UV Sterilizer ~ 350-400 gph
Water Change - Twice a month 15 gallons
Dry Rock
Live Sand

Levels:
8.4 PH
Nitrate ~50ppm
Phosphate ~0.25ppm

Little back story: Had Green hair algae outbreak 5months into the tank. Used Vibrant for about 4-5 months to get rid of it worked really well, but now dinos or possibly cyano are here. Did a 3 day blackout and installed a UV sterilizer to the return line which seems to do really good work for a while but now 2 months later they are back in full force. Seems to be very strong on the sandbed and that's about it. I did replace the lights from T5 -> Leds which probably has a higher par output them previously so light might be the trick, but I just want to confirm the type of dinos before treatment.

Currently looks like this in tank some brown/some red-ish (thought it was cyano at first due to being red):

No description available.

Some Close ups:

Sorry for the possibly bad pictures, first time using a microscope and had my phone taking the pictures / video.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure does look like LC Amphidinium.
You think so? I was hopping it would be the latter, LC Amphibinium is going to be annoying to treat.

The reason I was thinking Prorocentrum was that center circle and the movement but I guess they are very similar.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big difference between LCA and Prorocentrum is the "hook" at one end. LCA has a distinctive "hook" or "beak" on one end. The roundish part in the center of the cell is more pronounced in Prorocentrum.

I couldn't find Taricha's dino ID pdf so here it is again..

Attachments

• DinoflagellateID12_12_2019.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big difference between LCA and Prorocentrum is the "hook" at one end. LCA has a distinctive "hook" or "beak" on one end. The roundish part in the center of the cell is more pronounced in Prorocentrum.

I couldn't find Taricha's dino ID pdf so here it is again..
Ahh interesting! Now that you say the "hook" I can definitely see that on them. That PDF is amazing as well.

Guess it's time to plan the attack on LCA.

Thanks for the feedback!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its amphi and a type that is fairly easy to battle once you get the upper hand. Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amphi and a type that is fairly easy to battle once you get the upper hand. Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
This is a interesting approach. I've always been weary of dosing hydrogen peroxide because of my carpet anemone, thing is almost 15 inches wide so I don't know how it would react. I can do the rest of the approach but I assume the hydrogen peroxide is the main component of this treatment.

Do you have any alternatives or thoughts? All I find is mixed results on anemones being able to handle it and some that just don't make it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is a interesting approach. I've always been weary of dosing hydrogen peroxide because of my carpet anemone, thing is almost 15 inches wide so I don't know how it would react. I can do the rest of the approach but I assume the hydrogen peroxide is the main component of this treatment.

Do you have any alternatives or thoughts? All I find is mixed results on anemones being able to handle it and some that just don't make it.
Peroxide is almost all H2O (water) and quite safe

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide is almost all H2O (water) and quite safe
Thanks for the plan! Going to pick up some MicroBacter7 and Hydrogen Peroxide tomorrow and hopefully start the treatment Wednesday.

One quick question for the treatment should I be running UV or not? I see its recommended to turn it off when using MicroBacter7 but then turn back on after 4 hours.

Also if you have any helpful tips that would be beneficial that you think I should know that be great. My plan is too do the exact order of events you laid out then for regular tank maintenancekeep dosing MicroBacter7 even after(if they are gone) dinos are gone.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the plan! Going to pick up some MicroBacter7 and Hydrogen Peroxide tomorrow and hopefully start the treatment Wednesday.

One quick question for the treatment should I be running UV or not? I see its recommended to turn it off when using MicroBacter7 but then turn back on after 4 hours.

Also if you have any helpful tips that would be beneficial that you think I should know that be great. My plan is too do the exact order of events you laid out then for regular tank maintenancekeep dosing MicroBacter7 even after(if they are gone) dinos are gone.
Yes run it and after 4 hours as shown. You can also run skimmer but empty the cup every day

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep this documented and if anyone else wants to reference this solution I'll start a update on treatment.

Day 1:
15% Water Change with Siphoning entire sand bed
Stopped Scrapping Glass (so far 5 days and haven't touched it)
Dosed Microbacter7 in Morning 1ml per 10 gallons (might step this up later in the week to the recommended 5ml per 25g)
Dosing 1ml of Hydrogen Peroxide per 10 gallons at night
Lights are Kessil A360x so running 10-15% intensity only blues.

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen Peroxide did not effect my Carpet Anemone or anything for that matter so I'm happy about that :cool: , sand bed definitely got some dinos/cyano on them even with the little light and additives (had little cyano patches along with dinos before starting this treatment).

Day 2:
Changed Filter socks in morning (they were gross even after just 1 day)
Dosed 1.5ml per 10 gallon of MicroBacter 7 (will shift over to recommended 5ml per 25 gallon tomorrow)
Will Dose 1ml per 10 gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide tonight again.

Possibly turn down the light more? 10-15% seems high still

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3:
Same routine as Day 2 bump up Micro bacter 7 to 15ml
Tank definitely had Dinos/Cyano still big patches

1627303844116.png

Day 4:
Same routine as day 3 but bumped up Microbacter7 to 20ml

Morning sand bed was clean - almost no dinos anywhere. Filter socks still were dirty so it's catching something.
As soon as the lights come on or the ambient light from the house gets in patches of dinos appear. Still think its headed in the right direction though.

1627303825680.png

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Update:

Day 5/6 continued the same treatment as the day before.

Started to raise lights on Day 6 by doing a increase of 10% a day (corals seem fine). Going to continue to dose Microbacter7 / Hydrogen peroxide daily since there is still about 20 - 30% of the Dinos left. ALOT is gone. But definitely still have patches that need more doing.

Would you agree on this course or should I let the tank take a break and continue in a week or two - @vetteguy53081?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Little Update:

Day 5/6 continued the same treatment as the day before.

Started to raise lights on Day 6 by doing a increase of 10% a day (corals seem fine). Going to continue to dose Microbacter7 / Hydrogen peroxide daily since there is still about 20 - 30% of the Dinos left. ALOT is gone. But definitely still have patches that need more doing.

Would you agree on this course or should I let the tank take a break and continue in a week or two - @vetteguy53081?
On track- taking a little longer. Continue peroxide at night for next two weeks as well as bacteria. Ramp lights up at that 10% evry other day- not daily and remember to clean filters daily

OP
OP
Chrisss

Chrisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On track- taking a little longer. Continue peroxide at night for next two weeks as well as bacteria. Ramp lights up at that 10% evry other day- not daily and remember to clean filters daily
I would be lying if I said this is working anymore. Been almost 2 weeks and we are back where we started. Lights are around ~50% only blues

Dinos are ALL gone during the night, cannot see even a spec of brown in the sand. But during the middle of the day and until lights go off they are in full force.

I've been keeping up on all maintenance so I don't really know what else to do. Currently at 20ml of Bacteria in the morning and 15ml of Hydrogen Peroxide at night, filter socks replaced every morning and they are always dirty. (Not currently targeting spots just dumping liquids into display)

233643342_424576358817118_1994935206407933273_n.jpg 233709569_508262860243709_7089527753198672726_n.jpg

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a very similar experience even though my treatment methods were very different. I have not changed my display lighting or tried h2o2. I started dosing silicates this week. I’ll let you know if I see any improvement. I also need to get more live phytoplankton.

Back