Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, pretty simple question here, but I have a 54 gallon display tank with a 11 gallon sump. New tank, but I really want a Yellow Tang and a Flame Angel, are either of these fish realsitic for my tank? I've heard answers both ways on the Tang, and the Flame seems to be questionable as well, both in terms of my tank size and being reef compatible.
Hey Kaludar, I think you and I might have the same system. I've been operating my Red Sea Reefer 250 for 4 years. Top to bottom I have a yellow tang, coral beauty, two clownfish, yellow clown goby, sunburst anthias, pintail wrasse and a diamond goby. For me personally, I have felt a bit of struggle keeping my yellow tang healthy at times and I do honestly feel like his overall health has been compromised being kept in a relatively small display. For that reason I would recommend not getting a yellow tang. As for the Dwarf angel, I would do your best to source one from a shop that has a good history of reef safe behavior with their flame angels and chances are you should be okay. Remember that most reef animals are opportunists and if they're well fed then they won't have any reason to go for less appetizing food. Good luck!

Kaludar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kaludar, I think you and I might have the same system. I've been operating my Red Sea Reefer 250 for 4 years. Top to bottom I have a yellow tang, coral beauty, two clownfish, yellow clown goby, sunburst anthias, pintail wrasse and a diamond goby. For me personally, I have felt a bit of struggle keeping my yellow tang healthy at times and I do honestly feel like his overall health has been compromised being kept in a relatively small display. For that reason I would recommend not getting a yellow tang. As for the Dwarf angel, I would do your best to source one from a shop that has a good history of reef safe behavior with their flame angels and chances are you should be okay. Remember that most reef animals are opportunists and if they're well fed then they won't have any reason to go for less appetizing food. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, I kinda thought as much regarding the Tang, I guess I’ll hold off on that. How big has yours gotten?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've been working on a stocking list for my new 180(72×24×24) and this is what we've come up with. The tank will be mixed reef. I'm not sure there will be room for everything here but I think they should be ok together if added properly.

2 occ clowns
Blue tang
Purple tang
2 watenabei angel
3 lyretail anthias
3 carpenters flasher wrasse
Magnificent foxface
Orchid dottyback
Black neon dottyback
Sailfin blenny
Diamond watchman goby
Flame angel

I plan to add the tangs together, the dottys together and multiples of the same type of fish together. I know it will be a while before the tank can support the blenny and goby so they will come much later and I plan to add the flame angel last. The order to add the rest is up for suggestions. What do you guys think?
It looks mostly fine. I would advise not doing 3 carpenter flasher wrasses. You can do 3 flasher wrasses, but not 3 of the same species.
Hi all, pretty simple question here, but I have a 54 gallon display tank with a 11 gallon sump. New tank, but I really want a Yellow Tang and a Flame Angel, are either of these fish realsitic for my tank? I've heard answers both ways on the Tang, and the Flame seems to be questionable as well, both in terms of my tank size and being reef compatible.
Yellow tangs need more space than a 54g.

The tank is fine size-wise for the flame angel. However, it may not be reef-safe. Fleshy LPS, zoas, and clams are among the most likely to be picked at.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks mostly fine. I would advise not doing 3 carpenter flasher wrasses. You can do 3 flasher wrasses, but not 3 of the same species.

Yellow tangs need more space than a 54g.

The tank is fine size-wise for the flame angel. However, it may not be reef-safe. Fleshy LPS, zoas, and clams are among the most likely to be picked at.

Ok, what I read seemed to imply that it was good to have a single male with multiple females. Is there a different flasher that works well that way or did I just misunderstand? Also, any advice on what order to add them?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what I read seemed to imply that it was good to have a single male with multiple females. Is there a different flasher that works well that way or did I just misunderstand? Also, any advice on what order to add them?
Almost always female flashers transition to males and multiple males of the same species almost always leads to the demise of all but one male.

Many of the "books" say that a male with a few females works because they are found in large mixed groups in the wild, but it just doesn't work in captivity.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost always female flashers transition to males and multiple males of the same species almost always leads to the demise of all but one male.

Many of the "books" say that a male with a few females works because they are found in large mixed groups in the wild, but it just doesn't work in captivity.

Good to know, thanks. I assume the anthias are good in a trio since you didn't mention them?

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 Gallon Mixed Reef, very open concept with bare bottom

Existing Stock:
2 Clowns
2 Chromis
1 Firefish
1 cardinal
1 Kole Tang

Adds:
Suggestion?
Foxface?
Wrasses?

I have tons of. Bubble algae. Was thinking the foxface would be good to keep that in check. kole Tang wants nothing to do with algae. Loves pellets.

Just upgraded and it seems empty still.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 Gallon Mixed Reef, very open concept with bare bottom

Existing Stock:
2 Clowns
2 Chromis
1 Firefish
1 cardinal
1 Kole Tang

Adds:
Suggestion?
Foxface?
Wrasses?

