Need help deciding between tanks

Ryushei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a nice 20 gallon IM Fusion. Stocked with a small torch, medium size frogspawn, a few sps, a BTA, a few zoa's, and a small maxima clam. Everything is growing great, actually too great, my utter chaos and other zoa's are almost covering most of rocks. I have 2 clowns, a cleaning shrimp, lawnmower blenny, and a diamond back goby. I am also getting more as I have a big shipment incoming from WWC. :D

What I am wanting to do is upgrade to a larger tank. Either a SCA 50 gallon for $695 or a RS Reefer 170 for $950.

Current Equpiment:
Two little fishy reactor (with RS carbon and GFO)
Eshopps nano skimmer
Tunze 3155 ATO
Neptune APEX
Kessil 160we with goose neck
jabao rw-4p

If I do get either tanks, I am going to be upgrading to a MP10 and a vectra s1 pump plus a battery back up just incase but that will be later down the road as I am out of hurricane season (LOL). I want everything to be manage by my Apex.

I really like the SCA because it comes with a skimmer that I could use temporarily until I can get a reef octopus skimmer and also a pump. But I love the design of the Red Sea and of course the name. I am going to get more live rock as well. But in the mean time, I need to decide and start organizing my money to get either one. Any thoughts or suggestions that I can use to either stay with my current tank or your experience on getting either tanks?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience to offer with either thank ... however, looking solely at the footprint of each, I think the better choice would be the SCA.

The reason for the upgrade is because your IM 20g Fusion is already very full and you have more corals on the way.

The RedSea 170 will give you about 6" more space from front to back than your current IM and no additional length. Assuming it's one of their standard 50g's, the SCA will give 10" more space front to back ... plus cost you $250 less.

If you like both tanks and more room is your primary reason for the upgrade, why not go for the maximum additional space, especially since you can get it for less...

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA 66g and I have no complaints about it. The basic stand is just ok, but the tank itself is great.

OP
OP
Ryushei

Ryushei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see where your both coming from but I'm looking at reviews and just videos on the SCA 50G and heard bad things about the stand and the quality of craftsmanship. Unless they are just those percentage that got unlucky then thats fine but is it better to upgrade the stand from the MDF that they include. They also ship through LTL and thats another 40 just to get it off the ground if I directly off their website. And I live in a 2nd story apt. I was also looking into the RSR 250 but thats a lot extra. Even if i go through my LFS which he can get a slight discount on it by buying it from the for me, its still pretty costly around $1050~. If I do get the SCA 50G is my kesssil enough to power it?

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the SCA 66, with their new rustic stands that they unveiled at RAP CA. They have pictures of them online on a different board, and they are quite nice from what I could see while I was there. Its $150 more for the nicer stand but worth it. I was looking at the Red Sea as well as I love the aesthetic, but the price difference to get a similar system is insane, plus I like the SCA sump better.

OP
OP
Ryushei

Ryushei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you PM me the link of the videos and any info you have regarding the 66G? because that's a 300~ price difference.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems if you are upgrading, you should get as much as you can so you don't have to upgrade any time soon. You might spend a bit more now but you'll save in the long run. 10 inches isn't that much more. I have the rms c250 and I can see that I'll have this tank filled all too soon. I'm already looking ahead to at least a 4 foot or 6 footer. If you go an all in one, you save in extra equipment or you can upgrade later. I have no complaints with my c250

OP
OP
Ryushei

Ryushei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I am thinking about that but I am only staying maybe another 3 years at my current place and then moving back home so it needs to be limited on size. I think 50 gallon is fine and as long as i dont go over board on buying more corals and letting my current ones grow and start fragging, I can keep it maintain. I do want one with a sump so i can upgrade bc who doesnt like having the latest tech :D

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50 gallon had a nice sump as well, my hubby just doesn't like cubes which is why we ended up looking at the 66 gallon. The nice thing is those stands are available for the 50 cubes as well. I sent you a PM with some links.

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my stand for my 90gal sca I don’t feel the craftsmanship was bad granted I do feel the door hinges need to be used with bigger screws and I wish it came with door handles but nothing I couldn’t do myself

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back