Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation is to skip the dottyback. Consider a royal gramma instead.

Then you still have more options open to you.

ORA says their Electric Indigo Dottyback is “rather peaceful” and unfortunately the order has already been placed. I guess that I will have to carefully weigh my future additions.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA says their Electric Indigo Dottyback is “rather peaceful” and unfortunately the order has already been placed. I guess that I will have to carefully weigh my future additions.
Rather peaceful for a dottyback isn't saying much...

Jayh86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any chrysiptera arnazae (Arnaz’s Damsels). How did you find them with territory aggression. These are the newer type, supposedly smallest and most peaceful of damsels.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any chrysiptera arnazae (Arnaz’s Damsels). How did you find them with territory aggression. These are the newer type, supposedly smallest and most peaceful of damsels.
This is among my favorite damsels. They are comparable to azure damsels in size and demeanor.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - Building my RSR 425XL (88 gallon DT, about 47x22x22 inches) and starting to think about fish for the system -

• Really Want
    • 2-3 Ocellaris Clowns (Wife wants Nemo... so I'm getting her some Nemo's)
    • 2-3 Ctenochaetus Tangs
      • Tomini
      • Kole Eye
      • Twin Spot
    • 2-3 Wrasses
      • Cirrhilabrus
        • Exquisite Fairy
        • Lineatus Fairy
        • Pintail Fairy
        • Fine-Spotted Fairy
      • Halichoeres
        • Red Lined
        • Christmas
        • Adorned
        • Raident
      • Paracheilinus (pretty much all seem peaceful?)
    • Goby + Shrimp
    • Mandrin (eventually)
  • Possible?
    • Dwarf Angel like a Coral Beauty/Flame/Potters or similar?
    • Blenny
    • Basslet
    • 5+ Chromis
    • 3+ Anthias
It's going to be a mostly LPS mixed reef with a 1-2in sand bed and a mix of open and "cavy" aquascape. I'm pretty sure that if I get all of that I'm over stocking, so I'm looking for advise or other suggestions along these lines. Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - Building my RSR 425XL (88 gallon DT, about 47x22x22 inches) and starting to think about fish for the system -

• Really Want
    • 2-3 Ctenochaetus Tangs
      • Tomini
      • Kole Eye
      • Twin Spot
    • 2-3 Wrasses
      • Cirrhilabrus
        • Exquisite Fairy
        • Lineatus Fairy
        • Pintail Fairy
        • Fine-Spotted Fairy
      • Halichoeres
        • Red Lined
        • Christmas
        • Adorned
        • Raident
      • Paracheilinus (pretty much all seem peaceful?)
    • Goby + Shrimp
    • Mandrin (eventually)
  • Possible?
    • Dwarf Angel like a Coral Beauty/Flame/Potters or similar?
    • Blenny
    • Basslet
    • 5+ Chromis
    • 3+ Anthias
It's going to be a mostly LPS mixed reef with a 1-2in sand bed and a mix of open and "cavy" aquascape. I'm pretty sure that if I get all of that I'm over stocking, so I'm looking for advise or other suggestions along these lines. Thanks!
In that size tank only get 1 tang.

What is the scientific name for Christmas wrasse? There are a few that go by that name. If you are referring to H. ornatissimus, that is not a good choice, as they become aggressive to other wrasses.

A mandarin will not do well in that size tank with that many Halichoeres wrasses.

Angels are a risk for LPS.

Chromis often kill each other off.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

• Really Want
I would check out the clowns from ORA. I recently introduced 2 Gladiators to my tank which were shipped as a pair and they have bonded nicely. Also I would only recommend getting two and not three. ;)
https://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/clownfish/

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank only get 1 tang.

What is the scientific name for Christmas wrasse? There are a few that go by that name. If you are referring to H. ornatissimus, that is not a good choice, as they become aggressive to other wrasses.

A mandarin will not do well in that size tank with that many Halichoeres wrasses.

Angels are a risk for LPS.

Chromis often kill each other off.

I was looking at H. claudia - spent a bunch of time reading evolved's wrasse post and saw that warning as something to watch out for when getting a "Christmas". I wasn't thinking about getting all 8+ of those wrasses (I didn't think I could handle all of them in an 88 gallon) but probably 3, one from each genus depending on what's readily available when I go to buy.

