Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

The Real 118

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all damsels are the aggressive demon-spawn that we think of that dominoes are. Fusilier damsels behave like an anthias, and there are some Chrysiptera species, such as springeri, azure, and talbots that better behaved.

They should be fine. 120g is borderline for a regal, but doable. And regals are usually not as aggressive as other large angel species.

Total system volume, but don't forget that rocks displace water.

Potters angels may nip corals.

75g is a little small for a Scotts fairy. They are very active. They also tend to lose their bright colors in captivity.

I would not add other fish. 20 fish for a 75g is pretty heavily stocked, and if multiple pairs form there won't be much space for other fish.

Neon goby, stigmatura blenny, firefish, clown goby, pike blenny, yashe haze goby are a few choices.

Good advice, but the post you are answering is from 2015, so that ship may have already sailed...
Thank you

StevesReefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 250. I will be setting it up in the next couple months. I realize the size of the tank limits me on a lot of cool fish. (tangs mostly) I am wondering if there is any merit to a Rainford's Goby, or Old Glory, being an alternative to tangs as far as there Hair algae eating traits? Will it be easy to keep and get along with others well? I was thinking Clowns ,Blennies, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse. Maybe another compatible Goby. Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 250. I will be setting it up in the next couple months. I realize the size of the tank limits me on a lot of cool fish. (tangs mostly) I am wondering if there is any merit to a Rainford's Goby, or Old Glory, being an alternative to tangs as far as there Hair algae eating traits? Will it be easy to keep and get along with others well? I was thinking Clowns ,Blennies, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse. Maybe another compatible Goby. Thanks
Rainsford gobies will ignore just about all tankmates. They eat some air algea, but not voraciously.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of ocellaris in my tank along with 22 other peaceful fish. No issues amongst the fish.

In my tank I have an H Magnifica in the upper right corner, an LTA in the sand bed underneath it, and on the upper fat left I have 2 softball size BTA’s

My 2 clowns have zero interest in the nems.

My question is, can I add any more ocellaris or any other type of clown fish?

Thanks

ebdf84968f80cbc7c79a89e4c17d6d0b.jpg

baa7baed728122e6b22850345d63deab.jpg

3eae20aacecc9767a8e122dfd7889a7a.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of ocellaris in my tank along with 22 other peaceful fish. No issues amongst the fish.

In my tank I have an H Magnifica in the upper right corner, an LTA in the sand bed underneath it, and on the upper fat left I have 2 softball size BTA’s

My 2 clowns have zero interest in the nems.

My question is, can I add any more ocellaris or any other type of clown fish?

Thanks

ebdf84968f80cbc7c79a89e4c17d6d0b.jpg

baa7baed728122e6b22850345d63deab.jpg

3eae20aacecc9767a8e122dfd7889a7a.jpg
Maybe/maybe not. I know thats a terrible answer, but some clowns have zero tolerance for other clowns, some can be easy going. If you were to try, I would suggest something within the complex, but with a different color/pattern.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe/maybe not. I know thats a terrible answer, but some clowns have zero tolerance for other clowns, some can be easy going. If you were to try, I would suggest something within the complex, but with a different color/pattern.

Ok. I appreciate your real answers. So I would like to add 3 small black and white ocellaris to my 2 “normal” ocellaris.

I’m still going to give my current pair a bit longer, but at least I know for when opportunity knocks.

Thanks @eatbreakfast

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainsford gobies will ignore just about all tankmates. They eat some air algea, but not voraciously.

I have the same original question. Looking for something other than tang for algie control in my 75G 48 inch. Given the response am I to assume there aren't many other options for 'voracious' consumption of algae?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same original question. Looking for something other than tang for algie control in my 75G 48 inch. Given the response am I to assume there aren't many other options for 'voracious' consumption of algae?
Starry and algae blennies would work.

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I have a 45 gallon that's been running for 3 months. Been considering adding a Flame Angel from my LFS, it looks healthy and is somewhat active but it didn't eat like I expected and I've seen him fed a couple of times. I have 2 clowns and they go crazy before I can get the hood up and devour food within a few seconds. The angel never seems very interested in the New Life spectrum pellets it was being fed at all and just kinda nibbled on them, spitting out all but one both times. So I have a couple of questions, is 3 months too early to add a Flame Angel and should they eat like my clowns or is that behavior normal for them?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I have a 45 gallon that's been running for 3 months. Been considering adding a Flame Angel from my LFS, it looks healthy and is somewhat active but it didn't eat like I expected and I've seen him fed a couple of times. I have 2 clowns and they go crazy before I can get the hood up and devour food within a few seconds. The angel never seems very interested in the New Life spectrum pellets it was being fed at all and just kinda nibbled on them, spitting out all but one both times. So I have a couple of questions, is 3 months too early to add a Flame Angel and should they eat like my clowns or is that behavior normal for them?
45g is borderline for a flame angel. Let the tank mature.

