Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's that titled video it is a volitans..
Allright then I’ll trust you on this. I just read a lot of opinions on adding dwarf lionfish in a community tank about a year and a half ago and decided it was not worth the risk based on other people’s experiences and opinions. These are very interesting fish and I came close to getting one.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guessing it's this one..

Yup, that's a volitans.

Volitans mouths open wider than Dendrochirus, so a juvenile 7" volitans can eat something larger than a 7" full grown fuzzy dwarf. Plus the clown in that video is not full-grown either.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll still trust my experience over that guide, especially since they also say firefish and sixline wrasses are compatible, when they aren't...
http://www.marinecompatibilityguide.com/nemateleotrismagnifica/pseudocheilinushexataenia
I know it drives me nuts. I also read a firefish will jump out of a tank and countless posts saying theirs do just fine. I opted not to get one. Law of Murphy... like quarantining. Everything was going well in my tank until I added a fish on impulse because I didn’t want it to feel cramped. Yet there are still people advocating not to quarantine based on a ‘children eating mud by age 3 to be healthy’ principle.

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If fish had feelings beyond the most basic survival based ones I’d get a dwarf lionfish. But what I’ve read is they’ll eat anything that fits in their mouths. As it grows it May get dangerous. His once best pal Nemo better be on its toes. I’d be afraid to go out of town with one in my tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it drives me nuts. I also read a firefish will jump out of a tank and countless posts saying theirs do just fine. I opted not to get one. Law of Murphy... like quarantining. Everything was going well in my tank until I added a fish on impulse because I didn’t want it to feel cramped. Yet there are still people advocating not to quarantine based on a ‘children eating mud by age 3 to be healthy’ principle.
If you were truly basing it on Murphy's law you would either have your tank covered or not have any fish, as all fish can jump.

Sure, there are always exceptions, but basing decisions off of their likely/unlikely chances of happening usually provides consistent results.
If fish had feelings beyond the most basic survival based ones I’d get a dwarf lionfish. But what I’ve read is they’ll eat anything that fits in their mouths. As it grows it May get dangerous. His once best pal Nemo better be on its toes. I’d be afraid to go out of town with one in my tank.
But what I've been trying to say is that a fuzzy dwarf's mouth doesn't open wide enough to accommodate a full grown clown.

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a couple of red scooter blennies but not sure if they will get out competed by some of the other fish.

Tank 220 6 foot long, about 200 lbs of live rock with some coral and a 75 gallon sump/fuge. Tank has been up for about 5 years

Generally I would say it should be able to support a couple of scooters but I also have a yellow coris wrasse, CBB, and 2 yellow head sleeper gobies that make my sand bed look like a mine field every couple of months.

Thoughts on whether I could make it work?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a couple of red scooter blennies but not sure if they will get out competed by some of the other fish.

Tank 220 6 foot long, about 200 lbs of live rock with some coral and a 75 gallon sump/fuge. Tank has been up for about 5 years

Generally I would say it should be able to support a couple of scooters but I also have a yellow coris wrasse, CBB, and 2 yellow head sleeper gobies that make my sand bed look like a mine field every couple of months.

Thoughts on whether I could make it work?
It should be able to support 1 red scooter. 2 may be pushing it.

RoyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a red sea reefer 250 with the following fish.
1 Yellow wrasse
1 Sea fighter wrasse
1 Blue reef chromis
1 Chalk Bass
1 Royal Gramma
1 Blue Sapphire Damselfish
Would a Green or Blue/Green Chromis be compatable?

Nyx101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were truly basing it on Murphy's law you would either have your tank covered or not have any fish, as all fish can jump.

Sure, there are always exceptions, but basing decisions off of their likely/unlikely chances of happening usually provides consistent results.

But what I've been trying to say is that a fuzzy dwarf's mouth doesn't open wide enough to accommodate a full grown clown.
I’d love to cover my tank but am afraid I lack the skills to build a decent looking screen top. You may be right about the lionfish but I’m sure you’re aware that there’s about as many people to agree & to disagree with that statement else I would have gotten one already.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a red sea reefer 250 with the following fish.
1 Yellow wrasse
1 Sea fighter wrasse
1 Blue reef chromis
1 Chalk Bass
1 Royal Gramma
1 Blue Sapphire Damselfish
Would a Green or Blue/Green Chromis be compatable?
I would not recommend one for this tank with these fish.
I’d love to cover my tank but am afraid I lack the skills to build a decent looking screen top. You may be right about the lionfish but I’m sure you’re aware that there’s about as many people to agree & to disagree with that statement else I would have gotten one already.
But who are agreeing and who are disagreeing with how it will work? Those with specific with those species together or those that are basing a fuzzy dwarf's behavior off of a volitan's behavior?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! local store has 1-1.5 one for $35. it’s been there for over a week, eating...i know you said it will be fine with longnose hawk and bellus angel so i might try. thx!!!

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
130g

Will engineer goby grow large enough to eat one of these guys? While I plan to feed it well, I don’t want to rely on that to prevent predation.

Watchman Goby
Yellowtail Damsel
Percula clownfish
Neon Blue Goby
Harptail blenny
Royal Gramma
Lyretail Anthias

Any advise would be much appreciated :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
130g

Will engineer goby grow large enough to eat one of these guys? While I plan to feed it well, I don’t want to rely on that to prevent predation.

Watchman Goby
Yellowtail Damsel
Percula clownfish
Neon Blue Goby
Harptail blenny
Royal Gramma
Lyretail Anthias

Any advise would be much appreciated :)
The only one that it would get big enough to eat would be the neon goby, but most fish instinctively "know" not to eat them, but it can still happen.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back