Need help Building a 30g rimless

funny718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a 30g rimless tank 24x24x12 3/8thickness getting the glass from Custom Shower Doors, Herculite Glass Doors, Custom Storefronts Manhattan NY, Brooklyn glass doors, glass tops, New York City Shower Doors, Frameless Shower Doors New York City, Shower Doors Installation New York if you guys know of a cheaper place do tell, any way I'm looking for a step by step guide on how to siliconing the glass together, as I'm not sure how to do this is it bottom pane then front back and sides warp around the bottom or is it bottom pane and front back and sides sit on top the of the bottom pane?, beveled edges how many inches should I make it Thanx in advance

mjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently re-sealed a 65 gallon and found a ton of YouTube videos of people doing exactly what you are asking about. You might want to check there, but I would suggest you build a jig or some sort of support structure to aide in the process.

Have you picked out your silicone yet? That can be tricky and I would not recommend anything geared towards consumers.

OP
OP
funny718

funny718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have but on the videos they do it one way and what I reading is another I'm so lost.
I recently re-sealed a 65 gallon and found a ton of YouTube videos of people doing exactly what you are asking about. You might want to check there, but I would suggest you build a jig or some sort of support structure to aide in the process.

Have you picked out your silicone yet? That can be tricky and I would not recommend anything geared towards consumers.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made several tanks (4' x 2' 14" is the biggest)and I always put the side glass on top of the bottom glass. So does the custom tank builder from Miami, I think his name is Jeff Boyd (he owns Chemi-pure). Don't use the silicone from Home Depot or Lowes. Get RTV 101 (I think that's it). I got it from Grangers. Abd be careful not to squeeze all the silicone out of the joints. When Jeff does big glass he adds little dry silicone 'bumps' to hold the heavy side glass up and keep it from squeezing all the silicone out.

OP
OP
funny718

funny718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx Ron so I guess there is different way to skin this cat lol

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my rimless build...

• I would use 3/8" glass (Starphire low iron if it is in the budget) with beveled (annealed) and polished edges.

Starphire3.jpg

Starphire2.jpg

• I would put the bottom in the center and silicone the side panes to the edges of the bottom pane. Not setting on top of the bottom pane. On a trimless tank, this will look much better.

• I would use Momentive RTV-108 (black) or RTV-103 (clear). This can be obtained at Grainger's, but is also readily available on Amazon and other on-line places. I would get the 10.1 ounce tube that fits in a caulking gun. To save the remainder (if there is any) I would recommend getting a DAP plastic caulking tube cap. I have tried everything I could think of and many things I read, but for me, the simple cap works the best for saving unused sealant for later use.

• Tape off your joints with painter's tape. Remove the tape immediately after applying and smoothing out the silicone. This will give you a straight and sharp edge to your siliconed joints. It will look much nicer, prevent a lot of mess and reduces time for clean-up.

Masked_zpsc84b1176.jpg

• As mentioned above, don't squeeze all of the sealant out of the joint.

• After assembling the tank, use painter's tape to lightly hold the structure together and allow it to dry. I also always cover my work surface with wax paper, so the silicone will not stick to to the surface where you assemble the tank.
Tank003.jpg

Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun with your project!

Last edited:
OP
OP
funny718

funny718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much fin this is what I been looking for.
If it were my rimless build...

• I would use 3/8" glass (Starphire low iron if it is in the budget) with beveled (annealed) and polished edges.

Starphire3.jpg

Starphire2.jpg

• I would put the bottom in the center and silicone the side panes to the edges of the bottom pane. Not setting on top of the bottom pane. On a trimless tank, this will look much better.

• I would use Momentive RTV-108 (black) or RTV-103 (clear). This can be obtained at Grainger's, but is also readily available on Amazon and other on-line places. I would get the 10.1 ounce tube that fits in a caulking gun. To save the remainder (if there is any) I would recommend getting a DAP plastic caulking tube cap. I have tried everything I could think of and many things I read, but for me, the simple cap works the best for saving unused sealant for later use.

• Tape off your joints with painter's tape. Remove the tape immediately after applying and smoothing out the silicone. This will give you a straight and sharp edge to your siliconed joints. It will look much nicer, prevent a lot of mess and reduces time for clean-up.

Masked_zpsc84b1176.jpg

• As mentioned above, don't squeeze all of the sealant out of the joint.

• After assembling the tank, use painter's tape to lightly hold the structure together and allow it to dry. I also always cover my work surface with wax paper, so the silicone will not stick to to the surface where you assemble the tank.
Tank003.jpg

Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun with your project!

55g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many resources on YouTube for building a tank. Check it out.... Silicon sealant gap can be controlled. It may make or break your tank....

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest advice grime someone who has done a bit of this on my own. Don't start with ur tank. Get some practice pieces. Getting a tank that will hod together is easy. Having it not look like a 3 year old did it is hard. U can watch YouTube until you turn green. One the silicone starts out the end if the tube it's a whole different game

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest advice grime someone who has done a bit of this on my own. Don't start with ur tank. Get some practice pieces. Getting a tank that will hod together is easy. Having it not look like a 3 year old did it is hard. U can watch YouTube until you turn green. One the silicone starts out the end if the tube it's a whole different game

+1

My first tank looks almost that bad. My newest one looks perfect. It's all about experience and having the right tools and techniques.

OP
OP
funny718

funny718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol good on thanx for all the help guys

55g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above only don't discount You Tube. What silicone gap would one leave between the glass seams as the load increases (20, 40, 55, 110, etc..)? That can't be trial and error with pieces; may get the technique to look nice, but not hold... Is there any data on silicone seal thickness in relation to tank volume out there?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 158 75.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back