As for the Chromis, I've read that they can be murderous jerks, but some are ok if kept in odd numbered groups of 5 or more, so I was looking at the more peaceful versions like the Webers or Vanderbuilt chromis. Of course if the majority opinion is avoid, I'll heed the wisdom of the forum and keep away!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at H. claudia - spent a bunch of time reading evolved's wrasse post and saw that warning as something to watch out for when getting a "Christmas". I wasn't thinking about getting all 8+ of those wrasses (I didn't think I could handle all of them in an 88 gallon) but probably 3, one from each genus depending on what's readily available when I go to buy.

As for the Chromis, I've read that they can be murderous ********, but some are ok if kept in odd numbered groups of 5 or more, so I was looking at the more peaceful versions like the Webers or Vanderbuilt chromis. Of course if the majority opinion is avoid, I'll heed the wisdom of the forum and keep away!
I still would be leery of a mandarin with a Halichoeres in that size tank. They each deplete about 50g systems worth of pods.

Even in other species of chromis, I've found groups don't work out well long term. Consider Lepidozygous instead. They are a hardy social damsel that behaves similarly to anthias.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still would be leery of a mandarin with a Halichoeres in that size tank. They each deplete about 50g systems worth of pods.

Even in other species of chromis, I've found groups don't work out well long term. Consider Lepidozygous instead. They are a hardy social damsel that behaves similarly to anthias.

Fusilier damsel? I thought damselfish were even worse than chromis when it came to being murderous jerks? I constantly see the striped and domino damselfish beating the crap out of everything else in their tanks at the LFS. I had looked at the Springeri for a bit, but the damsels at the LFS made me drop them from consideration. Of course, this is why we come here to ask these questions, and not just rely on PetCo.

I'll go read up on Fusilier, thanks!

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put a flame angel and a regal angel in a 120 gal?

Not an expert, but I know that most recommendations for a Regal are 125+ gallons. Plus I've read that they can be very territorial Putting one in a "smaller" tank with another angel is probably not going to work out long term.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, follow up about the "50g worth of pods" comment - When doing that calc, do you only take the display tank into consideration, or should you factor in the size of the sump as well? Because if you include the 24g sump, it's a 112g setup.

The Real 118

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon

2 black ice clown
1 black cap basslet
1 Male lyretail Anthias 2 female
1 orange spotted blenny
3 chromis
2 zebra dartfish
3 yellow line cardinals
Orchid dottyback
Yellow head jawfish
Scott's fairy wrasse
Potters angel

Any issues? I plan on stocking down the list once a week. So all added over 11 weeks. New to saltwater. Been in freshwater for 15 years... just not very familiar with saltwater fish and comparability.

Eric6465

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m keeping a clown harem tank in a 75 gallon housing 20 clowns. Thinking about getting two skunk cleaners in the near future but not so sure about other fish. Any recommendations?

3s1k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 lagoon. Lots mixed SPS but mostly LPS. Current critters is a Coral Banded Shrimp and a single Bangai Cardinal.

What else could I put in there?

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i am new to this hobby i am setting up a FOWLR salt water tank initially though i intended to make it a reef eventually. I wanted to know if i can keep this fish in the same tank or not ,thanks in advance.
Tank specifications
L*B*H = 81*24*30(inches) roughly 960 liters with a sump of 255 liters , so a total water volume of 321 gallons. The sump will have refugium with magicmud and a algae scraper also.
Lighting will be cfl bulbs with atnic tubes
I will have a modified two part dosing system.
After the tank is properly cycled for 6 months i look to add the living stocks in the following order
1. Bubble tip anemone
2. After the bta is settled a pair of clown fish (1 male + 1 female)
3. Copper band butterfly
4. After the CBB is well adapted and eating 1 pair of Moorish idol
5. After few months a yellow tang
6. At the same time a powder blue tang
7. After few months a Achilles tang
8. And last addition will be emperor angel.
before buying each fish i will make sure i am buying a healthy specimen , observing its eating or not at the lfs.
You are biting off some incredible challenge there--- I'd rethink the stocking and start with less of a challenge and maybe in a year or two try this 'tower' you are attempting to climb. For one, at some point you will have a health issue and often the invertebrates stand in the way of treating the fish. Secondly you are loving some very aggressive types and some very passive types. That can be 'pulled off' but you must plan both size and order of introduction. I think you have the order right but you will need to have larger passive species first followed by smaller aggressive species. Normally it is advisable to introduce progressively larger species each time, but the variable of 'gentle types' with bully types changes that order. The other thing you need to consider is size of community members to water volume/dimension. 30 inches is a smaller tank in the scheme of things-- so the members should be size appropriate. The clowns' for instance are not 'travelers' and 'browsers' and will be quite content in that dimension. But tangs and big angels will be cramped in a year or two. If you study the behavior of fish at the store, you will soon get a sense of who gets big and who gets nasty and who needs swimming room. If a fish is pacing like a tiger in a cage, the tank is too small. Most of those type tis really need 6 to 8 feet of swimming space. So may 4-5 feet is the compromise. Anyway I'd suggest the BTA and clowns for sure. But stick to the pigmy angel group and the copper band. maybe rock lovers and rock huggers like royal gramma, hawk fish, fire fish, etc.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusilier damsel? I thought damselfish were even worse than chromis when it came to being murderous ********? I constantly see the striped and domino damselfish beating the crap out of everything else in their tanks at the LFS. I had looked at the Springeri for a bit, but the damsels at the LFS made me drop them from consideration. Of course, this is why we come here to ask these questions, and not just rely on PetCo.

