have 2 Ocellaris clowns and a Diamond Watchman Goby who moved from the old tank.

Here are the fish I like and am trying to narrow down since I can’t get them all.

- Kole or Tomini Tang
- Coral Beauty (Had one for two years until he decided to jump overnight last week. ☹️ Still bummed. Might replace him.)
- Would love a small group of fish. Maybe a trio of Anthias or Flasher Wrasses? School of Green/blue Chromis? Not sure how many Chromis would work. Alternatively, would one Anthias, one Flasher Wrasse and a group of Chromis work or too much?
- Would like to add a Mandarin in the future once the tank can sustain one but would this be a problem with the Diamond Goby?
- I also like the bicolor or tailspot Blennies but also wonder about the Goby. He’s pretty territorial.

Any help or ideas appreciated! Thanks!
What about Atlantic Blue Tang juvenile?

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t consider this. Atlantic blue tangs get massive, I’d be worried about one in a tank 3 times your size. I’m not one to police tangs unless it’s cruel, and this is pretty cruel. Also, they are a dull yellow as juveniles, so if you decide that kind of color is appealing to you, just get a yellow coris wrasse which is much brighter and easier to care for.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides public aquariums, I have never seen a healthy captive adult Atlantic blue, in person or online.

Best tangs for 75 would be any of the Ctenochaetus (Bristletooth) tangs except Chevron.

Fishagent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides public aquariums, I have never seen a healthy captive adult Atlantic blue, in person or online.

Best tangs for 75 would be any of the Ctenochaetus (Bristletooth) tangs except Chevron.
I have had Atl. Blue Tang for 3 yrs. He is in pristine health. Any yellow tang that I have had always had some degree of lateral line, however my Blue is great, he is in 90 gallon fowlr tank. I have alwys seen Atl Blue looking good in aq. stores, so I had no idea that they can be difficult. Descriptions of hardiness always vary. For example, most people think yellows are easy, I have never felt so. My view of the Blue is that it is easy. You are correct to note adult version, since more time for issues to arise. However, unless this Blue is the exception, he is a beauty.

Fishagent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Atl. Blue Tang for 3 yrs. He is in pristine health. Any yellow tang that I have had always had some degree of lateral line, however my Blue is great, he is in 90 gallon fowlr tank. I have alwys seen Atl Blue looking good in aq. stores, so I had no idea that they can be difficult. Descriptions of hardiness always vary. For example, most people think yellows are easy, I have never felt so. My view of the Blue is that it is easy. You are correct to note adult version, since more time for issues to arise. However, unless this Blue is the exception, he is a beauty.
here is photo

Attachments

• 20210202_141749.jpg
    20210202_141749.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 26

Fishagent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t consider this. Atlantic blue tangs get massive, I’d be worried about one in a tank 3 times your size. I’m not one to police tangs unless it’s cruel, and this is pretty cruel. Also, they are a dull yellow as juveniles, so if you decide that kind of color is appealing to you, just get a yellow coris wrasse which is much brighter and easier to care for.
exactly what time period do you think they'll get massive in. a juvenile in my 90 gallon 3 yrs ago is at most 5 inches. yes there will be some stunting. we should say no tangs angels or any of the large marine fish for less than a 300 gallon tank. cruelty is keeping fish in tanks at all. greater cruelty is poor animal husbandry that kills fish. someone who is well read and prepared to expand to a larger tank can be expected to care for a blue tang that is a moderate fish for quite some time. why deny them that experience?

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly what time period do you think they'll get massive in. a juvenile in my 90 gallon 3 yrs ago is at most 5 inches. yes there will be some stunting. we should say no tangs angels or any of the large marine fish for less than a 300 gallon tank. cruelty is keeping fish in tanks at all. greater cruelty is poor animal husbandry that kills fish. someone who is well read and prepared to expand to a larger tank can be expected to care for a blue tang that is a moderate fish for quite some time. why deny them that experience?
I’m sorry man I just completely disagree. I have a problem with someone knowing their fish will be stunted yet they continue to do so. I disagree with your statement that having fish in tanks cruelty. I see what you mean, but it’s very different for many species. Some aquarium fish species hardly travel at all in their lives, so I don’t see how having those species in a tank is cruel. Now for the tangs, I have agree a little more, they love to swim, so having them in a tank will constrict their ability to travel far distances, but in a “proper” size tank for them they are still able to swim their desired amount. Now that is subjective to what the aquarium owner decides is proper, but in my opinion an atlantic blue in a 90 is far from proper, they get so large, whether or not they are stunted. Also it’s not about gallons as much as it is about horizontal swimming room, so some smaller species of tangs and angels will thrive in anything 4+ feet, while the mid sized tangs and angels do best in 6+ feet, and the largest species really need at least 8 feet. Also he never mentioned on upgrading his system, and it’s best to plan for the tank you have, not a future one.

Fishagent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry man I just completely disagree. I have a problem with someone knowing their fish will be stunted yet they continue to do so. I disagree with your statement that having fish in tanks cruelty. I see what you mean, but it’s very different for many species. Some aquarium fish species hardly travel at all in their lives, so I don’t see how having those species in a tank is cruel. Now for the tangs, I have agree a little more, they love to swim, so having them in a tank will constrict their ability to travel far distances, but in a “proper” size tank for them they are still able to swim their desired amount. Now that is subjective to what the aquarium owner decides is proper, but in my opinion an atlantic blue in a 90 is far from proper, they get so large, whether or not they are stunted. Also it’s not about gallons as much as it is about horizontal swimming room, so some smaller species of tangs and angels will thrive in anything 4+ feet, while the mid sized tangs and angels do best in 6+ feet, and the largest species really need at least 8 feet. Also he never mentioned on upgrading his system, and it’s best to plan for the tank you have, not a future one.
You're missing my point. A 2 inch juvenile blue wont get more than 4-5 inches in a 75 gallon tank and it will take years for that to happen. Of course we are talking rectangular tanks with 48 inches. All fish are stunted. A perc can get 5 inches, my lfs had a huge percula. Dont you think those 1-2 inch percs kept in nano systems are being stunted. So if your point is that it is cruel to stunt, I agree, that's where the cruelty to keeping fish in tanks comes in. I have snorkeled reefs in many different areas. Even the small guys have a range that couldn't be met by even Shedd's aquarium. Yes they spend a lot of times in rocks, however I also see them quite a bit away from the reef. It is a philosophical question. Is a jail with golden bars any less confinement. We remove, pollution, predators and starvation, along with their freedom. I do see your point about future system, although he moved up to the 75, so perhaps he would consider a larger tank in future or has a friend. In my case, I have options as to where my fish go, however, I guess not everyone does. Finally your point as to the 225 gallon tank concerning you as to keeping the blue, I have to ask you, is it a concern for a 4-6 inch blue, or do you envision a fully grown blue living in that tank? Because even that size tank will stunt the fish.

OP
OP
D

dmv025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone’s input. I had already decided on a yellow eye Kole tang. Atlantic blue tangs are beautiful, as are many others, and I probably will upgrade again in the future since this reefing thing is addictive, but it’s not a certainty and I don’t want to have to part with any of my pets if I can help it. :)

Also, I’m a she. ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back