Need any and all advice

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! New to the site as well saltwater! Currently, I have my tank that’s it. 55 gal, bare tank. I am making my own stand and hood, already in the process. My biggest question is about filtration. I’m not going to have the room to run a sump system. Was planning on running a canister filter. Is that okay? How would I go about a skimmer, HOB? I’ve been seeing a lot about an over flow box, not entirely sure what that is. Or if it’s for sump systems only. I know my live rock will technically be my main means of filtration with blowers and what not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME, Ive seen many salt aquariums ran on canister filters. also a HOB skimmer will work, and overflow boxes are for none drilled tanks to go to a sump, usually. Main thing is to go slow and don't overload your system. Research... that is the best way to figure out the best filtration and equipment best fits your style of keeping things happy. GOODLUCK. Cant wait to see a build thread.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my .02 would be (given you haven't built stand and canopy yet). Is to spend a little more money for a 75. A 55 will feel real shallow front to back, especially once you hang on a skimmer, filter etc... that 12.5 inches isn't alot to work with. Also, many light systems wont fit over a tank that skinny. I would even recommend a 40 breeder over a 55.

That said, yes you can do pretty much everything you need with a hang on back skimmer and a canister filter and many people have successfully kept 55 gallon reef tanks.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME, Ive seen many salt aquariums ran on canister filters. also a HOB skimmer will work, and overflow boxes are for none drilled tanks to go to a sump, usually. Main thing is to go slow and don't overload your system. Research... that is the best way to figure out the best filtration and equipment best fits your style of keeping things happy. GOODLUCK. Cant wait to see a build thread.

Thanks! Been doing tons of research! Just looking for some final opinions on things.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my .02 would be (given you haven't built stand and canopy yet). Is to spend a little more money for a 75. A 55 will feel real shallow front to back, especially once you hang on a skimmer, filter etc... that 12.5 inches isn't alot to work with. Also, many light systems wont fit over a tank that skinny. I would even recommend a 40 breeder over a 55.

That said, yes you can do pretty much everything you need with a hang on back skimmer and a canister filter and many people have successfully kept 55 gallon reef tanks.

I know it’s only a few more inches but I am VERY confined on space as to where this tank will have to be. Currently running 5 freshwater tanks, so the house is getting full LOL. I’ve come up with a pretty good stand/hood design to compensate for the confined space. I’ve been heavily thinking of getting the Current USA Orbit Marine light system, thoughts? And as far as running a HOB skimmer, any recommendations?

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with @AlexStinson on the foot print of the 55 gallon tank. It is a really difficult size tank to aquascape because you have to build the rock up instead of spreading it out (makes it difficult to get a stable structure). I understand wanting to use what you have though :) A few of us have just been there, done that, and had to explain to the spouse the need to set up a different tank when we just got one up and running :p

I personally prefer to run the tank without the canister filter. I bought an established system without a sump but with a canister filter. I slowly removed the media and removed the canister completely. Seen no negative impact on the tank and it simplified the upkeep greatly.

I do occasionally hook the canister back up with filter pads when I do a deep clean on the tank and make the water cloudy/dirty.

I did add a HOB skimmer.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ran a canister on one of my smaller tanks, i removed all the media and replace with live rock rubble and used it as a crpytic refugium. It actually got clogged from Trochus snails that managed to grow inside it.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. A 55 will be fine if that's what you have to start with. If you have the means to go BIGGER then great. A canister will work fine as long as you keep up with maintenance and stick to a regular routine. Many great hang on back skimmers out there so it shouldn't be a problem finding a decent one. Start slow and keeping asking questions, were all happy to help here.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been heavily thinking of getting the Current USA Orbit Marine light system, thoughts? And as far as running a HOB skimmer, any recommendations?

Used to have this light on standard 29g -good with Softies/ red Monti Cap liked it too
Look into Aquammaxx HOB

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with @AlexStinson on the foot print of the 55 gallon tank. It is a really difficult size tank to aquascape because you have to build the rock up instead of spreading it out (makes it difficult to get a stable structure). I understand wanting to use what you have though :) A few of us have just been there, done that, and had to explain to the spouse the need to set up a different tank when we just got one up and running :p

I personally prefer to run the tank without the canister filter. I bought an established system without a sump but with a canister filter. I slowly removed the media and removed the canister completely. Seen no negative impact on the tank and it simplified the upkeep greatly.

