Need help and ideas... Return plumbing...

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

So i'm finally freeing up some time to re/do my return plumbing. Currently i'm running a 1" hose from my return up to the tank, but I don't like where my return J tube sits in the tank. I wan't to plumb it with some PVC.

My challenge is the J tube part... I have a rimmed tank, and i'm curious how some of you with over the top returns (not one's plumbed into their overflow box) secure it on their tank. Ideally I want to connect two loc line returns so i can direct one behind my rockwork, and the other towards surface for some agitation. Essentially I want some ideas how people got it to hang over the rimmed tank or rest over it safely and securely

thanks!

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use PVC pipe strap with like double sided tape? It should hold it in place

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

So i'm finally freeing up some time to re/do my return plumbing. Currently i'm running a 1" hose from my return up to the tank, but I don't like where my return J tube sits in the tank. I wan't to plumb it with some PVC.

My challenge is the J tube part... I have a rimmed tank, and i'm curious how some of you with over the top returns (not one's plumbed into their overflow box) secure it on their tank. Ideally I want to connect two loc line returns so i can direct one behind my rockwork, and the other towards surface for some agitation. Essentially I want some ideas how people got it to hang over the rimmed tank or rest over it safely and securely

thanks!
If you're looking to do pvc, what you can do is have the pvc tube run up the back of your tank, make a 90, and then put a small section in there to get over your rim, then another 90, then another section of pipe to do down however far you need to go to to your water level, and then another 90 that goes to a threaded fitting. From there you can thread on the loc line fitting. It would essentially rest on the rim of the tank for support. If you need it tied down you could use two sided tape on the backside where it comes up along the backside. My MS Paint skills are rudimentary so bare with me :)

Untitled1234.png

202471-Schedule-80-Elbow-Slip-x-Slip-grouped-b_1.jpg

202483-Schedule-80-Elbow-Slip-x-Thread-grouped-b_1.jpg

Then this would thread into the last 90 with the threads in it, and your loc line would attach to that :)
202748-Loc-Line-Male-NPT-Connector-grouped-a_1.jpg

202740-loc-line-6-piece-hose-segment-grouped-a.jpg

202741-Loc-Line-Flare-Nozzles-grouped-a_1.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greybeard First of all, love your build and reef tank. Amazing. I'm currently using what you linked and I want a different look with two nozzles.

@crabs_mcjones Thank you very much for the info - very informative! It's exactly what I want to do! I am thinking about doing exactly what you posted, however, I'm worried about the pvc resting on the rim of my tank, or having too much contact and causing vibrations/noise. Is vibrations/noise an issue in regards to this? Or is it almost non existent and i shouldn't factor that in as an issue...

Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greybeard First of all, love your build and reef tank. Amazing. I'm currently using what you linked and I want a different look with two nozzles.

@crabs_mcjones Thank you very much for the info - very informative! It's exactly what I want to do! I am thinking about doing exactly what you posted, however, I'm worried about the pvc resting on the rim of my tank, or having too much contact and causing vibrations/noise. Is vibrations/noise an issue in regards to this? Or is it almost non existent and i shouldn't factor that in as an issue...

Thanks!
I used a return tube similar to what Greybeard posted, never had any noise or vibration issues. I just let it rest on the rim of the tank. Most of the vibration is lost on the way up. If you put a small section of rubber tubing between the return pump and the start of the pvc plumbing it'll help soften the vibration. That's what I did on my new build.
sPB1lE5h.jpg

2iHn8Jzh.jpg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to unattach the nozzle and put a splitter on this unit? Op wants to have two nozzles, one to go behind rockwork and the other pointed to the surface to agitate the water.
I don't think so. I hope somebody chimes in that's done it before, because I have the same one and always wanted to split it.
Thank you very much for the info - very informative! It's exactly what I want to do! I am thinking about doing exactly what you posted, however, I'm worried about the pvc resting on the rim of my tank, or having too much contact and causing vibrations/noise. Is vibrations/noise an issue in regards to this? Or is it almost non existent and i shouldn't factor that in as an issue...

Thanks!
I have the one Greybeard has a link to and it rests on the rim of my tank with no vibration at all. There is flexible tubing from the pump to the PVC so that does help in reducing vibrations, might be different if it was all PVC.

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the input. I’ll be attaching a hose like your pictures for sure!

How do you have your return put in your sump? Does it have anything under it to further reduce vibrations? My pump is one off eBay that generally is louder then the high end ones. I’d like to rest it on something and was considering a rubber mat used for hot pots and stuff just not sure how reef safe it is -

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the input. I’ll be attaching a hose like your pictures for sure!

How do you have your return put in your sump? Does it have anything under it to further reduce vibrations? My pump is one off eBay that generally is louder then the high end ones. I’d like to rest it on something and was considering a rubber mat used for hot pots and stuff just not sure how reef safe it is -
Most return pumps come with little rubber feet that attach to the bottom for vibration dampening.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order some 100% silicone mats on amazon... for dish drying etc. Cut it to the size you want. You can put that under the pipe between the tank and the plumbing, or under pumps, etc.

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order some 100% silicone mats on amazon... for dish drying etc. Cut it to the size you want. You can put that under the pipe between the tank and the plumbing, or under pumps, etc.

Yes! Thank you sir!

Most return pumps come with little rubber feet that attach to the bottom for vibration dampening.

