Need bulb opinions please!

icedgxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some opinions on lighting. It is about time to switch out my halides and I want some ideas. Right now I have phoenix 14k's in my current sunpod (150w). Should I go back with them? I am also considering the radium 20k's? Reeflux 12k? I am looking for best stand alone color, as I have no actinic supplementation, and also best par. Does anyone have any experience with the three bulbs? Maybe even ushio 10k or pheonix 14k and order 6ft vho supplementation. I think there is a decent icecap kit on marinedepot that comes with eveything for the 6ft vho setup.Tank is mainly sps btw. Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

Last edited:

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new AquaMaxx 14K from Marine Depot. I absolutely love it. I saw a thread on one of the sites where it had the par readings of it compared to the IceCap and the Aquamaxx had a high par.

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Phoenix 14's for years till now. Great bulbs with good color and growth for me anyway in my SPS systems. Now I have gone to all SE bulbs on my new tank.

I vote Phoenix. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

jason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved the phoenix cause radium never made a bulb at the time. Get the radium and see if you like it or not. If not always go back to the phoenix.

COReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love the radiums color but the phoenix bulbs are nice too. i don't think you can go wrong with either.

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reeflux are good bulbs, but to white to stand alone and get good color. I have tried a lot of bulbs, and I always liked the Radiums the best, for stand alone bulbs as far as color goes. They look the best if they are not over driven by an HQI ballast in my oponion. I still added 3 VHO super Actenics to my 3 250 watt radiums on my 125. Out of everything I tried, I like this set up the best. The Phoenix 14K are what I would use if I didn't like the Radiums so much. There are better bulbs for total PAR, but I get the best colors on my corals, as well as the easiest on my eyes with Radiums. I still get great growth, even on SPS. I have used them alone, and they are still great that way, just better with Actenic supplimentation. Of course everyone is probably going to tell you something different. Go look at as many tanks as you can, and when you find a lighting set up you like, check out what they are using.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back