Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was why I asked about adding a pair of Pajamas instead of one. Is there strength in numbers in a case like this? Also will the Pajamas do better as a pair than a solo act?
Currently the Dottyback is behaving with the 2 Gladiators and the much smaller Blenny so I am hopeful it will work.
If the dottyback is aggressive then it won't matter if there is one or more cardinals.

PJ cardinals will do equally well singly, as a pr, or as a group.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish should be fine, though adding another tang to an existing powder brown may not go so well. Some powder browns can be really aggressive.

Fairy, flasher, and small Halichoeres wrasse species can be added to your fish list.

Those fish should all be fine. And the order doesn't matter too much, just do the tangs last.

A melanurus or yellow coris wrasse would be a better choice than sixline. So would any fairy or flasher wrasses.

Mono argentus get big. Too big and active for that size tank.

Zebra dartfish will do better as a group rather than a pr.

As long as cleaner or blood shrimp are in the tank before the longnose hawk they should be fine.

Would this be over my bio load or potentially room for a a few more?

Also you mentioned tang last. Now
Those fish should be fine, though adding another tang to an existing powder brown may not go so well. Some powder browns can be really aggressive.

Fairy, flasher, and small Halichoeres wrasse species can be added to your fish list.

Those fish should all be fine. And the order doesn't matter too much, just do the tangs last.

A melanurus or yellow coris wrasse would be a better choice than sixline. So would any fairy or flasher wrasses.

Mono argentus get big. Too big and active for that size tank.

Zebra dartfish will do better as a group rather than a pr.

As long as cleaner or blood shrimp are in the tank before the longnose hawk they should be fine.

On the waterbox would that be pushing the bioload.for gallons or potentially add a few more? Also the kole or squaretail bristletooth tang which is less aggressive potentially also since I havent seen them in perso . Own opinion. Which looks better. I know both dark in color

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be over my bio load or potentially room for a a few more?

Also you mentioned tang last. Now

On the waterbox would that be pushing the bioload.for gallons or potentially add a few more? Also the kole or squaretail bristletooth tang which is less aggressive potentially also since I havent seen them in perso . Own opinion. Which looks better. I know both dark in color
Each tank's bioload capacity is different. Your tank will tell you if you are at capacity. Just add slowly and test often.

My preference are the looks of the kole tang over the looks of the squaretail bristletooth. Even though this genus is less aggressive than other tangs, they can still be fairly assertive.

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have just finished cycling my tank and I was hoping I could get some help with picking out my first fish for a 30 G cube. Which of these fish would be hardiest for a first time fishkeeper?

Pajama Cardinal
Azure Damsel
Bristletail Filefish
Chalk Basslet
Lyretail Anthias (single)

CaptainsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g with only a fuzzy dwarf lion and a clown fish. Just got a Pygmy Angel. Any words of wisdom?

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’ll be putting back the fish I treated for ich in my 92 gallon tank on the 7th. I have a 32g fuge lit by a maxspect razor 60w. Chaeto grows extremely well. Since the beginning of the fallow period I have seen a lot of ‘bugs’ multiply and they are now covering the glass and rocks. I am thinking of a mandarin fish and will be giving back my sand sifter to the lfs to preserve pod population. I have read countless posts and articles about these finicky eaters & I am still on the fence as a result. I don’t want to be spending 50$ a month just to feed it. Can a seeded 32g fuge provide enough pods on the long term? This will be the last decisive posts I’ll be reading on this topic... Hopefully mandarin owners will chime in. Thanks!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A meal to whom? The clown is considerably bigger than the lion and they've been together for 6 months already
What species of clown do you have? The only clown that I would consider putting with a lion would be a maroon clown because lions can and will eat fish that are almost as big as themselves

Last edited:

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have just finished cycling my tank and I was hoping I could get some help with picking out my first fish for a 30 G cube. Which of these fish would be hardiest for a first time fishkeeper?