Many saltwater fish don't immediately take to pellets. Try feeding frozen for a little while for picky eaters.

Floridian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 month old 210 DT, started with live sand, live rock and rodi h2o, with several coral colonies and frags. I have 2 clowns, 3 Chromis, coral beauty, yellow headed sleeper goby, magnificent fox face, bi color angel and powder brown tang. Thinking about a pack or anthias, red spotted blenny, a second and final tang(would be last fish added). I’m in no rush, but what else should I consider adding?

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok my waterbox 130.4 should be here i think NEXT tuesday i hope. just trying to shop for fish ideas. I came up with a list of fish that i searched on sites listed as beginners and some i picked because it says peaceful and reef safe as im doing a mixed reef. hopefully SPS on top half.

Now remember im gonna be tussling with the Other half. shes gonna want the finding nemo fish. I already fought off the blue hippo with my tank is way to small and they will for sure bring disease to the tank and wipe everything out.. i think that worked for that fish. the clowns ill have to get her. They are on the list. But i was going to go with a 3 ft tank but i know she wouldn't have any interest in the aquarium since that limits on fish. i bend over backyards and decided to get the 4 ft tank. because i know it opens up the fish slightly. and i will later regret not getting the 4ft. so the waterbox 130.4 48x24x23 is what is on the way. I'm trying to get all sort of colors swimming around thats mainly how i picked the list. I know wrasses swim in and out all day. I had a sixline 10 years ago. I loved it but i've read they are *****s so im convincing myself don't do it and just for Caution. and since shes going to want a tang. probably a yellow since its kind of a known fish if u have saltwater. i know are aggressive. So i got my work cut out to convince the other half to forget about it. but id really want us to have a tang. so for research and only having the room i have i chose two. as possibilities. Yes i understand i only have a 48x24x23 tank.

also as far as what order to put into the tank or group order. i have no idea. tell me what you all think and if you have add-ons or suggestions. add-ons only if you feel the tank can handle more than that. i definitely do not want to order do it.

Royal Gramma Basslet
Lawnmower Blenny
two clownfish
Squaretail Bristletooth Tang or Kole Tang
Carpenters flasher Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse
Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
firefish
Red Stop Light Cardinalfish

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but would really love some input. I have a Red Sea 425xl (88 gallon display) that will be a mixed reef and I am working through a stocking list.
  • Do any of the fish below have a strong potential to not work with each other?
  • Any substitutions or recommendations of other neat fish?
  • What order should I target to stock (any fish need to be earlier vs later in the stocking order)?
  • Any shrimp recommendations? The long nose hawkfish could pose a challenge I realize.
Current family favorites:
  • Flame angel - realize may not be reef safe, but we really like them
  • wrasse - what recommendation?
  • Banggai cardinalfish (2)
  • Royal gramma
  • clown (2)
  • Lyretail anthias or Mono Argentus - would like something that schools and swims around a lot
  • Yellow watchmen goby
  • Purple firefish
  • Long nose hawk fish - really like the personality
Other fish we like:
  • Chalk basslet - max3 inch (can add multiple)
  • Zebra barred dartfish - pairs work well
Lots of questions as you can tell from the above. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 month old 210 DT, started with live sand, live rock and rodi h2o, with several coral colonies and frags. I have 2 clowns, 3 Chromis, coral beauty, yellow headed sleeper goby, magnificent fox face, bi color angel and powder brown tang. Thinking about a pack or anthias, red spotted blenny, a second and final tang(would be last fish added). I’m in no rush, but what else should I consider adding?
Those fish should be fine, though adding another tang to an existing powder brown may not go so well. Some powder browns can be really aggressive.

Fairy, flasher, and small Halichoeres wrasse species can be added to your fish list.
ok my waterbox 130.4 should be here i think NEXT tuesday i hope. just trying to shop for fish ideas. I came up with a list of fish that i searched on sites listed as beginners and some i picked because it says peaceful and reef safe as im doing a mixed reef. hopefully SPS on top half.

