Need an appraisal on this tank

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a 4-5 year old Red Sea reefer 450
Retail Price: 2.3k ( new )
Looking for 2k ( Too much or Too little ??? )

Display volume ( 92 G )
Sump ( 24 G )
Total ( 116 G )

Dimensions:
59"L x 20"W x 22"H

What it comes with:
The stand and plumbing comes with it

(4) Kessil360s tuns blue
(1) Curve 7 Protein Skimmer
(1) Neptune Systems 1link
(1) FFM
(1) PM2
(1) Eco tech wave maker
(1) Dosing pump

Now It has a chip on the glass:
A9080F0A-A5A5-4658-A810-7F36D38BECD6.jpeg

Is 2k good for this tank or would a little less be reasonable knowing it is a fairly used tank.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get 1200 or so for the lights alone

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if something brand new never used still in box you generally would lose 50% or sightly less .
But if used for 4- 5 years maybe add up all the cost of equipment and tank then work out what 20-25% comes to and i would be asking for that much or the most $ 1000.00 -$1200.00 american dollors at a guess.
But maybe best to look on different sites and see what other similar set ups actually get sold for imo
Me personally i wouldnt want to pay more than £ 600-£700 which is about $700,$800 i think.reason being its 4- 5 year old and from my research i read tanks generally good suggestion to re- seal when get to 10 years old and if all equipment 4- 5 years old also maybe they near end of life as dont make stuff like they used to.
I hope you dont think im being harsh,im just giving my opinion but ive never owned all the equipment you got and only got rid of 3 freshwater tanks and little equipments with them and gave for free 2 of them and last one a 200 litres tank with lights,filter,airstones and 4 carrier bags full of bits and bobs,and lots spare rocks,driftwood etc and sold it really cheap for £60 just so could buy cheap qt tank for start of my saltwater journey,as had my use out of it for about 5 years and was total maybe £900 .
But its worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
Good luck and hope you get what you wanting for it.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seen another thread for similar lights for yours and googled how much yours are and if you have 4 then you probably paid nearly 2k for yours ?
I wouldnt want to pay 50% of original price for 4 lights at 1k but thats just me.as i say im new and never owned your equipment and never checked if they hold their value and how long the life expancy is for them.
Maybe you should research that and decide price from there

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-232632_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-232632_Google.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210706-232640_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-232640_Google.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if something brand new never used still in box you generally would lose 50% or sightly less .
But if used for 4- 5 years maybe add up all the cost of equipment and tank then work out what 20-25% comes to and i would be asking for that much or the most $ 1000.00 -$1200.00 american dollors at a guess.
But maybe best to look on different sites and see what other similar set ups actually get sold for imo
Me personally i wouldnt want to pay more than £ 600-£700 which is about $700,$800 i think.reason being its 4- 5 year old and from my research i read tanks generally good suggestion to re- seal when get to 10 years old and if all equipment 4- 5 years old also maybe they near end of life as dont make stuff like they used to.
I hope you dont think im being harsh,im just giving my opinion but ive never owned all the equipment you got and only got rid of 3 freshwater tanks and little equipments with them and gave for free 2 of them and last one a 200 litres tank with lights,filter,airstones and 4 carrier bags full of bits and bobs,and lots spare rocks,driftwood etc and sold it really cheap for £60 just so could buy cheap qt tank for start of my saltwater journey,as had my use out of it for about 5 years and was total maybe £900 .
But its worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
Good luck and hope you get what you wanting for it.
...not to mention the lights degrade over time. I’m not sure what the useful life on a light kit like that, but it’s definitely something to consider.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason i mention research how long life expectancy is of your equipment is because if ever talk to a buyer and they try knock the price down saying " well they 4- 5 years old and may fail in under a year" then you will have the knowledge/ research to take some of the power back from the buyer and you can state well this equipment usually lasts x amount years and this equipment x amount and this equipment usually sells for x% of originally price because quality product etc etc.
As most sellers want as much as possible usually ( unless like me and just think i had my use out of it so will help someone out and give cheap) ^_^ .
And most buyers want as cheao as possible so if you got all the information then this will help your sales pitch imo.
Remember knowledge is power ^_^

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd sell the lights on ebay or here, skimmer and other eq too ... then sell the tank local.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason i mention research how long life expectancy is of your equipment is because if ever talk to a buyer and they try knock the price down saying " well they 4- 5 years old and may fail in under a year" then you will have the knowledge/ research to take some of the power back from the buyer and you can state well this equipment usually lasts x amount years and this equipment x amount and this equipment usually sells for x% of originally price because quality product etc etc.
As most sellers want as much as possible usually ( unless like me and just think i had my use out of it so will help someone out and give cheap) ^_^ .
And most buyers want as cheao as possible so if you got all the information then this will help your sales pitch imo.
Just from an accounting perspective, rule of thumb is a 5-year depreciation schedule on most equipment.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that makes sense, but it comes with plumbing and a stand

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue is going to be finding a buyer who will accept a chipped tank. Might be a terrarium at this point which go for a lot less.
With everything, plus the chip that doesn't cause any leaks what would you say the overall worth is ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i read a thread on r2r only other day of someone giving advice to someone who wanting to buy a used saltwater tank/ set up and a guy said this " because of covid and alot staying at home or working from home,there probably been an increase of people buying saltwater tanks and maybe as people know getting back into work and not at home as much they want rid of tank or their tank failed and want to sell it so check face book and craigslist etc for tanks to buy as will get cheap if the market is full of people selling tanks"
So if this is true then supply and demand scenario kicks in as more of one partically product ( saltwater tanks/ set ups) then cheaper it becomes so you will have to research if there is lots of set ups for sale imo

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything, plus the chip that doesn't cause any leaks what would you say the overall worth is ?
I'm not knowledgeable on any of it except the kessil which I own. Should be able to sell those for 1000-1200. For the tank a chip is a chip. To me it's worthless, to others maybe not.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Kessills and they're great, but these are discontinued models with no warranty. LED's have a 5 year service life and they've been used for 4 -5 years you say? Probably worth a couple hundred bucks to somebody willing to take the risk, unless you're taking advantage of people who think LED's last forever.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not knowledgeable on any of it except the kessil which I own. Should be able to sell those for 1000-1200. For the tank a chip is a chip. To me it's worthless, to others maybe not.
Do you think the chip is going to get bigger as time goes on ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chipped tank is usually listed as free where I am.

I would probably part out the other stuff.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back