Mine feel so cheap and ineffective lol - never buying eBay crap again. First tank so I’m not beating up myself over it too bad haha

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Thank you sir!

Mine feel so cheap and ineffective lol - never buying eBay crap again. First tank so I’m not beating up myself over it too bad haha
I've said it before (somewhere i can't remember where) but every tank is an adventure, one tank could come together flawlessly, and another tank could be an absolute nightmare. We learn from our experiences and adapt on future builds or upgrades :)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go from the pump, through a union... likely a true union ball valve, to a 'T' and from either end of the 'T' to a barb fitting. Short bit of poly or silicone tubing (I like silicone tube), to the barb fittings in each of two hang on CPR or EShopps returns.

If you don't like the CPR or Eshopps returns, a bit of PVC and Loc-Line can do the same, perhaps even a bit better... I did cheap white PVC and krylon, but it'd probably look better if you were to use better grade colored PVC to start with.

Here's a (salt creep encrusted!) shot of the over the edge return on my old cube...

returndetail.jpg

Just some PVC. 2x 90 elbows, and 1x 1" elbow to 3/4" threaded, a loc-line adapter, 'Y', and two flare outlets. Note the drilled hole right below water level to break siphon when the pump is turned off. Everything above and outside was painted black with some krylon... I never trusted it in the tank.

You can see inside the tank in this shot... doesn't show much detail, but you can see the loc-line 'y' fitting and dual outlets.

fts_121516.jpg

And here you can see what the outside looked like, before I painted it black.
Herbie_Upper2.jpg

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said it before (somewhere i can't remember where) but every tank is an adventure, one tank could come together flawlessly, and another tank could be an absolute nightmare. We learn from our experiences and adapt on future builds or upgrades :)

I completely agree. I have a friend who bought all the high-end equipment, however, he cannot get his tank to thrive. I put my tank together with used, old, and MacGyver’d stuff and it’s doing exceptionally well. It’s a matter of understanding how each thing works and that helps you steer in the right direction

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go from the pump, through a union... likely a true union ball valve, to a 'T' and from either end of the 'T' to a barb fitting. Short bit of poly or silicone tubing (I like silicone tube), to the barb fittings in each of two hang on CPR or EShopps returns.

If you don't like the CPR or Eshopps returns, a bit of PVC and Loc-Line can do the same, perhaps even a bit better... I did cheap white PVC and krylon, but it'd probably look better if you were to use better grade colored PVC to start with.

Here's a (salt creep encrusted!) shot of the over the edge return on my old cube...

returndetail.jpg

Just some PVC. 2x 90 elbows, and 1x 1" elbow to 3/4" threaded, a loc-line adapter, 'Y', and two flare outlets. Note the drilled hole right below water level to break siphon when the pump is turned off. Everything above and outside was painted black with some krylon... I never trusted it in the tank.

You can see inside the tank in this shot... doesn't show much detail, but you can see the loc-line 'y' fitting and dual outlets.

fts_121516.jpg

And here you can see what the outside looked like, before I painted it black.
Herbie_Upper2.jpg

This helps a lot - thank you. My only obstacle now is how I'm going to secure my pvc coming up behind the tank with only 4-5" of space to work with lol

OP
OP
Vahanyos

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to thank you all for giving me your feedback. I am comfortably ready to start plumbing my return now.

Cheers!!!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking to do pvc, what you can do is have the pvc tube run up the back of your tank, make a 90, and then put a small section in there to get over your rim, then another 90, then another section of pipe to do down however far you need to go to to your water level, and then another 90 that goes to a threaded fitting. From there you can thread on the loc line fitting. It would essentially rest on the rim of the tank for support. If you need it tied down you could use two sided tape on the backside where it comes up along the backside. My MS Paint skills are rudimentary so bare with me :)

Untitled1234.png

202471-Schedule-80-Elbow-Slip-x-Slip-grouped-b_1.jpg

202483-Schedule-80-Elbow-Slip-x-Thread-grouped-b_1.jpg

Then this would thread into the last 90 with the threads in it, and your loc line would attach to that :)
202748-Loc-Line-Male-NPT-Connector-grouped-a_1.jpg

202740-loc-line-6-piece-hose-segment-grouped-a.jpg

202741-Loc-Line-Flare-Nozzles-grouped-a_1.jpg
What he said. Plus I added 2 small holes below the water line for an anti-syphoning trick.

EmperorVtec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said. Plus I added 2 small holes below the water line for an anti-syphoning trick.
So the safety holes is usually slightly under the water line, which is usually indicated by the internal overflow box right?

I am doing something similar, I am just wondering about getting the PVC to LOCline connector. My return pump is 3/4", so my PVC would be 3/4"? I would like to keep using the same 3/4" LOCline size and simply wanna put a Y with 2 nozzles on both ends.

thanks

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the safety holes is usually slightly under the water line, which is usually indicated by the internal overflow box right?

I am doing something similar, I am just wondering about getting the PVC to LOCline connector. My return pump is 3/4", so my PVC would be 3/4"? I would like to keep using the same 3/4" LOCline size and simply wanna put a Y with 2 nozzles on both ends.

thanks
Yes, the return you want at or below the water table in the tank. I drilled them so the water squirted down. That just helps if for some reason the tank level was below where it should be. It won't squirt up towards lights /out the tank...
make sure you have same thread from the pump to the pvc. Loc line has a threaded ball end to fit to the pvc. You can go the same size or down. They make different sizes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back