Now remember im gonna be tussling with the Other half. shes gonna want the finding nemo fish. I already fought off the blue hippo with my tank is way to small and they will for sure bring disease to the tank and wipe everything out.. i think that worked for that fish. the clowns ill have to get her. They are on the list. But i was going to go with a 3 ft tank but i know she wouldn't have any interest in the aquarium since that limits on fish. i bend over backyards and decided to get the 4 ft tank. because i know it opens up the fish slightly. and i will later regret not getting the 4ft. so the waterbox 130.4 48x24x23 is what is on the way. I'm trying to get all sort of colors swimming around thats mainly how i picked the list. I know wrasses swim in and out all day. I had a sixline 10 years ago. I loved it but i've read they are *****s so im convincing myself don't do it and just for Caution. and since shes going to want a tang. probably a yellow since its kind of a known fish if u have saltwater. i know are aggressive. So i got my work cut out to convince the other half to forget about it. but id really want us to have a tang. so for research and only having the room i have i chose two. as possibilities. Yes i understand i only have a 48x24x23 tank.

also as far as what order to put into the tank or group order. i have no idea. tell me what you all think and if you have add-ons or suggestions. add-ons only if you feel the tank can handle more than that. i definitely do not want to order do it.

Royal Gramma Basslet
Lawnmower Blenny
two clownfish
Squaretail Bristletooth Tang or Kole Tang
Carpenters flasher Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse
Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
firefish
Red Stop Light Cardinalfish
Those fish should all be fine. And the order doesn't matter too much, just do the tangs last.
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but would really love some input. I have a Red Sea 425xl (88 gallon display) that will be a mixed reef and I am working through a stocking list.
  • Do any of the fish below have a strong potential to not work with each other?
  • Any substitutions or recommendations of other neat fish?
  • What order should I target to stock (any fish need to be earlier vs later in the stocking order)?
  • Any shrimp recommendations? The long nose hawkfish could pose a challenge I realize.
Current family favorites:
  • Flame angel - realize may not be reef safe, but we really like them
  • wrasse - what recommendation?
  • Banggai cardinalfish (2)
  • Royal gramma
  • clown (2)
  • Lyretail anthias or Mono Argentus - would like something that schools and swims around a lot
  • Yellow watchmen goby
  • Purple firefish
  • Long nose hawk fish - really like the personality
Other fish we like:
  • Chalk basslet - max3 inch (can add multiple)
  • Zebra barred dartfish - pairs work well
Lots of questions as you can tell from the above. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
A melanurus or yellow coris wrasse would be a better choice than sixline. So would any fairy or flasher wrasses.

Mono argentus get big. Too big and active for that size tank.

Zebra dartfish will do better as a group rather than a pr.

As long as cleaner or blood shrimp are in the tank before the longnose hawk they should be fine.

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish should be fine, though adding another tang to an existing powder brown may not go so well. Some powder browns can be really aggressive.

Fairy, flasher, and small Halichoeres wrasse species can be added to your fish list.

Those fish should all be fine. And the order doesn't matter too much, just do the tangs last.

A melanurus or yellow coris wrasse would be a better choice than sixline. So would any fairy or flasher wrasses.

Mono argentus get big. Too big and active for that size tank.

Zebra dartfish will do better as a group rather than a pr.

As long as cleaner or blood shrimp are in the tank before the longnose hawk they should be fine.

Any thoughts on order I should introduce the fish in? I assume flame angel last, any thoughts on what 4 or 5 to start with?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add Pajama Cardinal to my newbie tank which has 2 Gladiators, a Canary Blenny and a Electric Indigo Dottyback? If yes, just one or should I add a pair? It is a Red Sea Reefer with 54 gallons in the DT.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on order I should introduce the fish in? I assume flame angel last, any thoughts on what 4 or 5 to start with?
Firefish first, flame angel last, rest of the order doesn't matter.
Can I add Pajama Cardinal to my newbie tank which has 2 Gladiators, a Canary Blenny and a Electric Indigo Dottyback? If yes, just one or should I add a pair? It is a Red Sea Reefer with 54 gallons in the DT.
That should be fine, though keep an eye on how the dottyback reacts.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F
That should be fine, though keep an eye on how the dottyback reacts.

That was why I asked about adding a pair of Pajamas instead of one. Is there strength in numbers in a case like this? Also will the Pajamas do better as a pair than a solo act?
Currently the Dottyback is behaving with the 2 Gladiators and the much smaller Blenny so I am hopeful it will work.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back