I have tons of. Bubble algae. Was thinking the foxface would be good to keep that in check. kole Tang wants nothing to do with algae. Loves pellets.

Just upgraded and it seems empty still.
Emerald crabs are better at keeping bubble algae in check.

Fairy and flasher wrasses would be great. So would a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, or a midas blenny or royal gramma.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been through 25 emerald crabs. Things won’t touch it
If they won't touch it, then a foxface won't. Feed less and skip feeding one day a week. The emeralds should start to make a dent.

LabradorGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1

Thank you for offering to help! I currently have a 120 gal teef tank with a Kenya tree, mushrooms and hammer corals. I have the following fish now: yellow watchman goby, pink spot goby, firefish, 3 chromis, Foxface Lo and a variety of inverts for CuC. I’d like to add these to finishing stocking the tank. Is this too many fish? Will they all be safe and happy together? I want them to thrive, not just survive.

Fish Wish List
  1. Royal Gramma
  2. Cardinal Fish x 2
  3. Golden Midas Blenny
  4. Black Clowns x 2
  5. Oscellaris Clowns x 2
  6. Red Head Solo Fairy Wrasse
I welcome your suggestions on fish to add or replace as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to advise.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast I dropped 2 of the flashers and added a pink margin which I think will work based on the stickied wrasse thread.

2 occ clowns
Blue tang
Purple tang
2 watenabei angel
3 lyretail anthias
carpenters flasher wrasse
Pink margin fairy wrasse
Magnificent foxface
Orchid dottyback
Black neon dottyback
Sailfin blenny
Diamond watchman goby
Flame angel

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for offering to help! I currently have a 120 gal teef tank with a Kenya tree, mushrooms and hammer corals. I have the following fish now: yellow watchman goby, pink spot goby, firefish, 3 chromis, Foxface Lo and a variety of inverts for CuC. I’d like to add these to finishing stocking the tank. Is this too many fish? Will they all be safe and happy together? I want them to thrive, not just survive.

Fish Wish List
  1. Royal Gramma
  2. Cardinal Fish x 2
  3. Golden Midas Blenny
  4. Black Clowns x 2
  5. Oscellaris Clowns x 2
  6. Red Head Solo Fairy Wrasse
I welcome your suggestions on fish to add or replace as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to advise.
That list should work.
@eatbreakfast I dropped 2 of the flashers and added a pink margin which I think will work based on the stickied wrasse thread.

2 occ clowns
Blue tang
Purple tang
2 watenabei angel
3 lyretail anthias
carpenters flasher wrasse
Pink margin fairy wrasse
Magnificent foxface
Orchid dottyback
Black neon dottyback
Sailfin blenny
Diamond watchman goby
Flame angel
Looks good, just be sure to add the wrasses before the dottybacks.

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just set up a new saltwater FOWLR Tank in January. I have been slowly adding fish. I have an invertebrate cleanup crew and hope to one day add coral. So all fish should be coral safe. I been using mostly fish from Live Aquaria and been happy.

So I need some ideas. My wife wants some larger fish. The tank is 125 gallon with about 100 pounds if live rock.

I have:
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
2 yellow tail damsels
2 clowns
Goby
Royal gramma
Dwarf Flame angel
2 banded shrimp
Hermit crabs green crabs and snails

Any suggests greatly appreciated

Michael

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just set up a new saltwater FOWLR Tank in January. I have been slowly adding fish. I have an invertebrate cleanup crew and hope to one day add coral. So all fish should be coral safe. I been using mostly fish from Live Aquaria and been happy.

So I need some ideas. My wife wants some larger fish. The tank is 125 gallon with about 100 pounds if live rock.

I have:
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang
2 yellow tail damsels
2 clowns
Goby
Royal gramma
Dwarf Flame angel
2 banded shrimp
Hermit crabs green crabs and snails

Any suggests greatly appreciated

Michael
Be mindful that your flame angel may nip corals when you start adding them.

Some larger appropriate fish include: pyramid butterfly, a Genicanthus angel, mono, bluethroat trigger.

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a Reefer 350 with the following inhabitants

Flame Angel
Midas Blenny
Royal Gramma
Blue and Yellow Damsel
2 bonded Black Storms
2 bonded yellow watchmen gobies and pistol shrimp

I am thinking of adding 3 wrasses.
Mystery
McCoskers
And Salon fairy
Will these work? Any other suggestions? This is a mixed reef and yes the flame has been a model citizen so far.

Cosmo254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my BioCube32, I have 1 Clown, 1 Green Chrom, 1 TailSpot Blenny and 1 yellow watchman Goby. 2 Cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp and 1 red fire shrimp. 1 Emerald Crab and a few hermit crabs and snails. I have a lot of animated corals.
What I'm thinking of adding is 1 trigger Shrimp as my Goby acts like he is looking for something that isn't there and it might be a trigger shrimp.
My main worry is my rocks are not clued together and I know the trigger shrimp is constantly digging holes and I worry it might topple the rocks and coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back