Need advices...

春はる

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my mum, on her way home, saw some fishes and decided to buy it. We bought a 5L tank and a water filter for the fishes and I think they are not comfortable as 5L is small for 2 pipefish, 2 clownfish, 3 other fish that i dont know the name, and a ribbon eel. Its just a few days after she bought them and all is going well except for the eel. He would not eat whatever we gave him. Then I thought maybe he wasn't feeling comfortable in the tank so we tried to separate him in a large water container to feed him there but he still wouldn't eat and I am getting really worried since I want him to live. We are planning to buy a larger tank if they survive for a week or so to avoid wasting money. Anyone have any tip they can share as to how they fed their eels for the first time since I really don't want them all to die...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh no. I would see if you have a friend or local club member that can house these for you until you can properly set up a suitable tank for them and I hope you have a cover on that current tank for the eel who will quickly escape

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish are hard to keep, especially if you’re a beginner and if the tank is new. They need live foods to survive and need to be trained to eat frozen food. Can you take them back to your LFS?

AquaholicAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my mum, on her way home, saw some fishes and decided to buy it. We bought a 5L tank and a water filter for the fishes and I think they are not comfortable as 5L is small for 2 pipefish, 2 clownfish, 3 other fish that i dont know the name, and a ribbon eel. Its just a few days after she bought them and all is going well except for the eel. He would not eat whatever we gave him. Then I thought maybe he wasn't feeling comfortable in the tank so we tried to separate him in a large water container to feed him there but he still wouldn't eat and I am getting really worried since I want him to live. We are planning to buy a larger tank if they survive for a week or so to avoid wasting money. Anyone have any tip they can share as to how they fed their eels for the first time since I really don't want them all to die...

Hello, please get those fish back to where they were originally purchased from! Feeding alone on the eel will cause the parameters to go all over the place! 7 fish plus an Eel in 1.3 gallons is nothing short of animal abuse! Ribbon eels are the toughest ones to get to eat and don’t do well in captivity. But the stress alone of being in a 1 gallon tank It will never eat.

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 100% recommend taking these fish back to the LFS and setting up a suitable system. Or if you really don't want to lose the fish ask an LFS to hold them for you until you are ready.

You will need a much larger tank im afraid, even expert reef keepers struggle with Pico, and not with the fish you are housing.

Have you got flow in the aquarium? And what sort of filtration are you using?

I really would suggest putting everything on pause, getting the livestock somewhere they will be cared for and doing some research before jumping back in.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back