Pajama Cardinal
Azure Damsel
Bristletail Filefish
Chalk Basslet
Pajama cardinal and azure damsel shouldn’t give you any trouble in terms of hardiness and a chalk basslet would do fine. Definitely do not put a lyretail anthias in anything less than a 120 gallon though.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’ll be putting back the fish I treated for ich in my 92 gallon tank on the 7th. I have a 32g fuge lit by a maxspect razor 60w. Chaeto grows extremely well. Since the beginning of the fallow period I have seen a lot of ‘bugs’ multiply and they are now covering the glass and rocks. I am thinking of a mandarin fish and will be giving back my sand sifter to the lfs to preserve pod population. I have read countless posts and articles about these finicky eaters & I am still on the fence as a result. I don’t want to be spending 50$ a month just to feed it. Can a seeded 32g fuge provide enough pods on the long term? This will be the last decisive posts I’ll be reading on this topic... Hopefully mandarin owners will chime in. Thanks!
A total water volume of 124 g should provide enough pods for a mandarin, but make absolutely sure there isn’t another fish that will compete with it for food, because it will outcompete the mandarin

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A total water volume of 124 g should provide enough pods for a mandarin, but make absolutely sure there isn’t another fish that will compete with it for food, because it will outcompete the mandarin
Great :) I’m going to base livestock choices around this fish. Really wanting to make the best out of a very painfully long and depressing fallow period.

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pajama cardinal and azure damsel shouldn’t give you any trouble in terms of hardiness and a chalk basslet would do fine. Definitely do not put a lyretail anthias in anything less than a 120 gallon though.
actually went with the bristletail filefish, the one at the store approached the front of the tank every time people came near it and I love it’s personality. Got him eating pellets right off the bat too, feeding him twice a day at the moment, morning and night.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pajama Cardinal
Azure Damsel
Bristletail Filefish
Chalk Basslet
The anthias would like a larger tank. Of the others, they are all fairly hardy, but the cardinal and filefish are more peaceful, so will present less problems when adding future fish.
I have a 150g with only a fuzzy dwarf lion and a clown fish. Just got a Pygmy Angel. Any words of wisdom?
I would just be wary of the angel nipping at the lion's fins.
As long as you don't have other pod eaters, the mandarin should be just fine.
The clown will almost certainly become a meal.
Not necessarily.

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Type: ‘nemo gets eaten by lionfish’ on YouTube. Disturbing video. I wouldn’t risk mine with a lion.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Type: ‘nemo gets eaten by lionfish’ on YouTube. Disturbing video. I wouldn’t risk mine with a lion.
Those videos are of volitans lions, those are in the genus of large lionfish, dwarf lions are smaller and are usually fine with a full grown clown.

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those videos are of volitans lions, those are in the genus of large lionfish, dwarf lions are smaller and are usually fine with a full grown clown.
I’m positive it is a dwarf fuzzy lion. They do grow up to 7 inches. A regular 3inch clown would make a nice meal. Anyway I’ve always been interested in dwarf lionfish but after researching figured I’d wait and build a separate system for them.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m positive it is a dwarf fuzzy lion. They do grow up to 7 inches. A regular 3inch clown would make a nice meal. Anyway I’ve always been interested in dwarf lionfish but after researching figured I’d wait and build a separate system for them.
Link the video. I went through about 30 videos of nemo gets eaten by a lionfish, and they wereall volitans.

Dendrochirus species mouths don't open proportionally as wide as Pterois species. Pterois can swallow something the size of their own body, Dendrochirus can't. A Dendro can easily eat a juvenile clown, but not a full-grown one.

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link the video. I went through about 30 videos of nemo gets eaten by a lionfish, and they wereall volitans.

Dendrochirus species mouths don't open proportionally as wide as Pterois species. Pterois can swallow something the size of their own body, Dendrochirus can't. A Dendro can easily eat a juvenile clown, but not a full-grown one.
Well I don’t really mind what people do with their tanks. I just abide by the law of Murphy. A 5+ inch dwarf lionfish can certainly eat nemo. This is what discourages me in this hobby. There is no straight answer. If the hobbyist is willing to risk it is all that will matter in the end. We all basically learn from our own mistakes regardless of the information we pick up online. It’s always opinion rather than information. I don’t know how to link the video on here but the title is exactly as previously stated. I love dwarf lionfish but can’t get one as I rather play it safe.

On another note there is something I can link that I will be taking a part in. Hoping it spurs some interest in you guys. https://4ocean.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi...ZkTcg-xUBSJvtua0WAMBNilItuAfiQF0aAjhREALw_wcB
Shameless plug I know.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t really mind what people do with their tanks. I just abide by the law of Murphy. A 5+ inch dwarf lionfish can certainly eat nemo. This is what discourages me in this hobby. There is no straight answer. If the hobbyist is willing to risk it is all that will matter in the end. We all basically learn from our own mistakes regardless of the information we pick up online. It’s always opinion rather than information. I don’t know how to link the video on here but the title is exactly as previously stated. I love dwarf lionfish but can’t get one as I rather play it safe.
If it's that titled video it is a volitans..

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back