I'll go read up on Fusilier, thanks!
Not all damsels are the aggressive demon-spawn that we think of that dominoes are. Fusilier damsels behave like an anthias, and there are some Chrysiptera species, such as springeri, azure, and talbots that better behaved.

Can I put a flame angel and a regal angel in a 120 gal?
They should be fine. 120g is borderline for a regal, but doable. And regals are usually not as aggressive as other large angel species.
Oh, follow up about the "50g worth of pods" comment - When doing that calc, do you only take the display tank into consideration, or should you factor in the size of the sump as well? Because if you include the 24g sump, it's a 112g setup.
Total system volume, but don't forget that rocks displace water.
75 gallon

2 black ice clown
1 black cap basslet
1 Male lyretail Anthias 2 female
1 orange spotted blenny
3 chromis
2 zebra dartfish
3 yellow line cardinals
Orchid dottyback
Yellow head jawfish
Scott's fairy wrasse
Potters angel

Any issues? I plan on stocking down the list once a week. So all added over 11 weeks. New to saltwater. Been in freshwater for 15 years... just not very familiar with saltwater fish and comparability.
Potters angels may nip corals.

75g is a little small for a Scotts fairy. They are very active. They also tend to lose their bright colors in captivity.
I’m keeping a clown harem tank in a 75 gallon housing 20 clowns. Thinking about getting two skunk cleaners in the near future but not so sure about other fish. Any recommendations?
I would not add other fish. 20 fish for a 75g is pretty heavily stocked, and if multiple pairs form there won't be much space for other fish.
I have a 25 lagoon. Lots mixed SPS but mostly LPS. Current critters is a Coral Banded Shrimp and a single Bangai Cardinal.

What else could I put in there?
Neon goby, stigmatura blenny, firefish, clown goby, pike blenny, yashe haze goby are a few choices.
You are biting off some incredible challenge there--- I'd rethink the stocking and start with less of a challenge and maybe in a year or two try this 'tower' you are attempting to climb. For one, at some point you will have a health issue and often the invertebrates stand in the way of treating the fish. Secondly you are loving some very aggressive types and some very passive types. That can be 'pulled off' but you must plan both size and order of introduction. I think you have the order right but you will need to have larger passive species first followed by smaller aggressive species. Normally it is advisable to introduce progressively larger species each time, but the variable of 'gentle types' with bully types changes that order. The other thing you need to consider is size of community members to water volume/dimension. 30 inches is a smaller tank in the scheme of things-- so the members should be size appropriate. The clowns' for instance are not 'travelers' and 'browsers' and will be quite content in that dimension. But tangs and big angels will be cramped in a year or two. If you study the behavior of fish at the store, you will soon get a sense of who gets big and who gets nasty and who needs swimming room. If a fish is pacing like a tiger in a cage, the tank is too small. Most of those type tis really need 6 to 8 feet of swimming space. So may 4-5 feet is the compromise. Anyway I'd suggest the BTA and clowns for sure. But stick to the pigmy angel group and the copper band. maybe rock lovers and rock huggers like royal gramma, hawk fish, fire fish, etc.
Good advice, but the post you are answering is from 2015, so that ship may have already sailed...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back