I do occasionally hook the canister back up with filter pads when I do a deep clean on the tank and make the water cloudy/dirty.

I did add a HOB skimmer.

I would love to go bigger, just don’t have the space as I’m already running a few FW tanks. So you’re suggesting or saying rather, that I don’t really need a filter at all? Just the use of a skimmer combined with natural filtration would work? I don’t mind the upkeep and maintenance of a filter system. Just figured it was necessary since I won’t have a sump.

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ran a canister on one of my smaller tanks, i removed all the media and replace with live rock rubble and used it as a crpytic refugium. It actually got clogged from Trochus snails that managed to grow inside it.

Cryptic Refugium?? That’s a dark refugium correct? I know nothing about that. My plan was to just run the canister as normal and to keep a close eye on how things are going and make changes from there. Never had the idea of making a canister into any type of refugium!

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I know this is ultimately up to me and what I think/works best personally. My idea of live rock formation was a “natural” looking archway. Being the 55 is a skinny tank. Thoughts?

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to go bigger, just don’t have the space as I’m already running a few FW tanks. So you’re suggesting or saying rather, that I don’t really need a filter at all? Just the use of a skimmer combined with natural filtration would work? I don’t mind the upkeep and maintenance of a filter system. Just figured it was necessary since I won’t have a sump.

Going smaller to a 40 gallon breeder ($40 with the petco dollar a gallon sale) would give you a tank that has more workable area. Plus if down the road you wanted to drill it for an overflow you could. The 55 gallon will more than likely be tempered glass and not drillable. And please don't think I am trying to discourage you from using the 55g, just stating some of the cons before you get everything set up and there is no turning back. You are already off to a great start asking for advice for getting the tank up and going, so I know what ever size you go with will be awesome :D

Yes, in my opinion a canister is not necessary. All your bacteria will be in the sand and live rock so it is not required for biological filtration. The filter may catch some of the stuff floating around and work kinda like a filter sock that is normally in the sump for mechanical filtration. But you can achieve some of that by siphoning some of the detritus out during a water change. Sometimes when I just need to suction out some algae or something, I attach a filter sock to a 5 gallon bucket and syphon into the sock, then pump the water back into the tank. That way I achieve the goal of cleaning the tank but don't have to replace all the water.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about the look of the tank and how you like it. No matter what the rock is going to house the majority of bacteria. I like a clear looking tank so me personally, I'd use a canister as a sock and ad some carbon. Just a preference though. I run a sock in my sump 24/7 because I like the clearest look possible.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s only a few more inches but I am VERY confined on space as to where this tank will have to be. Currently running 5 freshwater tanks, so the house is getting full LOL. I’ve come up with a pretty good stand/hood design to compensate for the confined space. I’ve been heavily thinking of getting the Current USA Orbit Marine light system, thoughts? And as far as running a HOB skimmer, any recommendations?
I had those lights for the first 2 yrs, but recently switched to T-5's, ATI fixture. Those lights wouldn't grow Acros

OP
OP
Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going smaller to a 40 gallon breeder ($40 with the petco dollar a gallon sale) would give you a tank that has more workable area. Plus if down the road you wanted to drill it for an overflow you could. The 55 gallon will more than likely be tempered glass and not drillable. And please don't think I am trying to discourage you from using the 55g, just stating some of the cons before you get everything set up and there is no turning back. You are already off to a great start asking for advice for getting the tank up and going, so I know what ever size you go with will be awesome :D

Yes, in my opinion a canister is not necessary. All your bacteria will be in the sand and live rock so it is not required for biological filtration. The filter may catch some of the stuff floating around and work kinda like a filter sock that is normally in the sump for mechanical filtration. But you can achieve some of that by siphoning some of the detritus out during a water change. Sometimes when I just need to suction out some algae or something, I attach a filter sock to a 5 gallon bucket and syphon into the sock, then pump the water back into the tank. That way I achieve the goal of cleaning the tank but don't have to replace all the water.

Ya know, I gave a good bit of thought to a 40 breeder, for that sole reason alone more workable area. But my current biggest FW tank is a 36 bowfront and I really just wanted bigger I think I can make it work! I have some good ideas, I believe. Thanks for the info on the filter side of things! I think I’m still gonna run a canister, atleast to start.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back